Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-12-2013, 04:19 AM
nasapete (Pete)

New 10" Dob experience

First I would like to say I love this site, there is so much useful information on here to learn from.

A short while back I purchased a 10" Dob from Astropete's in Brisbane and went along to a night out a lake Moogerah dam with other astronomy buffs.

After setting up I just looked through the eye piece and started to move it across the sky and soon discovered something amazing, it was a cluster, ok to be fair I was pretty excited by this discovery, and I won't use the words I actually said, to then be told by a few I had seenGlobular Cluster 47 Tucana.

I will admit when you find something yourself in the sky it is like no one else has ever seen it before.

Then to experience the sights of the tarantula nebula, and the great orion nebula made the night a incredible experience.

I just wanted to say when ever you go out to search the night sky, we should all appreciate the beauty of everything in the universe.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 31-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Pete
Welcome to IceInSpace

I am sure that many of us can closely associate with your start into observing the night sky.
That WOW factor is something we all remember.

Keep looking up, and keep sharing the excitement.
Hope you have many more such nights.

thanks for posting.
Old 31-12-2013, 08:19 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Hi Pete and welcome to IIS , great little first light report and thanks for sharing it .
Yes as Allan said the WOAW! factor is a great thing , especially on the show case objects like 47 Tuk ( there are plenty more to be found in your 10 inch scope ) .
Its even better finding them yourself so keep it up mate .
Brian.
Old 31-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Nice work Pete, it's always a special time to see something you haven't seen before, as you say it's like you are the only person who has seen it. Don't worry, that feeling never goes away either, the more you see the more oooooo's and Ahhhhh's at the eyepiece Even going back to old objects each season, it's like you are seeing it for the first time...

Keep us up to date on how you go.
Old 31-12-2013, 08:47 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Pete
Well done! You picked a nice object to get first up.
After quite a few years I still get a thrill observing the highlights. This time of year, or more specifically Jan/Feb/March is very special here in Oz. It is possible to go out and see in the sky all at the same time 47Tuc, Omega Centauri, NGC2070 (Tarantula Neb), M42 and the Eta Carina Neb. Together these probably make up the 5 best objects in the night sky, certainly for small to medium scopes.

I try to revisit these highlights as often as I can.

Also congrats on the scope, a 10" dob is a great place to start and should give years of pleasure!

Malcolm
Old 31-12-2013, 09:02 AM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Good stuff Pete. My first scope was a DOB and I loved it. I wish I still had it to be honest and will get another. Some great views can be had and lots of fun nights ahead.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great people here that are willing to help any way they can. Welcome to the addiction.

Mardy
Old 31-12-2013, 09:51 AM
astro_nutt

Hi Pete and welcome to IIS. I can relate with you the first time I used my new 10" dob looking for Saturn. It still gives me the WOW! factor more than 10 years on. Enjoy!!