Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2024, 10:34 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Advice re smart watch.

I did have one but just did not work as expected however I saw the potential. ...and I Think we have discussed this before however time has passed and I seek input...

Ideal for me...is blood pressure, and if they have it oxygen levels... After those it is a bonus...but carefree and reliable ...these are life preservers for me... just those would make my life better..I have the blood pressure thing and an oxygen thing but if on my wrist it would be great...

Anyways personal experience greatly appreciated.

alex
Old 12-05-2024, 10:19 PM
glend (Glen)

Alex, I have a Samsung Smart Watch, it links to the Samsung Health app on my phone. It does blood pressure (after you calibrate it with a blood pressure cuff). It also does ECG, which basically examines your wave form looking for irregularities like Arterial Fibulation (AF). It tracks all the usual stuff, like how far you walk each day, sleep quality duration, etc. Follow this link to learn all about the Oxymetre feature:

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/m...oxygen-levels/

. There is also a Samsung Smart Ring due out in July which will bring new features. I used to have Fitbit watches, which were great for activity but very poor on health stuff. I plan on getting the Samsung Ring once I find out how It will integrate with the watch. The Samsung Watch also connects to your phone via Bluetooth and can receive messages direct to your watch. Many other features. It is an Android type platform. If your using an Apple phone then there is an Apple Watch with similiar functionality.
Old 13-05-2024, 03:32 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Glen
Much appreciated.
So thats a guitar and a watch you have put me onto this week...I think I need to put you on as my exclusive purchasing executive.

I haven't ordered yet as I really am not sure ... The pressure seems off a little as my oxygen monitor seems to be working quiet well now...good news I hiit 94 once ( talk about happy) and even after some exertion managed 91 last night ...it has been freaking me out when dropping down past 90 but I am starting to think I was not getting good contact.

Thanks again ( and thanks very much for the guitar heads up as it seems to be the answer for me... excellent reviews everywhere).

alex
Old 15-05-2024, 03:02 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

I tried a cheap ($79) Alid thing, I should toss it, it was far from accurate on anything. I once slept for 36 hours straight according to it, truth is 8 days with not a seconds sleep has been common my entire life and that's on top of the strongest sleeping medication the doctor can prescribe.
I've heard though if you spend more money (something I never have) the quality and accuracy improves.
Old 15-05-2024, 08:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have an appointment on Monday at Telstra (cause they were all sick when I called last Tuesday) . ..My tablet went down, my phone has shattered screen etc, I am on a plan probably over the top price wise these days... and they have the smart watches..I am getting the lot , phone, tablet and good watch the best that will actually work and do the job I expect or nothing at all....the tablet is my only entertainment ( excluding scopes guitars) so its worth whatever I have to pay per month... Hang the real debt....And perhaps see the what goes when someone dies where they stand..er lay

alex
Old 17-05-2024, 03:28 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Hi Alex,
If you go to Amazon, you'll see heaps of Smart Watches that measure blood glucose. They are all lying. The ones that measure blood pressue - they do.....and give wrong answers.

There may be some high end ones that come close to doing what they claim. Type their model number into YouTube and find a review where someone actually checks the features against real equipment.

My one actually measured sleep reasonably well for several months, but is just telling me garbage now.

When I most need a watch is when I'm driving somewhere for an appointment and want to check the time. With a dumb watch it is easy. With a Smart one, one has to shake one's wrist and hope the screen shows up, and even if it does, if wearing sunglasses one still can't read it.

The only useful thing about them is that if one wakes up in the middle of the night, one can easily check the time.
Regards,
Renato
Old 17-05-2024, 03:37 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks...I am flip flopping...

alex
Old 20-05-2024, 01:31 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Quote:
If you go to Amazon, you'll see heaps of Smart Watches that measure blood glucose. They are all lying. The ones that measure blood pressure - they do.....and give wrong answers.

Though only relatively cheap my Aldi thing showed blood pressure. It showed my blood pressure as good all of the time though I was dubious of the amount of steps it showed. Then at a doctors appointment he put the sphygmomanometer on my arm and told me my blood pressure was extremely high. I disputed the fact because I've always suffered from low blood pressure. I ended up buying my own proper machine and keep a regular check on it now.
Old 21-05-2024, 07:32 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Though only relatively cheap my Aldi thing showed blood pressure. It showed my blood pressure as good all of the time though I was dubious of the amount of steps it showed. Then at a doctors appointment he put the sphygmomanometer on my arm and told me my blood pressure was extremely high. I disputed the fact because I've always suffered from low blood pressure. I ended up buying my own proper machine and keep a regular check on it now.
I went to Telstra and got me a new phone, new tablet and the most expensive smart watch because it occurred to me that unlike buying elsewhere I know where they live and if there is any shortcoming in what I asked for I will demand the contacts be rescinded as I am able to do under the provisions of the Trade Practices Act.

I had to up my outlay on my plan but I will not notice the relatively small increase in the least...

So far I have been able to use the watch for text messages and that convenience is wonderful...
Old 21-05-2024, 11:17 AM
Leo.G (Leo)

I think a good quality smart watch would be a wonderful thing. I probably expected too much for my $79.
I'm not tight, you have to have money to be tight.
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
blindman
Now I see !!!

Smart watches are not healthy...
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindman View Post
Smart watches are not healthy...
R2

alex
Old Today, 05:27 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well so far I am still trying to figure out how to use the watch for the reasons I bought it...Blood Pressure and Oxygen levels...I am having all sorts of issues but staying calm until it all comes together as it will...however already I just love the fact that I can talk on the watch instead of the phone andbsame for text messages...both were unexpected but the convenience is just wonderful...

AND got me some cheap wireless headphones that has taken my music appreciation to a new level...prior all my music came via the phone speaker so the upgrade is somewhat mind numbing...

alex