Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-09-2006, 04:02 PM
dhumpie
Planetary neb & glob nut

Handholding is doable for the 20x80LW's if you use it like Glenn (or like me leaning on the bonnet of my car). And the best part is that it is only slightly heavier than the 15x70's so you can even use them on a standard photo tripod (I use them on my Optex T-550). In fact between my old Saxon 15x70's and my AOE 20x80LW's, the weight-length ratio makes the 20x80LW's easier to handhold (I know this sounds strange).

Also if you are like me and prefer DSO's to planetary and lunar then I say go for the 20x80's over the short tube 80's. The views in the 20x80's are definately brighter than in the 80ST for DSO's (comparable to a 4" refractor). Also the best part is that I don't need to grab eyepieces, filters, barlows etc making my super quick and dirty sessions even better. Less setup, more observing time. Evertime I plan a short holiday, I end up grabbing the binocs and the photo tripod over anything else. And I find that using both eyes, I prefer the views of extended nebulae over narrowband filters views in my 80ST!

Hope that helps.

Darren
p/s: Examples of some of the globs that show resolution include M22, Omega Centauri, Ara glob (NGC 6397), Pavo glob (NGC 6752)