PDA

View Full Version here: : Reverse discrimination.

Peter Ward
05-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Is it just me? Or is anyone else growing weary of Advertiser's, Hollywood's, TV & the Media's and even the education system's treatment of us mere males.

Too many adverts portray men as incompetent, dumb or needing a guiding female hand to tie their shoe-laces.

Hollywood dishes up female butt-kicking Amazons (tiny, but often attractive) to whom six foot seven first-rower is nothing but a minor inconvenience.

Community male "authority figures" (eg, bus/train conductors, big burly coppers who'd give you a literal kick up the bum as a kid if you were naughty) have been hunted to extinction.

The cirriculum at our schools has swung so far toward teaching the fairer sex that boys are being left behind.

Touchy-feely is in. Macho behaviour is often illegal, or bubble wraped to such an extent it's not longer fun (just have a look at the Personal Water Craft laws in NSW)

(Dirty) Harry Callahan's are no longer PC.

Yet given the shootings/stabbings/muggings/violence, particularly on Sydney streets I can't help but think more the pity......

DavidU
05-12-2009, 11:28 AM
If you look at the recent Tiger Woods episode if it was Tiger going the wife with a golf club he would have been thrown in jail.
But as it is no one even mentions the wifes violent actions.

matt
05-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Interesting.

It's a fair observation you make, Peter. Guaranteed to draw some fairly divergent opinion, too...depending on which side of the gender divide one finds oneself.

I must say I too have sometimes wondered about this gradual emasculation. It does appear the pendulum has swung the other way in a lot of areas of society and life.

Right or wrong? Fair/unfair? Who can say?

What I will say, and it's a statement I'll offer for many comments which are likely to follow, is that two wrongs don't make a right.

I have some very strong opinions about this topic, but they are probably best spoken about privately. I can see this thread potentially getting heated and turning ugly. So....until we get the chance to have a chat:hi:

TheDecepticon
05-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Don't get me started, Peter!:mad2: The white male has no rights! Not even the right to represent himself in court. Not only is there sexual discrimination against white males, racial discrimination is on the rise and it is considered ok if I get called white . Not saying anymore or I'm gonna rant badly!!:rolleyes:

Peter Ward
05-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Humm...I don't seem to recall putting one's race into the post...and let me be very clear: I like women...some very much indeed...but not all women, in the same manner as some blokes can drive me spare...

But have a closer look at TV advertising. Count the ads where you have either a female "authority" or male(s) shown as needing help, incompetent or just plain dumb.

Then do the reverse....the ads in the latter category are non-existent.

sjastro
05-12-2009, 11:58 AM
You're old enough to remember the portrayal of women in the 60's and 70's. It's probably a cyclic event.

Steven

dpastern
05-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Yeah well...as much as some will dislike my following comments, from a court point of view, it's a woman's world. Men get continously screwed on all counts.

Dave

marki
05-12-2009, 12:27 PM
I certainly agree with Peter on curriculum issues. In WA many courses are continually being rehashed to better suit females to the exclusion of males (the results speak for themselves, we just think differently). Family courts and many work places also fail to recognise males as even being worthy of civil rights and we are expected to take it on the chin. Australian men need a stronger voice both in society and within political lobbies. I am all for equality but believe the balance has been tipped too far the other way.

Mark

CoombellKid
05-12-2009, 12:31 PM
You guys/fellas ever been caught in the washingmachine called the
Family Court??? and they jailed Marcus Enfield for telling fibs.

If you have you will get a fair idea about male discrimination.

Cheers,CS

jjjnettie
05-12-2009, 12:32 PM
I've so much to say on this topic.
But I'll keep it short.

The feminist movement has come a long way, but unfortunately there aren't many true feminists out there. It seems that an awful lot of women are after all they can get without putting anything back in.
Women need to behave in a more gentleman like manner to gain true equality and respect.

dpastern
05-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Well said Jeanette. Unfortunately, the modern girl doesn't think that way. It's how good looking a guy can I get, how much money does he have, and how can I screw him for that if we split up. Call me a pessimist, call me negative, I'm simply stating what I see with my own eyes.

Dave

citivolus
05-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Oh, there are still good ones out there. I'm married to one. My sisters, on the other hand...

Peter Ward
05-12-2009, 01:00 PM
:lol: Reminds me of " My fair Lady"

"Why can't a woman be more like a man?" wondered Henry Higgins

and a well worn quip....a man opens a door for a (feminist) woman.

She barks at him "You didn't have to open the door just because I'm a woman"

His response: "No...I did it becuase I'm a gentleman ! "

dpastern
05-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Not many. Again, I don't proclaim to have seen or met every woman in existence. I'm just basing my comment on my experiences. I know of a lot of guys who think the same as me, but are just too timid to say it. It's not socially acceptable to say what I've said, and many frown of it as socially stepping out of line. I've never been one for really following society's "rules". I'm no sheep.

