Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-01-2014, 09:11 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Opposition for the planets is all listed here in IIS under the "Resources" banner in the left margin:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/planetopp.html

Not only is the opposition time noted, but the size of the planets and their best and worst opposition sizes and times.

A six inch scope will show a huge amount of detail on Mars. Don't think that big aperture is all that's needed with the planets. While it helps to an extent, the atmosphere is the ultimate determining factor. A six inch will show a much detail as an 8" on all but the very, very, winning-lotto like-of best of conditions. My 5" has shown me not only the polar caps, also the dark green surface details that are constant through our scopes. I've also been able to identify a huge dust storm that wiped out most of the features visible on the planet for several months - at first I thought my scope was a poor sample, then I read what was actually happening on the planet at the time and it all made sense, and once the dust settled, things changed back to how they normally are. The polar caps also have a dark green halo around them. You will also notice the polar caps increase and decrease in size respectively over the course of time with the planet's seasons.

Don't underestimate the capability of your gear. Your greatest asset is your experience with the gear you have. Be patient, as things through a scope take time for our minds to interpret, and many, many details escape our identifying because we rush and expect space probe photographic images. Filters can help, BUT, but, what these will reveal are not immediately evident, nor do they always appear as we would expect them too. There's no mistake with the small font I used with the word 'can'.

I've mentioned filters (oh man, what I can of worms I've opened! ). Rather than say what filter is best, have a read through this excellent filter guide. It not only mentions colour filters, but also the various nebula filters there are and what they are all best for. With the colour filters, all I will suggest is get just two or three, no more! You really won't use them very much at all. Take your time going over the filter guide, and choose two or three filters that will best cover things for your liking. And remember, what filters reveal won't be immediately evident or show up how we would expect.

Patience, atmospheric conditions, and time will be your best friend with the planets and DSO's no matter how big or small the aperture of your scope.
Old 17-01-2014, 09:22 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Last opposition, I could see dark shapes and the polar cap in a 6" scope, so all you need is a night of decent seeing. The great thing about Mars is the day is slightly longer than ours so if you get the chance to see it on successive nights you can see different faces

According to sky safari, Mars is only 6.8" now but will be 15.1" at opposition. Not the best, but as it'll be huh in the sky I hope we still get to see some good stuff. Only a shame we don't pass each other by more often IMO.
15.1" sounds pretty good!
Old 17-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Opposition is early April, so best to catch it within around a month either side for size, but anytime with good seeing is a good opportunity IMO
Old 17-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStarGazer View Post
15.1" sounds pretty good!
That's barely 1/3 the size of Jupiter around opposition and around that for a couple of days before it drops off. Fast

It's not like Jupiter or Saturn which are big enough to be a treat almost anytime they're at decent altitude.
Old 17-01-2014, 02:07 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Quote:
Patience, atmospheric conditions, and time will be your best friend with the planets and DSO's no matter how big or small the aperture of your scope.
Indeed! I had oodles of fun with my little 76mm First Scope a couple of years back! Jupiter was just a shiny white ball with a HINT of a couple of stripes, but I was happy as Larry with it! The first time I looked at the moon I was blown away! Then I started to experiment with Barlows within Barlows and filters and all that and things got even better! After that, I mentioned to my wife if she ever came across a cheap scope in a second hand store she should grab it...and of course, she did! Found a 60mm refractor, which was hard to use but yielded pretty decent views...so I considered that an upgrade!

Point is, I agree, you can have heaps of enjoyment with the smallest of apeture...am I saying that a Celestron First Scope is comparable to an 8" Dob - well, no; but as Malcolm has said, there's plenty to see when conditions are good!

Just on filters (can of worms re-opened!): I can honestly say that, at present, a blue filter works a treat with Jupiter as opposed to no filter; bands are more pronounced and crisper; I also use Red and Orange for the Moon and enhanced details are stunning!...
Old 17-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Completely agree, any scope can bring a lot of joy. Last month I was sweeping the rising Milky Way with my little refractor and it was just sublime

Not wanting to sound like a stuck record as mental has covered it, but nothing beats getting out there and having a look. You'll soon see differences in conditions the more you look, and the more you look the more you'll see
Old 18-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Quoll (Bill)

