Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Titanic

Which DOB

Has anybody done any comparisons between the Guan Sheng and Skywatcher 10" Dobs. I am looking to buy my first telescope and from all the research and advise it appears that Dobsonians are great performers for their price and do offer the ability to upgrade their performance later on.
I live in Perth and the Skywatcher is available over here. As is the usual Eastern States prices are cheaper and adding freight of $150 to the Guan Sheng both the prices are the same at $799. The Guan Sheng however comes with four eyepieces (Skywatcher has 2 ) it also has a fan and a right angle finder scope. Is the GS a better telescope and do the extra's make it a better buy still. The other thing I need to way up is that if buy local I will receive the support of the local supplier which as a beginner will be of great value . If I buy from the E.S. I am obviously on my own. Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 22-07-2006, 12:27 PM
astrogeek (Leon)
Stoogemaster

I believe that skywatcher use synta mirrors and I have heard that GSO are slightly better than synta. I would recomend the GSO because you are getting almost exactly the same scope, maybe slightly better, and also the few more added extras. As for the support issue, dont worry about it because you have this site .
Old 22-07-2006, 01:15 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I dont know that I would worry about service get the one you "like" best. Hope that makes it easy.
alex
Old 22-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

The gso's are available with a crayford focuser which is a very worthwhile thing to have. Apart from allowing a more accurate collimation, it makes the scope feel so much nicer to use.

The right angle finder is another usability feature which I wouldnt want to live without. This size of dob is most comfortably used from a seated position, and to crane ones neck to use a straight through finder becomes old quickly.
Having said that, with a right angle finder you'll want to add a pointing finder such as a rigel or telrad.

The information going around about gso vs synta optics I think is quite old now, and may be outdated. Synta may very well have caught up to gso these days? Has gso quality slipped? Who knows
I have seen comments made on CN that GSO are sorting their mirrors into best and the rest, for certain North American dealers. Is this true? I dont know

In favour of the GSO
  • Crayford focuser option
  • right angle finder
  • primary collimation thumbscrews as opposed to recessed philips head screws and hex grub lock screws on the SW

In favour of the Skywatcher
  • friction control knob on the altitude axis combined with rollers, giving a superior altitude motion. (the gso can modded easily enough)
  • Better paint finish on the optical tube
Old 22-07-2006, 07:10 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

G,day Titanic, welcome

I live in Perth and order from the eastern states and I have never had a problem. I personally own a 300mm GSO Dob (from over east) and it is fantastic BTW where in Perth do you live.

Cheers, Micko.
Old 22-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Titanic

Just down the road . Armadale . Have sent you an email

Regards

Steve
Old 23-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Titanic

Which Dob

I emailed Andrews yesterday to confirm price on GSO 10" DOB deluxe one with freight to the west at $799.00. As I said it is the same price as being asked for a locally suppled Skywatcher . It appears though that the two extra lenses and the right angle viewfinder and crayford style focusser would make the GSO a better purchase. The local suppliers internet site says about asking for a discount for cash but how much this is I dont know and he is away at the moment. With the local one I was advised to buy a 32mm Plossl lense and a Collimater both of these were in excess of $80 each to buy. I would assume that the one of the four lenses coming with the GSO would be a 32mm but I need to confirm this. I am a great believer in the saying that "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten" and it would seem both the Dobs are of a similar quality. I suppose if the Local supplier could sharpen his pencil a little supporting him would be the way to go.

Thanks for the members advice so far

Steve
Old 23-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Titanic

What to choose

What lenses would be the best to get . Andrews are offering four GS Plossl lenses with the 10" Dob. Which values would give me a good variety. Also I will get the Laser Collimater but Lee Andrews mentioned a Cheshire eyepiece collimater. Is this required in addition to the laser Collimater or is it a cheaper alternative.

Any advice would be appreciated

Steve
Old 23-07-2006, 07:12 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

got a 10 " dob off lee a couple of weeks back
a half/ok refractor a lot of years back and no reflector for me until now .

Let me have a shot from a newbies perspective so to speak
I did look at the sky 10 " before ordering .. the gso dob .. Imo .. has
just a few more whistles and bells on it at a glance .

You will have to shell for a collimater anyway... I'd just hang a little with the eyepiece buying ... FTM.. and see how it goes.
Old 23-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Titanic

Thanks Nightstalker

The GS comes with 4 Plossl lenses I have to pick which values I want and as I said is there a difference between the cheshire and the laser collimaters or do they do the same thing only differently and if so which is the best one to buy.
Old 23-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Plossls go 9 or 10mm, 15,20,30 or 32mm

As for a collimator, Id suggest you get the Orion combination cheshire available from Bintel. Its much better than the Andrews one which is too short to function as a sight tube.
Old 24-07-2006, 05:29 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

Just go with the Cheshire. I have a laser and I never use it.
Old 24-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Titanic

Thanks Mick I will probably go with the cheshire and the eyepieces as follows 6, 10, 20, and 32mm Does that sound about right. I would like to have a chat with you as you are near me and have had some experience with purchasing ex E.S. I have been in today to see the loacal guy and he can not supply for around three weeks
Please email me if you want contact

Steve
Old 24-07-2006, 06:30 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

g'day steve. optically, unless you are an expert you probably wont know the difference I sure as hell wouldnt.

so its six of one 1/2 doz of the other. the SW has tensio handles, the GS springs. some dont like the springs and most who have used the handles like them. the finish is said to be better on the SW...

you will be happy with either
Old 24-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Titanic

Well That's It

Ok I have made my mind up

I'm going with the Skywatcher. I have found another supplier locally who will sell it for $689. and $1 delivery along with a Barlow doubler. I will add a 32mm Plossl and I think an ND96 ( I am starting with the moon can't miss that I hope). The Orion cheshire Collimater seems the one to go for from Bintel.
Now the hard part no stocks for three weeks on the Dob . Well all good things come to those who wait ... but not for too long !

Thanks to all those who helped. Get ready the next step how to use it is coming soon

Steve