Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Starcrazzy

Astronomy, the universal hobby.

Hi all,
Im sure that most of us have by now looked up and wonderd.Gazzed in awe at the sheer vastness of the universe(well, the little bit of it that we can see).Stared, transfixed to the eyepiece as a brilliant globular cluster resolves into a city of stars.Or at a smudgey galaxy, millions of light years away but every bit as real as our own backyard.And im sure that by now most of us have read the facts, the numbers, the sheer amount of "stuff" that is out there..Millions upon millions of stars per galaxy, and millions upon millions of galaxy's absolutly litter the night sky..And any one of those tiny specs of light that we all see could be home to civillisations..Mabye countless numbers of them also are scatterd across the sky..If life in an intellifgent form only exist's in a tiny , tiny fraction of all the solar systems that must be out there, then there still must be millions of other civillisations sharing the same universe..And i recently got to thinking.What would all these cultures be doing??for hobby's i mean.What would an intelligent little green man do in his, or her(or both) spare time..And i came to conclusion that, no matter what sort of gods they created, or culture they nurtured, or body form they took on,or amount of eyeballs they evolved or apposeable thumbs..No matter what other strange technology's they invented or air they breathed, if they indeed even breath air..I mean, we as humans have nurtured such things as music, and art, and sport and even war.Tjhere is no reason to summise that an alien culture would come up with any of these things.No matter what else, im sure...im possative,, that they too would look up at the night sky(providing they have a night)and say,"i wonder"..I wonder what else is out there..And im sure they would devote any form of technology that they concoct into looking at the stars..To studying the smudges and the fuzzies, just like you and me..so ive come to the conclusion that ours truely is, the universal hobby..What do you guys reckon??
Old 23-01-2006, 12:24 AM
chunkylad (David)
Open up. it's me, Dave...

Never quite thought of it like that, but it does make you wonder...................that you might be right.
Old 23-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Robby

If you believe my drunk uncle at my wedding, aliens visited us about 5000 years ago and impregnated our women....
The conversation went something like this...
Him: Your into Astronomy arn't you.
Me: Why yes I am.
Him: Me too. What do you think about the aliens that visited us 5000 yrs ago.. bla bla bla (for awhile).
Me: Absolute rubbish
Him: Well you must have an open mind.
Me: Well yes, but not too rubbish like that!
Him: Do you read the Bible?
Me: No, not really.
Him: Well, it's all detailed in Genesis.
Me: Rubbish!... Do you want another drink!...
Him... Walks off in a huff!

You gotta laugh. Not sure if he was serious or not, or just drunk!
Cheers
Old 23-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Starcrazzy

He he..A bit tipsy i'd say..But most people have some theory about aliens and how they helped our technology along or something to that effect..And then there's those abduction stories, usually dreamed up by some *** fetish..lol...i mean if you were a superior life form capable of interstellar travel, you'd obviously have massterd mathmatics and physics and have technology far beyond our wildest imagination,...What possible information could be obtained by rectally probbing a human...i mean come on...

Last edited by [1ponders]; 23-01-2006 at 10:46 AM. Reason: guideline breach
Old 23-01-2006, 10:28 AM
stinky
spamologist

Aliens have hobbies too!
Old 23-01-2006, 10:29 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

i'll never lok at the somrero (or any other hat) the same way again....

yeah they are out there alright, but I dont see why they'd come millions of LYs to probe us either..

Last edited by ving; 23-01-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 23-01-2006, 10:36 AM
BerzerkerNerd

Probably for the same reasons we biopsy and take samples from the creatures we share our planet with- understanding and maintaining local biodiversity, but in the case of sentient forms anthropological interests may take on a broader range of reasons, they may have vested interests on a geneological scale.

Perhaps we are an orchestrated investment, not an experiment, in lifes potential and our use is not limited to this planet alone ??

Speculate speculate..
Old 23-01-2006, 10:47 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

C'mon V & S let's keep it family oriented please.
Old 23-01-2006, 11:04 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerzerkerNerd
Probably for the same reasons we biopsy and take samples from the creatures we share our planet with- understanding and maintaining local biodiversity, but in the case of sentient forms anthropological interests may take on a broader range of reasons, they may have vested interests on a geneological scale.
sounds like a good thoery to me...

I like to think of them as intergalactic proctology students on a field trip....

(sorry paul, didnt mean to be offensive )
Old 23-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Starcrazzy

Family orientated??ever seen the simpsons??but you are right sorry..
Old 23-01-2006, 05:08 PM
BerzerkerNerd

Just did a skymap search for the proctol ring nebular,
Non exist as yet or havent been so named.. there is something to work on..

Dancing, in the moonlight....
Moving, through the blue light..
Old 23-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Starcrazzy

hehe..i would enter the obligatory Uranus joke now,,,but better keep it clean..
Old 25-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Meade bloke

???
Old 25-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Meade bloke

Hmmm timing is odd but it could make some strange kind of sense, very early in 2006 . the name can derive from a band ,or if your memory is good back to early early nordic times, odd..

Spud

ps
Wondering how it fits together, time will make it all clear.. The link with Matt ,or is there one
Old 26-02-2007, 11:34 AM
astro_nutt

About the aliens...I was recently given a copy Of "Chariots of the Gods"..still a lot of questions to be answered on how huge pillars of granite weighing over a 1,000 tonnes cut, carted over hundreds of kilometres, then carved and finally erected upright with such mathimatical precision..all this without the use of steel tools, hydraulics, etc..
Did we have the technology 3,000...5,000..or 10,000 years ago to do such amazing feats of architecture??
There are monuments that defy explaination on how they were built, but they are here and won't go away..So what did they use besides palmtrees and copper tools?..or did they get help?
Another reason why I look up into the night sky...and wonder!!
Old 26-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Solanum

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_nutt View Post
About the aliens...I was recently given a copy Of "Chariots of the Gods"..
Argghhh............................ .............. EvD's books are absolute drivel. Much of what he says doesn't even make logical sense, I seem to remember him claiming that the images on the plains in S America (Nasca? Peru?) were for alien spacecraft to land, despite that fact that perhaps aliens that can break relativity might be able to land without little stone walls? And that the soft soil wouldn't support the weight of a spacecraft? And all the evidence about just how their religion worked.

Actually, many of the 'unknown' building techniques for ancient artefacts have been elucidated. A bit more archaeology in school methinks....

Please don't take this as a flame by the way, it wasn't intended as one. I just can't bear to think that anyone would still read those books, they were just to make money.

:-)
Old 27-02-2007, 06:24 PM
John Saunders
Live long and prosper

This thread seems to suggest the best views are not from a dark night sky...rather

"THE TWILIGHT ZONE"

....doo, doo, doo, doo....