Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2011, 07:37 PM
refracted1 (Rick)

advice on ed120 pro

Hi all i was wondering if any one could tell me the best eyepeices for a skywatcher ed 120 pro refractor for deep space viewing. I have the old gold model, which i believe is the same as the current black model except for the 2 speed focuser on the new model. Also does anyone have any clues on what mods i could do for this scope. I have it on an eq5 mount with stainless legs & electronic go to synscan. I'm a beginner and would like to get into deep space viewing and photography. Many thanks
Old 07-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

Hi Rick.
Welcome.

After spending giga-bucks on various scope/ep combos, the penny finally dropped.
Get yourself a cheap-ish zoom EP in the 8-24mm range and one or two Wide Angle EPs in the 28-36mm range (GSO/Bintel, Celestrons, Meades)
Spend some time w3ith them and get to know what lengths suit your viewing style. Once you're happy THEN invest serious money.

Just as a by-the-way, I had a TSA120 which is virtually the same focal length and FoV as your scope.
The two EPs I used most were a 9mm Nagler and a 24mm Panoptic (82* & 68*).

Regarding mods: If you are planning to use the scope for AP, then probably the most useful modification would be a premium focuser in the 3"-3.5" range.
Starlight Instuments ("Feathertouch") and "Moonlite" are the two aftermarket faves. Both makes are strong, beautifully made and pretty much designed with astrophotography in mind.

Hope that helps.
Clear Skies!
Peter
Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 AM
refracted1 (Rick)

Thanks for your help Pete, much appreciated