Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-07-2007, 04:59 PM
snug

My Telrad

Hello All

It just occurred to me that maybe Im supposed to align the Telrad. When i got the scope i read up threads on placement and it now sits between the finderscope and the eye piece.I did align the finderscope during the day... Do i do the Telrad at night, and if i have to move it around to align it wont that then throw the alignment of the finderscope out..

Ive added photo of where ive placed (in case i got it wrong..lol), although i use the finderscipe on same side as eyepiece.

Regards Snug
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (scope_012.jpg)
42.6 KB107 views
Old 14-07-2007, 05:04 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Hi Snug.

Yes, align the Telrad at night. Use the three screws at the back which face you when you are looking through the viewing window to shift the illuminated reticle around. No, it won't throw the finder out. Just make sure your Telrad corresponds with the finder
Old 14-07-2007, 06:30 PM
snug

no worries i will give it a go...hate the tought of stuffing with screws case i mess it up...but i will try...im going to be great at this collimation bizzo..laugh...

ta heaps matt
Old 15-07-2007, 02:32 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Snug,

Adjusting the Telrad has no effect on either the finderscope or the main scope, it is entirely self contained.

Just centre a bright star in your FOV then by adjusting the three screws at the back of the Telrad centre the stars in the circles. Don't forget that while you are doing this everything is moving so repeat it a few times till you get it right and can sight a star in your Telrad then go straight to the eyepiece.

I usually line mine up using a 9mm lense to really centre the circles.

Cheers
Old 15-07-2007, 04:46 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Snug, see if you can arrange everything so you can look through your finderscope (and Telrad) from the same side as your focusser. Moving from one side to the other cannot be any fun. Eric

Last edited by erick; 15-07-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 15-07-2007, 05:49 PM
snug

Thanks Erick they are all on the same side..the photo is just my daughter playing with it...Thanks Rob for advice about the eyepiece. Its one area where i dont have a clue at all, so every little bit helps

Ta Snug
Old 16-07-2007, 12:42 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

I should of mounted my telrad like yours snug.. my 10" let me mount it
between the finder and focuser which in hindsight isn't that great as
its very easy to fog the telrad up just by looking through the finder and
breathing.
Old 20-07-2007, 06:23 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

I had the same problem Graham, a single breath while using the RA finderscope would fog over my telrad - I carefully pulled the telrad up and off the double sided tape and repositioned it. It's still between the finderscope and focusser, but further back down the body of the scope so my cheek just clears the "screen" while using the finderscope.
Old 23-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Mr. Subatomic

I just bought one the other day. I found that the most comfortable position for it to be is in between the focuser and finder right up against the rim at the top end of the telescope. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough room so I had to shift the focuser base over to the right, and this involved drilling a new hole into the OTA (very scary experience), but it all worked out.
Old 25-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by snug View Post
no worries i will give it a go...hate the tought of stuffing with screws case i mess it up...but i will try...im going to be great at this collimation bizzo..laugh...

ta heaps matt
One of the best things you can do is pull everything apart and then put it back together. To get the best out of your scope, you really need to kmow how it works and overcome this fear of moving screws. A newtonian such as the one in your thumbnail is pretty hard to damage unless you do something stupid like rubbing your finger on a mirror or dropping it.
Geoff
Old 25-07-2007, 01:26 PM
snug

Thanks Geoff

I will have a go..although between work and cloud cover the gods are conspiring against me at the moment..

Snug