Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2013, 06:06 PM
JJDOBBER79 (Jas)

A quick question on observatories

This may be a stupid question but I can't find the answer via google.
What exactly is the benefit of having an observatory?
I have heard many iisers state that there is no substitute for dark skies so, if you live in the country, you have dark skies anyway. And if you live in suburbia, it would be very limited in its usefulness because there is no substitute for dark skies. Am I missing something? Is it purely to block moonlight? Or are they just expensive sheds to store your astro gear in?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 PM
johnnyjetski (John)

Question on observatories

JJ....No question is stupid, I have always considered an observatory as storage and comfort .....but you listed advantages Ive never thought of.

John
Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Main benefit for imagers is that setup can be permanent so polar alignment only need be done once. Also saves on setup and takedown times. Also large heavy gear can be left set up permanently.
Can also be more comfortable to sit in an obs or adjacent room rather than the open air.

Malcolm
Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 PM
JJDOBBER79 (Jas)

ok, thanks for that guys. So, its more of a convenience thing. I thought it was light pollution prevention. I can definately see the benefit with an imaging setup.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:20 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Obviously a dome or similar can help to reduce the effect of nearby lights, no help with general light pollution though.
Other benefits can be reducing vibrations from wind, permanent wired in power, more stable temperatures, less dust, easy to pack up if weather changes.

Malcolm
Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

The sheer convenience of being able to open up and grab an hour or two at the scope viewing or imaging without the total hassle of setting up, aligning, taking down etc etc just makes an ob so beneficial it's not funny. I've grabbed 30 minute solar shoots while the BBQ is getting lunch ready. I can be out imaging within 10 mins of powering up so a 1 hour or even less can be worthwhile time. I can honestly say I've used my scopes at least 10 x more than if I'd had to setup for each session. Especaillly with the bigger ones.
And a benefit that is not at first apparent. I spend less time away from family because my 'setup' time is so minimal. Power up, pull off the covers, open the roof and away I go. So I can start later.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:57 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

I am pretty much sold on getting one now. The main reason is i simply haven't been going out setting up my system with how long it takes.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
i am pretty much sold on getting one now. The main reason is i simply haven't been going out setting up my system with how long it takes.

bingo !! :d
Old 05-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Wavytone

The benefits of an observatory:

1. The scope is there, polar-aligned and ready to go immediately. No 3-hour drive, no setup, no speed cameras on the way home.
2. Protection from the wind, so your scope won't shake like a leaf in every gust.
3. You can accommodate a scope as big as your pockets allow - it's not limited to what fits in your car.
4. Protection from stray light. if you have a dome or similar, this is even better as it shields the interior from the night sky quite well, and your dark adaptation should be significantly better than if you were outside, so you'll see more.
5. Better weather protection for the scope (compared to just putting a bag over it)
6. Availability of mains power
7. The available computing power close at hand
8. In the days of film, a darkroom close at hand to develop the neg immediately.
9. Storage for the astro bits & pieces one collects...

10. The cat for company, and a loving wife to keep you supplied with warm drinks and nibblies !

Last edited by Wavytone; 06-12-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 23-12-2013, 01:08 PM
baileys2611 (Simon Bailey)
I like biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJDOBBER79 View Post
...Or are they just expensive sheds to store your astro gear in?
Caves JJ, we call them 'caves'
Old 23-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Observatories aren't always Expensive either, I made mine from scrap mostly and throw away bits, the whole Observatory probably cost me about the same as buying a small Garden Shed, although it is only 2m x 2m It is so convenient not having to polar align every night, all the gear is within reach no tripping over cables, I can run mine off 240v or 12v. I can sit inside and control the scope etc via a tablet inside the house, without having to be near the scope.

Sum it up, there are many useful reasons for having an Obs, if you want to image from home, I would recommend it. RoR or Dome or POD, they all have they're own pro's and cons. Personally I went for the RoR.
Old 23-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

The convenience is a big draw card.
I built mine in the UK from an Argos Tin shed, 6' x 8' originally for the 12" Lx200. It went with us to Belgium and now back to Oz.
It holds the C11 on a NEQ6pro with cameras and spectroscopes......
Cheapest and most effective I've built.
Highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (tsoIII 008.JPG)
71.9 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (tsoIII 009.JPG)
64.9 KB25 views