Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-08-2013, 05:47 PM
pwilly

Another Hello World

Hello IceInSpace community.

I am actually shy, but I need to post something as I like to sell something. Fair enough!

Got a NexStar SE5 from a friend to start watching the stars. Took me quite a while to get used to it, especially NOT to align it too accurately as it never hits the target precise. Others seem to have similar experiences as the play of the gears is quite large.

It's ok, but don't waste your time with too precise alignment.

The SE5 is lite and compact, that's what I like. But the mount is very wobbly so it's hard to focus and to watch with higher magnification.

More on the next post....
Old 31-08-2013, 05:54 PM
pwilly

Got the Clestron 1.25" eyepiece and filter set. Found it really expensive in Australia, some shops want more than AU$399. Bought it on BH-Video in the US for US$129 plus shipping.

Sorry AU optical retailers, your prices are often really out in space. You can compare and shop internationally these days.

Added a piggiback for a camera and some other accessories.
Old 31-08-2013, 06:01 PM
pwilly

After lots of reading about telescopes I decided to go for something bigger. My main interesst is to see the stars, not to do astorphothography (which is also very tempting as I have some professional digital imaging and processing skills, maybe more later about that).

I went for the biggest DOB which I can easily move. So I got a 12" GSO DOB. GSO seems to have a very good reputation about the mirrors.
Old 31-08-2013, 06:04 PM
pwilly

I actually had a look at the Bintel how big and heavy the DOBs are in reality. 12" was the limit. I finally bought at Andrews Communications, it was about $100 cheaper all together.

I have to say both Bintel and Andrews Communication had good advice what to buy and what accessories you really need.
Old 31-08-2013, 06:16 PM
pwilly

After some "fears" not to find the objects manually (I initially used the SE5 with a laser pointer as a guide for the 12" DOB) I am now really happy with the 12" DOB. Haven't used the NexStar SE5 for a while.

Once you know the night sky a bit it's actually quite simple to naviagte fually manually, a laser pointer and laptop with Stellarium helps (I solved the laptop screen too bright at night issue, I may post a thread about that, ping me if someone is interested)

I can find DSO very quickly. Tracking isn't an issue since for most objects I do not need high powers.

Ordered an Explorer Scientific 20mm 100 degree and a ES 9mm 100 degree eyepiece (again in the US as they had a summer slae for these eyepieces, both together for US$448).

Added Baeder solar film and Celestron Skywatcher 20x80 binoculars. Still waiting for it......
Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Hi Peter , and welcome , yes prices are high here ,,,
,,,,, BUT! , we need to stand behind all the aussie Astronony retailers mate !.
You want to see what astro gear is worth in NZ !!!!!.
Thank God all the aussie retailers send over there , one thing I suppose and they are way cheaper than the local NZ suppliers , but they aint Astro suppliers over in NZ , camers shops mainly .
Imagine the place without any ??? , yes they are more expensive but you are covered on every thing if it goes wrong , and it always does .

I hate to say this but what will you do if the 80mm Binos or eyepieces arrive damaged ?? You will be way out of pocket to send them back ! also will they honour a repair ? might be months ? Waiting , waiting ,, if at all .

I got a 2 inch diagonal from Andrews a while ago ( a cheap one ) , it arrived broken ( thanks OZ post ) , 1 phone call, and I had a replacement in 3 days , they did not want the old one back even , took it on face value , I offered to send a photo of the broken mirror , but no ! great service .

I know its not what you want to hear and congratulations on the 12 inch from Andrews , but as I say we need to support our local people , it will be a poorer place if they start to dissappare because they cant compete with the internet .
Just think there is more to astronomy than saving a few $$$'s , the root of all evil I am afraid .

Clear skies and good luck on the new equipiment .

Brian.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:25 PM
pwilly

Hi Brian,

I try to buy local and I am happy to pay 30% more. But how can the same product cost about 2 to 4 times as much?

For example Celestron - SkyMaster 20x80 Binoculars:
Astro Petes in Brisbane: AUD 359
OZscopes: AUD 499
Telescopes.net in the US: USD 139

With all respect to the local retailers, it's just too much they want for some (not every) products. They could buy it from the US and resell it here for AUD 189 which still would be a nice profit.

Yes if something is damaged it's my risk to send it back but so far I never got anything damaged.

I know it's not what you want to hear but according to you, you should only buy in NZ to support the local retailers there :-)

Clear skies and good seeing.

Peter
Old 06-10-2013, 03:28 PM
pwilly

Explorer Scientific 9mm 100degree customer service

Addendum:

My brand new Explorer Scientific (ES) 9mm 100degree eyepiece had some visible dust spots inside the sealed eyepiece. Before returning to the US seller I asked ES what to do.

The quickly replied to send it back to them directly for a free replacement. As the postage would have been quite expensive ($50) I asked for a return tag which they provided for free through UPS (cost them only $5, amazing!).

I am very impressed about the customer service of Explorer Scientific. They directly replaced the eyepiece at no cost and aswerded to any of my questions!

Finally not to mention the 2" 20mm + 9mm 100 degree eyepieces are fantastic! Haven't used any of my Celestron poessels for a while now.

The only thing I still really need is a good UHC filter. Still researching...
Old 08-10-2013, 11:27 AM

That's good news Peter , I have only heard good things about ES customer service .
Brian.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:41 PM
pwilly

Thanks Brian!

As you seems to be an experienced observer:-) do you have any recommendation for an UHC filter (visual only)? I am not sure if I should go for an Astronomik, Lumicon or DGM NBP filter.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:25 PM

Peter thanks , they all work well , I have used 'Lumicon' and found them to be very good , mid range in the price ranges .
Just be aware that the cheeper ones out there do work well but some scratch very easily , that's why I like Lumicon , nice and robust coatings .
Brian.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:15 PM
atman (Mark)

Hi Peter

There is a thread about filters in the eyepiece discussion section here.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=108726 .

My understanding about Celestron products in Australia is that there is only a single distributor - and they price gouge because they have a monopoly. It's not the fault of the local retailers. Whereas in the US there are multiple distributors and so their prices are competitive.

It is encouraging to hear of your experience with ES.

Mark