Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 10:27 PM
IanL

Jupiter 10th July....Brisbane

Took some avi's of Jupiter tonight. 3rd attempt at this with the new mount and toucam

Cheers
Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (111111.jpg)
8.8 KB55 views
Old 10-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Ian

Very nice - you're really getting the hang of this now. Nice composition with the GRS. What's next, a motorised focuser - it sure makes focusing a lot easier than tweaking the Tak focuser manually.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 10-07-2007, 11:08 PM
IanL

Thanks Dennis, I am happy so far with the outcome for the 3rd go. What next maybe a better camera like DMK or something and a 2x or 4x power mate.

Feel as thou i am just not getting close enough to grasp detail on the planet. I may be totally wrong on this but thats my feeling while imaging.

Ian
Old 11-07-2007, 07:35 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Great result Ian!

The image scale is small - what barlow are you using at the moment? Or is that prime focus?

Stick with the ToUcam for a while until you get the hang of imaging. The ToUcam is a great learning tool and you can get experience of RGB image processing even with the ToUcam, as a training exercise before you get the DMK. You may even get better results with RGB processing. That's something for another day though.

Get the image scale up with a barlow and keep practising!
Old 11-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Law View Post
Feel as thou i am just not getting close enough to grasp detail on the planet. I may be totally wrong on this but thats my feeling while imaging.
Ian
Hi Ian

The weather system called the "jet stream" is what is robbing you of detail on Jupiter! Have a look at this IIS link:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/?weather

Adding a Barlow will not help under these circumstances; Jupiter's disc will look blurry and you won't be able to focus as the atmosphere is in such a violent state of motion that the disc of Jupiter looks like it is cleaving and shearing as you look at it on screen.

Cheers

Dennis