Dave

MrB
05-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Interesting thread.
There was an interesting discussion on TripleJ recently about the Twilight movies... which, if you are not familiar with them.... are mostly about showing young men prancing about with no shirts on for a couple of hours.
There were some interesting phone calls from the parents/siblings of teenage girls.

It's interesting how we've gone from a society that whinged and whined about semi naked women on TV/movies and advertisements... to one where the same is happening with men (30 foot high Calvin Clein billboards anyone?) and there's silence.
Seriously, I don't want to see Beckham's package(sock).

It's not all men though, anyone who has sat up past midnight watching TV would have seen all the "Russian Girls" and "girls gone wild" and "call me now" adverts, I dunno how they get away with a lot of it.

marki
05-12-2009, 01:08 PM
You are right on the money JJJ. As a kid I watched my parents pitch in equally on all fronts whether that be cleaning our soiled nappies, putting food on the table or blasting a snake with a shotgun to protect us kids. I never knew it could be any other way so you can imagine how bemused I have been as an adult :confused2:. Respect is such a simple word.

Mark

DavidU
05-12-2009, 01:15 PM
I must say that I also found it appalling the way women were used in advertising during the 70's & 80's. I'm glad that has stopped to a large degree.

strongmanmike
05-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Funny Peter you and I have not seen eye to eye in the past on a couple of rather unimprotant things... but on this topic of the portrail, treatment and expectations of men and global climate change we are in complete agreement :thumbsup:

The gender inequality in level of salary came up yet AGIAN recently :rolleyes: ..but as usual still no reference to the fact that 9 Aussie men die as a result of work related incidents/illness to every one woman - it's pathetic.

Mike
I love women too :D

jjjnettie
05-12-2009, 01:52 PM
On the other hand, men need to get in touch with their feminine side to truly relate to us frails.;)

LOL, more men in skirts I say. eh Mike. LOL

strongmanmike
05-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Ah sigh... I remember those good'ol days...

Ya can even see what's under mine in this shot :eyepop:

http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/61611935/original

;)

Starkler
05-12-2009, 02:29 PM
And then we had the giant billboard shoe ad over the monash fwy featuring a woman holding a leash tied to a collar on a semi naked man on all fours under her feet. To reverse the genders in such a depiction would be unthinkable.

We are not a more enlightened society that has outgrown discrimination. We have merely shifted it according to the power wielded by political interests.

P.S. There is no such thing as "reverse discrimination." Either there is discrimination or there is not.

sheeny
05-12-2009, 02:38 PM
There is a term for it... "male bashing". It should be pointed out for what it is, and not accepted lightly or ignored.

Steve Biddulph puts it into perspective well in his book "Manhood".:)

Al.

seanliddelow
05-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Locking is imminent:lol:

fringe_dweller
05-12-2009, 02:41 PM
big Boo Hoo :lol: fella's better start watchin' the telly again (outside of sport) and doing the shopping, if want advertising ect. demographics to change
the ads i cant stand are were the 10 yr old (usually male) is smarter than all the adults, and decides which big tonka toy 4wd ozone destroying behemoth the missus is gunna to the shops and pick up the kids with, in the process block my view, and tailgate me, the dickens do you do!

err ..MR Mike ..erm ... that pic is kinda undermining our case :face:

multiweb
05-12-2009, 02:56 PM
:eyepop: :lol: That's what I look like holding a shopping bag after a week-end of my wife's clothes shopping back from DFO. :thumbsup: Without the skirt though ;)

strongmanmike
05-12-2009, 04:09 PM
The first time I lified this stone I nearly passed out after one step :lol: :screwy:

multiweb
05-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Man how do you walk with this? I mean do your muscle cramp? How do you keep going? Mind over matter? :lol: Seriously 170kg must be a severe load on the spine whichever way you look at it. You do core training prior or just loads of heavy lifting?

DavidU
05-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Mike... that heavy lifting stuff is just wrong:eyepop::lol:

mick pinner
05-12-2009, 05:13 PM
my father said to me many years ago, the biggest drawback you will ever have in this country is being a white Australian working male. how true this is now, all the do gooders make money of the minorities.

multiweb
05-12-2009, 06:22 PM
My mum would then cook the snake. Nothing lost :lol: . I guess you get your kids as you raise them. I try to get mine to be open minded and tolerant. Problem is the TV bashing makes our job harder. We live in a world of global communications/marketing and people don't make the difference between TV News and reality these days. Especially true with kids. Lots of expectations just to feel like they "fit in".

marki
05-12-2009, 06:31 PM
LOL Steve. I think everyone who lived in NW WA at that time had one mate. I still have the image in my mind of the old girl pointing and shooting and the place where the snake had been :confused2:. I was about 4 at the time :).

