Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-01-2009, 01:33 PM
damo_Melbourne (Damian)

Mount Upgrade options for a Newbie

Greetings all,

Based on much reading and the advice of many of you I have had a great time with my little celestron 6" Newt ( celestron C6N, F5, 750mm on a CG4 mount no motors, Phillips SPC 900NC, Mogg adapter ) over the last 18 months. Ive got into webcam imaging a bit of afocal stuff and had alot of fun with Registax and photoshop and basically learing my way around the sky - got some nice pics of Jupiter all thanks to the great advice here so thanks for that.

I currently have access to a mates Canon 40D but planning on getting a 450D anyway so I have had a "play" with short exposure prime focus too.

What I would like to do is improve my webcam imaging and dabble with the dslr for nebula with long exposures ( Orion, globals etc). Now I realise these two are probably at odds with each other in terms of the equipment required.

I want to keep the C6 OTA for the moment - its a great grab and go and we are often away so I always have it with me when we are down the coast here in Vic.

should I

1) update the current celestron cg4 mount with a motor drive and possibly GOTO kit
Im still learning but I fear further investment here is overkill. These upgrade kits are around $900 so they aint cheap!. GOTO is a nicety and I like the idea of it buts its not a requirement.

2) Buy a decent mount like a HEQ5 or HEQ5Pro so I have a decent platform to start with for guiding and longer exposure pics
Can I mount the little C6 on this for the time being? Is this even possible?
Give me a good platform to learn I thought then later I was thinking of picking up a 8"Dob or 10" and mounting it on that when aperture fever strikes - well it has already but Im trying to restrain myself a bit!
Any issues with this logic?

Any thoughts or other options? Im leaning toward option 2
The EQ6 and EQ6 pro are huge (size and weight) and I wasnt considering them at this stage.

What I am really trying to do is utilise what I have but also move forward but not quite sure how to.

many thanks
Old 16-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

How about a second hand EQ6 Pro mount?
Old 16-01-2009, 10:45 AM
damo_Melbourne (Damian)

Hi there,

Is that my only choice - to go from where I am at the moment to an EQ6pro? they are about $2400 new at the moment ..(I know they were alot cheaper last year) - havent seen anything second hand. Due to its size and cost I initially ruled it out Seems a tad extreme but then maybe my expectations are way out of wack here and I need a reality check.

The HEQ5Pro's are about $1700 ( Bintel) .... is what I am trying to do not possible with a HEQ5 pro? ie mount the current 6" newt on a new mount (be it HEq5pro or even a EQ6Pro) that allows for me to enter the world of astrophotography then add a larger OTA later?

I am very confused here.
Old 16-01-2009, 10:52 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

For astrophotography you really want the best mount you can afford. The best mount at a "budget" price range is the EQ6, although it's a shame the price has gone up.

Keep an eye out for second hand ones I guess, one got sold just recently I think.

You'll want one that can accept auto-guiding ports too, of course.
Old 16-01-2009, 03:39 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Well you have to look at your pay load that is what your gonig to mount ontop of your mount, i belive that the eq6 pro is capabile of 25kgs, and i belive thats minus the counter weight of 11.25kgs.

Presently i run a 10" OTA ontop of it, with the rings and the finderscope (no ep) the weight checks in at 15.2kgs. once you add the side by side bar and your finderscope camera and what not you will be looking at the 20kgs mark without too much hassel, this is on the upper limit of a eq6 (giving stability in most situations)

If you go with a smaller mount theres no problems, though when time comes for that upgrade, youll have to start thinking carbon fibre tubes and what not and that is dyam expensive.

Eq6pro at the moment would be one of the best value for money beginners mounts and i cannot really fault them. Good load capacity, decent goto, and decent tracking and you can pretty much put anything upto 10" on them. after that mounts start costing 5k+
Old 16-01-2009, 04:47 PM
damo_Melbourne (Damian)

thanks Brendan,

The big issue for me is the portability. But hey you cant have everything can ya!

I checked out the Skywatcher website and it has the review of both mounts on it
if anyones is interested here it is
http://www.skynewsmagazine.com/pages...scopesmj06.pdf
both get glowing reviews.

thanks for the comments all
Will let you know how I go

cheers
Old 16-01-2009, 05:04 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Portability...? how do you quantify this.

as much as i can see a heq5 is virtually the same size and close on the weight as a heq6pro, the difference is more durable running gear and stronger motors. you wont get much more portable when talking about a GEM that can hold a decent weight.

If your in the city, goto is a necessity, why? because you don't have stars to guide you in. If your in the country then happy days.

I don't have problems carting my gear around in a Mazda MX-6 coupe or a Mitsi Lancer 4 door. and to the same i can fit my partner, 5 year old son and myself, with all the associated kitchen wares :S .

Yes the eq 5 and 6 have great reviews and i can tell you yes they are a good mount though ide say the eq6 is worth the extra money and if what i saw today on the stock news our dollar looks like its going to nose dive further possibly into the low 50's :S so that 2400 will more than likely be 3000 by mid year.
Old 18-01-2009, 12:02 PM
damo_Melbourne (Damian)

Brendan I take my hat off to you... if you can fit all that into a Mx6 coupe (10"dob and eq6pro and family) your a legend!

Portability defined? well the fact that the ep6 pro is 24kgs before counter weights and scope! I have read several reviews that suggest the ep6pro can be a struggle for one person. This is the reason for my query and the store assistant didnt fill me with alot of confidence about how easy it was to setup when I was looking at one last week.

Whats your experience in the actual setting up and taking down?

Its obviously the best mount going around and Im now keen to seriously consider one thanks to everyones input.
The scope and mount is to be used in Melb and at a dark sky site 90 mins away several times a month

thanks for your input its great!