Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2013, 03:31 PM
earthairfire (Tim)

Hi from Melbourne!

Hi all,

For xmas my girlfriend bought me a celestron astromaster 114, and I've already fallen into the dangerous trap of deciding after a few months that I want to upgrade!

I work in product design, and shoot fashion photography in my spare time, so gadgets and optics tick a lot of geek boxes for me - I have a feeling that I've found an expensive new hobby!

I've bought some decent eyepieces that made a huge difference to the 114, but I'm planning to dip my toe into astrophotography so now a new mount is on the radar...

Look forward to lurking and posting lots of hopefully not-so-stupid questions soon!

Tim
Old 12-04-2013, 06:15 PM
tilbrook@rbe.ne (Justin Tilbrook)
JHT

Tim!

Yes this hobby is very addictive, soooo many aspects you can explore.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Justin.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:58 PM
raymo

You've got aperture fever already; the retailers will be rubbing their
hands with glee.
raymo
Old 16-04-2013, 11:32 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

After only being in this hobby for almost 2 years I can agree with the individuals who have been in it for decades that it is a really addictive hobby. It can be expensive too but you must do your research and be wise on what to purchase.

I first got into astrophotography using my iPhone and digital camera. Results were OK but it was a start. I then purchased a used Canon 350D DSLR but later found out it was not suited to my telescope. After this I bought a webcam and modified it but later broke so I ended up buying the NexImage 5 which I am using to this current day.

An example on researching prices is the NexImage 5 here in Australia costs $550. I bought mine from the USA over eBay for $200 including postage. Postage did take 3 weeks but I had saved $350!
Old 16-04-2013, 06:36 PM
HCR32 (Peter)

Mate your in trouble and the best part about it is you can blame your girlfriend for making the first purchase of many.
What are you planning on doing DSO or planetary? Knowing that will allow us to put you on the right track with your purchase. It also helps if we have an idea of what you can spend, ball park figure so no one makes a suggestion that can run into the tens of thousands, especially if your looking to only spend a grand or two.