Mark

GrahamL
05-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Pete I don't get where most of your rant is coming from, sorry ,been sitting in the surf with the odd jet ski showing up and preceding to trash the entire water around you with chop and not to mention an idiot bouncing a few hundred kilos of boat all around your space . Like in every instance I've seen you could run down the beach a few hundred mtrs without any problems .

Bit like tossers with fast cars who complain bitterly bout speed
limits .. do there best to not get caught out .. :) :D.. but when they do its the system thats at fault not the driver.

OzRob
05-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Just don't try to be too cool like this guy in the UK...

Teacher fired after stripping to waist (http://www.iinet.net.au/customers/news/articles/980240.html) :sadeyes:

One of the benefits of living in Thailand is that political correctness is fairly unknown here. Well, my belief may just come from my not understanding Thai very well...lol

starlooker
05-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Can you give some specific examples?

multiweb
05-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Most if not all the tampax ads where a young dumb a**, sorry male wonders what it's all about? And of course the girl is "the smart one" coz she knows better and points out how stupid a bloke can be. :lol:

Peter Ward
05-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Given the draconian restrictions and blanket bans on Jet ski's (eg the whole freaking harbour) I don't see your position either...

Legalities aside... IMHO only a wuss would not appreciate a Ferrari V8 going ballistic through to 8,000 rpm ;)

P.S.
My apologies to the Silver Beemer driver whom I passed (albeit not strictly legally) in Royal today..... :)

Peter Ward
05-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Humm...Great Wall of China was built to keep the rabbits out?

(funny advert...but I'd bet you'd hear the howls if the gent was cast as a dim woman)

dpastern
05-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Yeah, well, it is the UK. The most spied on country in the world. The most expensive country to live in in the world (probably). And, sadly, it looks like the good 'ole British humour is disappearing :(

Yup. Agreed.

Dave

taminga16
06-12-2009, 06:43 AM
A good indication of the way things are going in relation to this matter is to listen to stand-up comedians, their targets are white hetrosexual working males because nothing else is "safe"!

Greg.

taminga16
06-12-2009, 06:50 AM
On the matter of the Twilight phenomenon.

Greg.

taminga16
06-12-2009, 06:54 AM
And when they arrived, you probably wouldn't have time to grab your "jarmies"
before you were dragged away!

troypiggo
06-12-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm gonna burn my bra... I mean jock-strap! Who's with me?!

Rhino1980
06-12-2009, 08:18 AM
I agree with you that big burly coppers are in short supply, or more to the point, the rules they are forced to work within have left them powerless. I disagree that its got to do with sex based discrimination though, and would say its more to do with the "Rights" before "Responsibilities" culture that is prevelant in our society today. Kids and their bloody "rights". That and PC-ness. Our country is way too sensitive to the "needs" of ethnic people these days and thats why we have these enclaves forming. The Police are pretty much unable to do anything for fear of reprisals. Anyone remember the story on ACA about the Lebanese car hoons and their blatent disrespect for all things Australian?

$0.02

sheeny
06-12-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm with you sist... brother! It's our inalienable right to burn our bras and or jockstraps! Solidarity brothers! ...and sisters!

(Why do you want to be a woman Stan?);)

Al.

strongmanmike
06-12-2009, 12:40 PM
A Current Affair???? :doh:

Outbackmanyep
06-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Yes its trend, what can we do about it? NOT MUCH!

MrB
06-12-2009, 12:58 PM
LOL, nice one Greg! :thumbsup:

space oddity
06-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Do you remember the old primary school story "topsy turvey land"? where everything is the opposite of what was there before. PC is just that.
Criminals, the very ones who do not follow the rules, seem to be given the most rights. The cops have to tread lightly when dealing with them. Contrast this with the crap many of us regular(straight, white, working) get when we get pulled over on some minor traffic infringement.
Although we supposedly live in a democracy (rule by the majority), it seems the more minority and crazy the group whingeing is, the more credence they get when it comes to making rules.
Those that work the hardest and pay the most taxes are given the least back in welfare state entitlements. The bludgers, who refuse to contribute to society to earn their privelidges, are regarded as underprivledged and given more and more of the pie.
Courts try to find any excuse to let criminals off, but if you are a regular(straight, white ,working)guy who transgresses, the courts will crucify you. Compensation is paid by the taxpayer to criminals who get what they deserve in prison.
Once again I note no Christmas decorations on the Town Hall- they are worried that "some muslim MIGHT complain".Yes folks, PC is actually PARANOID behavior, the portent of a society on the verge of collapse.
I could go on forever with more examples. The human race DESERVES to be wiped out on December 21, 2012

Politically incorect............and proud of it.

