Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2014, 01:11 AM
Missedapproach (Ben)

Just Joined

Hi all,
I am a very newcomer to astronomy. I recently purchased a 114 reflector on a eq mount after inheriting a 60mm refractor and becoming hooked. I am still in the stages of looking around the sky with really no clue what I am looking at but having a ball. It pays to have a family member with a f15 unitron to assist if needed.

I am starting to take videos with a webcam I modified and look forward to learning more.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:36 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Hi Ben, to IIS.
Be warned , I started with a 114 reflector a few years back and the infection is still spreading .
No clue ? Have you downloaded Stellarium (free) onto your PC ? Excellent astro program that gives you a realistic view of what to expect and lets you identify and learn your way around. I still use it to plan a nights imaging.

Best advice is to do some visual using your scope and Stellarium to learn the sky. Find a local astro group and get along to one of their star parties so you can look through other equipment before you decide on any upgrades or aperture jumps. They will be quite happy to show off their setups and give advice.

Pretty good bunch on here so ask questions and you'll get plenty of help and advice. They can also spend your money for you very quickly on lots of astro goodies so be careful .

Cheers and enjoy

Brent
Old 11-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Missedapproach (Ben)

Cheers I will download that program tonight. I managed to finish my cam tonight (had to wait for a new webcam to arrive) so I hope to get out on the weekend. I had an issue with the Motor Drive on my scope on the weekend but it is getting replaced under warranty so all being well it should arrive by Friday.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:46 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Look at Registax 5 or 6 for stacking your videos, another free app. There is also Autostakkert and a couple of others. Some software is more suitable for DSO images, others for high frame rate video imaging.