Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-05-2024, 07:03 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

An earlier mention by myself about not having Lego but being amazed by the K'Nex modelling rod kits my son owns a lot of, here's one reason why I'm particularly fond of it.
My son often describes ideas relating to something he'd like to do and I'm often too stupid to understand what he's trying to explain. From a young age he would run out and build a working model from K'Nex bits and pieces.

I recently acquired a ceramic craftsman's revolving platform and we wanted to do a full 3D render of a human head (foam thingie I picked up cheap). We can use the Kinect from the Xbox One to do the 3D but we needed the platform rotating at an even speed for a good render (it's going to doctors to explain headache regions I know about from well over 50 years of suffering, regions, causes and treatments for many).

Anyway, we needed a small stepper motor attached and while I was looking for scrap aluminium bar to twist up to make it my son ran in, grabbed a few K'Nex bits and pieces and slapped the pictured mechanism together. It works extremely well. The Rivnuts were already set into a piece of aluminium and drilled out to accept the K'nex rods for a motor mount on another project (the motor wasn't strong enough)

My son could never use the Lego, fine motor skill problems as a child, couldn't use Mechano either but his builds with K'nex would blow most peoples minds.

A couple of other examples is a full safe type mechanism for a shed door with both electronic locking and manual locking (work either way) and a model designed for a revolving ladder system around my pier for the Newtonian with motor driven variable step height and rotation around the pier. I'll make it one day.
No images of the other two projects for obvious reasons, they are one of a kind designs I will get to building for real out of steel and alloy one day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSC_5294 (5887x3929) (4709x3142) (3766x2513) (3012x2009) (2409x1606) (1926x1284).jpg)
166.2 KB17 views
Click for full-size image (DSC_5296 (5887x3929) (4709x3142) (3766x2513) (3012x2009) (2409x1606) (1926x1284).jpg)
158.3 KB14 views
Old 28-05-2024, 05:48 AM
leon

Impressive Leo, thanks for sharing that.

Leon
Old 28-05-2024, 08:10 AM
LonelySpoon (Neville)

That's a great story Leo. How did the scanner work out? I've got the bits to do one but haven't got to it.

I love that there are so many ways kids can express their creativity these days- whether art or craft related.

BTW I just finished last year's Father's Day gift, the big Galaxy Explorer kit: 9 bags and 1254 pieces.

My grandson did the first 3 bags while I finished the orrery.

Two great things: still playing/building with kids, and now my kids buy me the Lego.

Neville
LSO
Old 28-05-2024, 11:47 AM
Leo.G (Leo)

Quote:
That's a great story Leo. How did the scanner work out? I've got the bits to do one but haven't got to it.
Sorry, I'm going right off topic here (my long winded explanation).

Not so good so far but it's a USB3 connection problem.
My sons older Lenovo server (S30 from memory) got upgraded to a later version of Win 10 and the USB3 ports were no longer recognised. He tries to roll back the driver and Windows says the best driver is already in use (Arrogant mongrels). We first thought it was the southbridge chip but he found the USB3 works just fine with Linux so it's a M$ thing.
We've come up with a hopeful cure, purchased a PCI to USB3 host bus adapter (not the $24 thing, a $150 unit) which will accept the systems front USB3 headers, hopefully that gets here soon.
My son did try using his small Lenovo 2 in 1 (tablet/laptop) with an I7 processor but the 3D scans are graphic processor heavy and the little unit just couldn't do it. When you get to it use something with a reasonable graphics processor if available (my son has a 3060 in his Lenovo) and if you have problems with the device powering on and off by itself clean the power barrel jack in the adapter if you use one.

We have played in the past with the older 360 Kinect and got some reasonable results.

We had issues besides the USB ports which involved a full strip down of the Kinect (Xbox One unit), complex little unit but found our problem with it dropping in and out of connection wasn't the Kinect like everyone online suggests "cut the fan wires it will run fine" (after replacing thermal pads on everything requiring it), I studied electronics, I DO NOT cut fan wires to fix a problem. It turned out the Xbox one to One X adapter we were using had corroded internal circuit board and connections (like EVERYTHING which comes in from China electronics related, they don't ship them, they simply float them across in a container and sea water ingress damages everything electronics, they must). Anyway, cleaned up the solder joints on the barrel jack power inlet, still didn't fix the unit then while using a toothbrush and contact cleaner some of the contact cleaner must have dripped inside the barrel jack and plugging the power in for the third time got the device working properly. Pulled the thing out and sprayed the barrel jack internals and poked a small brush in to clean internal corrosion off and the thing works like a dream now.

Other than that we're hoping for good results, this thing I'm doing is going to my local doctor (he will share it) and my neurologist (she will share it too). I may actually send it to the head neurologist in every major Sydney hospital which has a neurology department because I've been in them all for extended periods of time dating back a lot of years.
I've had more MRI brain scans than most people. They still haven't found anything, just a vacuous void.

Last edited by Leo.G; 28-05-2024 at 12:02 PM.