Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-12-2022, 06:14 PM
MamaJax (Jacqueline)

Moon filter SW 127 mak

Can anyone advise which moon filter for a skywatcher 127 is there a difference between makes ?
Old 14-12-2022, 06:24 PM
Dave882 (David)

For visual, I like to use just a ND (neutral density) filter 0.6 is my preference. But with binoviewers I don’t bother as the brightness is reduced.
If imaging, either a uv/ir filter or IR pass filter annywhere around 600-700nm is good and can give more stable results when seeing is poor.

I honestly don’t think there much difference between makes unless it’s some real cheapo and then might degrade your image.
Old 14-12-2022, 06:44 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

I use a variable moon filter allowing you a range of reductions and I just place it top of the ep. They are meant to screw into the base of the EP but I find the variable twist moves when the EP is inserted. Not suitable for some really wide view eps' though as the top lens is too wide.
Old 14-12-2022, 07:10 PM
Stefan Buda

I never understood why anyone would use a moon filter. If you use a magnification that shows all the detail that your scope, whatever the aperture is, can show, then the image should not be too bright.
With an aperture of 127 at 120x the Moon should not be too bright ant the whole disc should be visible in an eyepiece with a 60 degree field.
Old 14-12-2022, 10:57 PM
MamaJax (Jacqueline)

Thanks

interesting to hear you all find the moon isn't to bright without a filter... sounds like I'll hold off and see how I go with the views before even thinking about a filter.
Old 15-12-2022, 09:41 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

When I observe the moon in any of my scopes I don't use a moon filter. I noted it eliminates a lot of fine detail from the image. From 120ED all the way up to 300mm Dob.

Here are my two tips and how to make a bright moon image manageable.

1. Make it the last thing you observe for the night - this is due to tip 2.

2. Observe with lights on or quickly flash your eyes with a torch. You do this to disable/reduce your eyes low light adaptation. Essentially make your pupils smaller like in the day time.

It's that simple. I haven't used my 2 ND filters for 12 years.

Freely admit though, attempting to look at the moon in my 12" with low light adapted pupils feels like sitting in front of a car and looking at its high beams.
Old 15-12-2022, 10:36 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post
When I observe the moon in any of my scopes I don't use a moon filter. I noted it eliminates a lot of fine detail from the image. From 120ED all the way up to 300mm Dob.

2. Observe with lights on or quickly flash your eyes with a torch. You do this to disable/reduce your eyes low light adaptation. Essentially make your pupils smaller like in the day time.

Freely admit though, attempting to look at the moon in my 12" with low light adapted pupils feels like sitting in front of a car and looking at its high beams.
this +1000... lol

Yes, looking at the moon with dark adapted eyes is extremely bright but, your eyes adjust very quickly...

I too prefer no filter, in fact, I don't like using filters on planet either (coloured variety) as I don't like the artificial colour they induce albeit, they do bring out features on planets...

I make a conscious decision to do lunar viewing either early or late in the sesssion... I will focus on that & only after I'm done will I wait for my eyes to dark adapt again before I go chasing other targets...

I find not using a moon filter means I get better detail at the eyepiece but, that's my experience..

Since ND filters are fairly inexpensive, buy one, try it out, see what suits you best, it's a personal thing I feel...

Cheers
Old 15-12-2022, 01:00 PM
MamaJax (Jacqueline)

Great Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post

Wow what great tips, I would never have considered this... Thanks
Old 15-12-2022, 01:02 PM
MamaJax (Jacqueline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
this +1000... lol

Yes, looking at the moon with dark adapted eyes is extremely bright but, your eyes adjust very quickly...

I too prefer no filter, in fact, I don't like using filters on planet either (coloured variety) as I don't like the artificial colour they induce albeit, they do bring out features on planets...

I make a conscious decision to do lunar viewing either early or late in the sesssion... I will focus on that & only after I'm done will I wait for my eyes to dark adapt again before I go chasing other targets...

I find not using a moon filter means I get better detail at the eyepiece but, that's my experience..

Since ND filters are fairly inexpensive, buy one, try it out, see what suits you best, it's a personal thing I feel...

Cheers
I definitely feel confident giving myself the chance to try out the scope without feeling like I 'Need' filters now. Such great info from people on these forums.
Thanks
Old 15-12-2022, 02:10 PM
Stefan Buda

Funny that no one mentions magnification.
If you use a 127mm aperture scope at 60x to look at deep sky objects and then point it at the Moon, of course it will look too bright because that is a very low magnification for lunar or planetary viewing. At that magnification you will not reach the resolution the scope can offer - so why even bother looking. Now if you bump up the magnification to 120x, then the Moon will look 4 times dimmer, or the equivalent of using a strong ND filter. And you can push the magnification even higher if the seeing permits. No need to waste photons with ND filters.
Old 15-12-2022, 04:00 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Just in case you don't know Jaqueline the moon doesn't reflect enough light (including infrared ) to damage your eyes,even through a telescope. I never use a filter as the eyes adjust pretty quickly.
Cheers, Richard
PS. +1 for Stefan's comments
Old 18-12-2022, 05:09 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Hi,

Congratulations on your new scope. I am sure you will have a lot of fun with it. I got my first scope when I was 11 and 52 years later I am still playing with them

I wouldn't worry about the moon filter if you haven't already ordered it. No filter adds anything, moon or otherwise, it only cuts things down, generally what you don't want. You will see more detail on the moon without a filter than you will with a filter. While at first instance you might think the moon appears very bright and might cause eye damage, just remember you are looking at the suns light reflected off a surface similar to a bitumen road. When sunlight reflects off the road you don't even see it because your surroundings are so bright. Conversely, the moon only appears really bright because the surroundings are so dark. I observe the moon unfiltered in my 10", 14" and 18" telescopes. After you look away from the eyepiece you get "red eye" for about 30 seconds but that quickly dissappears as your eye adjusts.

If you have little kids I can understand they might find the "apparent" brightness a bit off putting. If you have little kids and need a filter for the moon, I would suggest a variable polarising filter as opposed to a dedicated Moon Filter which is just a Neutral Density filter. Some moon filters block out more light than others, but they are fixed. There is no adjustment with a "Moon Filter". For instance the Orion Moonfilter blocks 87% of the incoming light, which with a 5" telescope isn't what you want. A variable polariser costs a little bit more but is fully adjustable and can be adjusted to block out between about 5% and 40% of the light. This will be a much better option in combination with your new telescope.

Here is a link to a presentation I gave on Visual Astronomy and the Use of Filters at the Ice IN Space Astrocamp in 2011. The bit about Moon Filters and Variable Polarisers is towards the end.

Cheers
John B
Old 18-12-2022, 05:16 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882 View Post
For visual, I like to use just a ND (neutral density) filter 0.6 is my preference. But with binoviewers I don’t bother as the brightness is reduced.
If imaging, either a uv/ir filter or IR pass filter annywhere around 600-700nm is good and can give more stable results when seeing is poor.

I honestly don’t think there much difference between makes unless it’s some real cheapo and then might degrade your image.
You can buy Moon Filters (Neutral Density Filters) that have transmissions between about 85% and 13%. The Orion Moon Filter only passes 13% of the Incoming light. They aren't even close to all the same and a filter only passing 13% of the incoming light isn't what you need with a 5" Telescope. A variable polariser, while it costs a bit more, is a better option for smaller telescopes if you need a filter for smaller kids etc. Far better off viewing the moon unfiltered with a 5" telescope, you will certainly see a lot more detail, but I understand the need to use filters for kids etc.

Cheers