Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 10:07 AM
dhumpie
Planetary neb & glob nut

I find the 10" to be just the right weight and length for my Hyundai Excel. And I agree that it is a great sit down scope

Darren
Old 08-09-2006, 11:09 AM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

I would recommend the 10" dob as well.

Any dob over 10" needs to be in truss configuration IMO for portability, which adds significantly to its cost and basically goes way over your budget after allowing for a couple of reasonable eyepieces.

In terms of optical quality IMO the GSO scopes are a little better. Unlike many people here, I had exposure to some of the early Synta/saxon scopes which had pretty average optics indeed and pretty poor quality control. Since Orion USA became involved with Synta about 5 yrs ago their influence has improved the quality control and standard immensely so they are now both very good. I have used a large number of GSO scopes and apart from one 8" sample, they have all been good (at worst), with a couple excellent. The GSO scopes have BY FAR the better focuser, with the Crayford thats offered on the deluxe version and IMO this is important. It's a pity the silver paint finish on the newer GSO scopes leaves something to be desired, that's easily fixed. My GSO scope is one of the early ones which has a Black Baked Enamel finish with a grey metal primer underneath. I have had this scope almost 5 years with no signs of rust spots. Obvious this quality of finish was discontinued because of cost. I also got VERY LUCKY with the optics in my scope. The mirror is outstanding, several forum members who have looked through my scope could confirm this.

CS-John B