Excellent viewing last night

Had excellent views of Jupiter last night from my light polluted backyard. For the first time ever I watched one of the moons (Io) transit the planet! What I’ve been missing out on! I hadn’t realised they happened so frequently. The best part was when Io ended its transit and emerged out of the planet – what a fantastic sight! It was like the planet was giving birth to a moon

Found it very difficult to spot the shadow at first amidst the glare of the planet and thought it must be too small for me to see. When I first saw it I thought it was a speck of dirt on my optics being so tiny! But then over time I saw it move. As the night went on I found it easier to see. Was that due to better seeing conditions, me seeing better, or a combination of both? I think the later. I’m learning

I’m still using the EPs supplied with the scope and found that I had to keep Jupiter centred in the eyepiece for the best views, once it moved to the edges I lost resolution and it became too blurry to see really well. I guess once I get setup with some better quality EPs I won’t have that problem, at least to the same extent. Found barlowing my 25mm was the most comfortable to use.

I found the utility on the Sky & Telescope web site excellent for finding out the times of transits: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/obser...ml?page=1&c=y#

I’m just wondering how a neutral density filter would go for viewing the transits as it might cut down a lot of the glare but still allow the shadow to be visible. Anybody used one? I have one for my camera so I might hold it in front of the eyepiece to see if it helps. I’m thinking about getting one for the scope for viewing the moon.
Old 18-01-2014, 05:50 PM
Allan

That's good to hear you had a great night Bill. I liken your eyes receptors to a camera chip. I find the longer I look at something the more the image gets burned into my vision. I watched the Io transit, and I was seeing a lot more by the end of the transit. It was in those moments of good seeing that I saw lots of fine detail and no doubt the same was probably happening for you.

I have an ND filter I sometimes use on the moon, I don't use it on Jupiter though. I think you need all the light you can get to see the surface detail. But hey, there's no reason why you shouldn't get one and see for yourself.
Old 18-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Transits are great the thing about Jupiter is that there's always something going on...it'd never static, with all the surface features and moons catapulting around.

I don't use a filter, I just let my eyes adjust. If you find it too bright, increase the magnification a bit as the object will dim slightly with increasing magnification. The seeing will determine how high you can go and keep the image looking crisp, and it can be fun trying too. Personally, I prefer to have a crisper image than a larger one, but sometimes you can have your cake and eat it
Old 19-01-2014, 01:46 AM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Yes, saw IO as well! Wasn't even expecting it...happened to be out looking at the right time...indeed, the seeing was VERY good last night, I ramped up the power to 400x..usually that is pretty useless with Jupiter, but last night even IO was there...and tonight wasn't bad either as Ganymede is now currently transiting...awesome! Oh, and my daughter even managed a decent photo of Jupiter through an Iphone...cool!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_2014-01-19-01-39-54-1.png)
19.4 KB31 views
Old 19-01-2014, 10:01 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

forgot to add the Lumicon filter guide link. Ta for the PM Allan-L:

http://www.lumicon.com/store/pg/15-L...a-Filters.aspx

Neutral Density filters work. I prefer to use a pair of polarising filters as I can then vary the transmission to suit me. A single polarising filter sometimes is fine on its own. I find a pair of these more versatile. Again, I don't use them often except for extended low mag viewing of the moon. As my main lunar and planetary scope is a C8, at high power I find I don't need to tone down the glare. But colour filters help with some details with the planets.
Old 19-01-2014, 01:30 PM
linstar88 (Linda and Guy)

Look, up in the sky, it's a dirt spot, it's a satellite, no it's a super-moon in transit
Hi all
Looking at Jupiter last night gave a nice surprise. At first I thought a small speck of dust might had gotten onto my eyepiece as I'd forgotten a moon would be in transit. After throwing in another eyepiece just to make sure it was not dust particle, and not a satellite of some description. I realised it must be a moon in transit (thank goodness). Excellent viewing last night even with the bright light of the moon. Here's hoping tonight will be ok as well.

cheers Guy
Old 20-01-2014, 08:02 AM
JJDOBBER79 (Jas)

Hi Guys,
Stayed up on friday night and managed to watch Io transit and the great red spot. I havent seen the red spot before. Heaps of detail with really crisp defined edges. It kinda looked like it was protruding out of the planets surface. Very cool. Mars might be next. I am going on a camping trip into a state forest for oz day, moon will be last quarter, hoping to see some galaxies too.