Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 08:07 PM
sammyff
Jimbo

Help me, I'm getting old, but I'm new. (at astronomy)

I have a problem, actually I have lots of them. But the one I'm seeking help on relates to finding things to look at. Being new at this, I havn't found my way around the sky yet. And my Melways doesn't include the Milky Way yet. Only owning a 4 inch Celestion Newt, so far all I've found is the moon (because it was right in front of my nose) and with a lot of fumbling around I found Saturn, tiny but.......wow.....it's so breathtaking. Can anybody give me good advice on what reference material is easily accessible and cheap to guide me around the sky to find the other planets at any given time. What is best for a dummy like me, software, recommended reading, roadmap, where should a beginner start looking.

Regards, Jimbo
Old 11-03-2007, 08:27 PM
snowyskiesau

I'd recommend getting a copy of 'Astronomy Australia 2007'. It's crammed with useful
information and a month by month list of what you'll see in the sky. Well worth the $20.

If you're after a computer based sky chart, then have a look at the following freebies:

Stellarium: http://www.stellarium.org
Carte du ceil: http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/

This should be a good start.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:37 PM
sammyff
Jimbo

Thanks Geoff

Thank you Geoff, I'll spend that $20 tomorrow. And I'll check out the freeware tonight. Much appreciated.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

High Jimbo,
If you are in a dark location you will be surprised what your scope will show you . If you can try running along the Milky Way you will surprise yourself what you stumble over . And dont worry if you look for something and cant locate it I lose various galaxies from time to time but they turn up another night . Try to cruise around as much as you can as well as following a chart . But with more viewing you you be happy with your scope and what you can find with it.
best wishes
alex
Old 11-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

And don't forget this:

http://skymaps.com/

Cheers,

Brian.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:34 PM
okiscopey (Mike)
Rocky Peak Observatory

Welcome to IIS Jimbo.

A plansiphere is useful ... see page 9 of the Astronomy 2007 publication when you get it.

There's plenty of help available on this site - you only have to ask.

By the way, you should change your latitude in your profile from 37.817
to - 37.817 (i.e. south of the equator). That way, you won't seem to be 8,334 km away from where I am in Sydney!
Old 11-03-2007, 09:39 PM
toetoe (Peter)
Always Trying

G'day Jimbo, lots of stuff available for astronomy, as mentioned above with Astronomy Australia 2007, would be a great start. DON'T be put off with the size of your telescope, you will have so much to see once you start understanding the night sky with what you have. I have a ball with my little fella.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:42 PM
sammyff
Jimbo

Thanks everyone

Thanks all of you so far, I've followed the links you gave me and downloaded some of the freeware. Great value. And Okiscopey, thanks for pointing out that I am lost, I will endeavour to find my current location and move a bit closer to your part of the planet.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:53 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hi Jimbo,

If you want a great weekend learning HEAPS of stuff, have a look at this thread. You are certainly welcome to come along. It is in 5 days time

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=15171
Old 11-03-2007, 09:57 PM
toetoe (Peter)
Always Trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyff View Post
thanks for pointing out that I am lost,
We all are Jimbo
Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Jimbo, a suggestion with Astronomy 2007. I cut out the star maps and laminated them for use outdoors, you only need to do it once and they are a good source for reference. As mike said, a Plansiphere is invaluable for determining exactly what areas are visible at any given time and date and a red torch (Energiser hake a nice red head light for around $30) will allow you to use your astro-melways without affecting your night vision.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:28 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Jimbo,

As you can find the moon easily maybe the Virtual Moon Atlas would be really helpful.

As mentioned before a planisphere and binocs make a powerful combination so you can learn the constellations.

Keep looking up
Old 12-03-2007, 03:23 PM
astro_nutt

Hi Jimbo and a big to IIS..The Astronimical Society of Victoria is holding their Messier Night down at their dark sky site about 13 klms North from Heathcote on March the 17th and 18th...for more info look up
www.asv.org.au
Lots to see and do..local vendors, wineries, raffles, trivia, camping, skytours, lots of scopes too!!
Cheers!
Old 25-03-2007, 08:18 AM
sammyff
Jimbo

Thanks all

Thanks all of you for your advice. I purchased the items you all suggested and it made a big difference. And thanks for the invitation to your astronomy night out Astro_nut, sounded like a great gig. Actually this week I packed up the tent and took the clan to the Snowy River. After the rain cleared, the brightest sky I've ever seen surrounded us so out came the telescope and wow. This was my first late night session and we found things up there that I didn't even know existed, it was great. Saturn blew the family away. We saw Neptune at around 2am, it was huge, saw 3 of it's moons. But I must say, it was flat and featureless. I'm thinking that using a filter might improve the contrast, don't know much about them though, any suggestions there.
Jimbo