Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2007, 03:00 PM
DJDD

Where to observe- around Melbourne

Hello!

I am a new member to IIS and looking forward to some good reading (and observing!).

Anyway, I have spent some time looking at posts and think I would like to start with a Bintel/GS 8" or 10" dob. This post will be Q1 of 3.

I live in bayside Melbourne with very restricted views of the sky (only directly up, really. So, I would like some advice on where I can go to observe that is not too far from Melbourne.

(a) that I can get to on a weekday (I work), which will give me a couple of hours observing;
(b) where I can go for a longer session on a Friday or Saturday night only;
(c) where I could go for a longer session and stay overnight on a weekend

In each case, I guess I would like not to be bothered by passers-by or two many campers.

Thanks for any advice.

DJDD
Old 04-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Im sure you would be welcome at the Mornington Peninsula Astronomical society (MPAS). they have a nicely set up viewing area at The Briars just south of Mornington.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:26 PM
DJDD

Thanks, Starkler!
That was the quickest reply to a post to a forum I have ever experienced!

Just after posting and I have been reading /surfing the net a lot, found the MPAS. They have public nights teh first friday of every month. This would be good. Do they also have viewing nights for potential members, etc. on their general meeting nights? I live near cheltenham so MPAS would be good. Do they allow members to use The Briars on nights when there are no meetings?

www.mpas.asn.au is not responding at the moment so will look later for details.

thanks,
DJDD
Old 04-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Louwai (Bryan)
SDM Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDD View Post
(a) that I can get to on a weekday (I work), which will give me a couple of hours observing;
(b) where I can go for a longer session on a Friday or Saturday night only;
(c) where I could go for a longer session and stay overnight on a weekend

DJDD
Yes I agree, MPAS site is about 45mins from me (Mulgrave) Still a bit of glow from Melb city but for a relatively short drive not too bad.

For longer / overnight sessions I highly recomend the Snake valley site 25mins west of Ballarat. Contact Ken (Ballarat Dragons) on this forum & he'll set you straight.
Cheers, Bryan
Old 04-08-2007, 07:01 PM
DJDD

thanks for the reply, Louwai.

MPAS does sound like the go.
as i get more experienced, going further afield will be possible. actually, that would only be about 2 hours from my place so...

cheers,
DJDD
Old 05-08-2007, 12:31 AM
wolfman

DJDD, MPAS site is quite good, or you can travel another 15 minutes and be in Sommers/Ballnaring area, lots of farmland, dark sky's, and the other side of Authers Seat away from a good deal of Melbourne's glow, I had a good look around this area on Friday night as I come from McCrae and was supprised how good the sky looked, lots of quiet roads to find a spot to set up in peace.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:39 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

DJDD,

Yep, your certainly welcome to come up here and share in our dark sky. Quite a few members in here are members of our 'Snake Valley Astronomical Association' and come up from Melbourne on a regular basis.

You can also stay overnight if you don't feel like driving home in the wee hours without sleep. That's what Eric usually does.

http://snake-valley-astro.homelinux.org/
Old 05-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Tannehill

Mel sites

I live in Sandringham, not far from you. I've joined Ken and Bryan and Eric at SV, like it, and will go back when I have right combination of an early escape from work; weather; and the option to sleep in there or back at home. Next couple Fridays if possible....but I doubt this crappy weather will be so accomodating.

Otherwise, like Bryan, I like MPAS for convenient proximity. Once you join, you can come out anytime and use the site, any night. Very good crowd, admittedly northern sky is glowy, but zenith south and west are fine.

The weather between the sites can vary greatly. SV is higher up and it's been clear there when cloudy here. So having a contact up there who can put his/her retinas on the horizon there before you peel outa your garage is useful.

Regards

Scott
Old 05-08-2007, 03:54 PM
DJDD

thanks, Tannehill, ballaratdragons and wolman!

I had a look at the SVAA site- very informative (videos and all).

from everyone's comments it seems that MPAS is a good option for public night, membership and general access to the site.

Snake Valley seems like a great place that is only about 1.5 hours away.
as well, everyone seems very accommodating so membership there would also be very good!

also, wolfman, your comment about driving over the other side of Arthur's Seat suggests it can simply be enough to drive out to a quiet spot.

I do know a few people in the Dandenongs so that may also be an option.

thanks, all for your suggestions.
DJDD