Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Hotkey

focuser fixed

Thanks Rob for that web page on how to repair my focuser. Just finished it this morning and everything seems a lot better. If clear tonight I will be out for sure. Couldn't get the .5mm allen key so had to butcher a small screwdriver. So now for another question. What I saved on a new focuser I am thinking about getting a red dot finder, but as they are only 1x how can you find stars dimmer than my eyes can see? I understand they would be great for planets or the moon, but for deep space objects???
Any advice from anyone....
Evan
Old 16-05-2006, 03:55 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

thats a good question. using a zero mag finder in light pollution must be painful. I find i can see more thru my 8x50.

coments peeps?
Old 16-05-2006, 04:20 PM
hogly52 (Graeme)
A FN Observer

I use a Telrad with it's zero magnification with reasonable success. Using references like star charts,finder circles and general orientation with other stars usually puts the field of view in close proximity of the chosen fuzzy. That said, if your objective is not in the immediate field of view, or your reference stars are not clearly visible then it's a bigger challenge. In such cases the 8x50 comes to the fore. The Telrad and Red Dot finders are quick if your object is clearly in view or well referenced, but if obscured by light pollution then it can be frustrating, and the finderscope becomes handy to have. I do have both mounted on the OTA, but use the Telrad more often than the 8x50.

Cheers,

Graeme
Old 17-05-2006, 08:08 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

As Graeme said, light pollution will play a big role in using a 1x finder. You use it to get your lowest power eyepiece on the object by using charts of the brighter stars around the object of interest, then go up from there.

I am lucky that light pollution is very low where I live so I don't even have a finder scope, just use the Telrad and charts.
Old 17-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Hotkey

Thanks all, think I will stick with my 9x50 until I know the stars a lot better. You fellas are certainly saving me a heap of dosh.
Evan
Old 26-05-2006, 04:09 PM
JimmyH155

focuser fixed.

I have a Telrad and also a small finderscope that came with my Meade 8 inch SCT. The Telrad is magic and an AA battery will last you years.
The problem with the finder scopes is that after dark the cross hairs go out and you cant see where the target is - so useless. I even tried shining a torch at the finder but not a good idea.
Old 26-05-2006, 04:31 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

unless you have sufficient light pollution or have them illuminated jimmy
Old 26-05-2006, 11:32 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

FWIW... jimmyH155, you might like to try this mod... The 3mm red LED faces towards the objective lens & illuminates it just enough to see the X hairs on it...
HTH... L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1 Finder Led-Textsmall.jpg)
74.7 KB14 views