Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-05-2024, 10:10 PM
Cyberman (Rob)

whirlpool

Hello all. I not infrequently get lured to try to image this galaxy. Usually with a white-out result. This time I got something. Only 30 mins as I couldn't stand looking at white-out subs and very ordinary guiding any longer and I thought I was wasting my time again. 600D modded camera, 250 F4 Newtonian, Eq6R.
Cheers,Rob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (whirlpool reducedv.jpg)
209.1 KB129 views
Old 17-05-2024, 04:51 PM
triplej3 (Jordo)

hey rob do you plan on getting pixinsight in the future?
Old 18-05-2024, 09:44 AM
blindman
Now I see !!!

Wow.
Couldn't believe that quality photo is done with Canon.
Old 19-05-2024, 06:59 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hey Rob you gotta be happy with that for sure...
If I may suggest it may be beneficial to take some dark frames to assist noise reduction in your image...

It is rather easy and sometimes the impact is quiet noticeable...

Anyways I am a little envious given I have had one session in six months due to the weather here...keep them coming.

alex
Old 20-05-2024, 08:45 AM
Bodon (Steve)

Nice photo
Old 21-05-2024, 06:28 PM
Kuz

Top capture rob . Might have a go at this one myself . Butt have been receiving the same weather as Alex I have only had 5 clear nights this year as well and 2 of them where full moon.
Old 22-05-2024, 12:04 PM
Cyberman (Rob)

Thanks Steve and Blindman. I used a cheap ($200) second hand canon 600D that I modded myself. LPF2 removed but IR LPF1 filter retained.
Jordo, I use ASTAP for sub analysis and stacking, SIRIL and GIMP. I might consider Pixinsight as I progress with the hobby. Do you know how much it costs?
Alex, I did use 30 each of darks, flats and dark flats. I just think this target is at the limits of my ability and equipment. Each individual sub was virtually a white out.
My telescope was almost parallel to the ground (15 degrees) shooting this target from Brisbane suburbs. No external filter. There was a lot of atmosphere to shoot through and there was some moon lurking also. It also challenged my cable management. The guiding was also a challenge. It is however a great Northern hemisphere target and I might try to get more data.
Kuz, it is a great target and worth a go, especially further north from gladsome. Good luck.
Cheers, Rob
Old 22-05-2024, 02:19 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

Your image came out very well indeed for the conditions you were shooting in.

May I suggest a bit of noise reduction (or slightly raising the blackpoint) to remove the green / purple speckles from the background?

Cheers,
V.
Old 24-05-2024, 04:39 PM
triplej3 (Jordo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
Thanks Steve and Blindman. I used a cheap ($200) second hand canon 600D that I modded myself. LPF2 removed but IR LPF1 filter retained.
Jordo, I use ASTAP for sub analysis and stacking, SIRIL and GIMP. I might consider Pixinsight as I progress with the hobby. Do you know how much it costs?
Alex, I did use 30 each of darks, flats and dark flats. I just think this target is at the limits of my ability and equipment. Each individual sub was virtually a white out.
My telescope was almost parallel to the ground (15 degrees) shooting this target from Brisbane suburbs. No external filter. There was a lot of atmosphere to shoot through and there was some moon lurking also. It also challenged my cable management. The guiding was also a challenge. It is however a great Northern hemisphere target and I might try to get more data.
Kuz, it is a great target and worth a go, especially further north from gladsome. Good luck.
Cheers, Rob

hey rob pixinsight is expensive. it does have a 30day free trail. what got me into pix was youtube and all these custom made scripts people make witch are very powerful and many are free to use. i noticed your image has abit of a gradient and very small amount of banding from the dslr witch is all normal and can be removed (: