Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Sheap

First Photos

tonight i was frustratingly watching the sky waiting for a gap in the cloud cover, and an end to the periodic rain. After waiting for hours i found my chance, i pulled out my 60mm spotting scope and set up a camera on a lesser tripod behind it. I aimed it up at the moon (very frustrating the tripod the camera was on was hardly stable, had thin legs and kept sinking into the soft soil, and the only way to change the height was to change the length of the legs.)
After finally getting it all aimed up, i took my first ever astrophoto. To my horror the flash went off. THE SHOT WAS RUINED!!! well, theres still a moon in it, but it could have been better.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...3/P4070033.jpg

I turned off the flash and took another, its a bit out of focus and behind some slight cloud cover, but its a photo!
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...3/P4070034.jpg

I tried to take a third but the clouds moved back in and the rain restarted, once i get a big scope ill start to take some better photos, the better tripod will be available for the camera these were on the smallest magnification (20X) next clear skies if i dont have my bigger scope, ill take the time and set up a clese up of a crater or something. I had no idea taking photos could be so fun/frustrating
Old 08-04-2006, 02:59 AM
Jonathan

I reckon the one without the flash is better
Old 08-04-2006, 06:54 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Well done sheap! I know how excited I felt getting my first ever astro-photo (also with a 60mm refractor spotter) Keep at it! You will be suprised how well the moon comes out just by trial & error & tweaking camera settings etc.

Well done again!

BTW I think the one with the flash is good! It's a bit more crisper/focused.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:45 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

good first sheap!!!! keep up the good work. my first was thru a 60mm too