OzRob
06-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I had heard that this was happening in the UK and it is sad to see it sneak its way into Australia. I worked in Malaysia for a little over 3 years. Every Christmas they have Christmas carols and decorations in the shopping centres. I guess they are not concerned about offending the muslim majority...:whistle:

AstralTraveller
07-12-2009, 09:32 AM
It's just as well no one ever goes to the Royal for some peace and quiet. I can't explain just how reassuring it is to walk >5km and still be able to hear the sound of motors being flogged. Who is going to move that the name be changed to the Royal National Public Racetrack?

FredSnerd
07-12-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm starting to understand why modern ads depict men as air heads

DJDD
07-12-2009, 12:44 PM
I realise that a lot of ads would not be allowed if the roles were reversed, and it is a bit annoying.

and I cannot say I have gone through Family Court.

sure, you don't hear about Prostate cancer a lot (except Movember) and a lot of men die in the workplace..

but, honestly, do you guys really feel men have a raw deal in our society?

Wavytone
07-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Yes mean do have a raw deal. As for the Family Court, the discrimination there against men is disgraceful - from personal experience.

avandonk
07-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Could I just say it is NOT reverse discrimination. It is DISCRIMINATION whether real or not!

The mere statement of 'reverse discrimination' implies that discrimination is a one way street.

I personally think another fifty odd years of rubbishing males should just about make up for all the rubbishing of females for the last few thousand years.

Bert

supernova1965
07-12-2009, 01:04 PM
And then in fifty years time the men could say the same but the other way round talk about GROUNDHOG DAY:D an endless cycle of payback:screwy:

DJDD
07-12-2009, 01:37 PM
it's we, the childless couples, who are really discriminated against... :P

matt
07-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Like I said much earlier in this thread - two wrongs don't make a right.

Both sexes need to make it clear discrimination based on gender is unacceptable, regardless of what's come before, otherwise the whole shooting match just keeps going round and round.

avandonk
07-12-2009, 03:14 PM
None of you realize about worship of the fecundity of females before it was all worked out. Once stupid men realised that they held all fertility the reign of the female Goddess stopped. Then there was thousands of years of killing because one mob was different to our mob. Stupid males killed each other to prove even minor points of dissagreement.

I wish you all luck if you still feel this way.

Bert

supernova1965
07-12-2009, 03:34 PM
We are all one MOB when did killing come in to this I personally don't want to see anyone dead or be responsible for any deaths and Last I looked I was still a Stupid Male hang on I will look again yes it's still there:rofl:. Even this killing that you speak of is the same thing around and around over and over GROUNDHOG DAY!

Peter Ward
07-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Actually there is no-where in the Royal you can get a Maranello V8 up to 8,000 rpm. unless you don't want to get out of first gear or are suicidal...both of which I personally frown upon. Eastern Creek is a much better venue.

That said..there are lots of tight hair pin bends you can round at a perfectly legal clip....yet some of the automotively challenged will negotiate at 20km/kr....with a "bugger you" to all those stuck behind who don't actually want to spend the whole day in the park.

The simple courtesy...dare I say "gentlemanly conduct" of pulling over to let following traffic pass...as I have seen many considerate Caravan towing motorists do....is lost on some

Peter Ward
07-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Oh come now Bert....how many troops did Maggie Thatcher send off the the Faulklands or Golda Meir into Palestine. I suspect this is a human rather than gender specific failing. I was going to add Helen Clark to the list...but I suspect the Kiwi's haven't realised she's a bloke. :)

Screwdriverone
07-12-2009, 05:02 PM
I want to have babies...... :P

I agree with the basic sentiment of reversal of cultural sex stereotypes,

I would just like to point out my observations of a few (if not all) (strong, feminist type) women I know who met their rebellious, strong willed macho boyfriends, fell in love, got married, then proceeded to scream, complain and moan about EVERY thing they do and change EVERY thing their Men stood for, believed in, enjoyed in life and all the things that basically made them who they were in the first place, until they are a broken down wimpy husk of a man who doesnt know how to make an important decision as simple as where to go on holidays without "checking in with the missus first" because if they do...."GOD" help them because they will get the finger swinging "How DARE you NOT consult me" speech with all the African American Bootylicious alpha female tyrade that comes with it followed by the ubiquitus "you go GIRL!" from all her friends when she moans about it to them afterwards.

And THEN they have the gall to state: " You are NOT the man I fell in love with!"

There is your problem!

I am not bitter.......MUCH. ;)

Cheers

Chris

Lee
08-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Good points - the criminals/police --- more the fault of lawyers, who will nitpick what the police do to the n'th degree to try and free their scumbag on a technicality. The other problem is our lameduck judges (more lawyers) who listen to them.

I just thought the second quote needed repeating!

bojan
08-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Those are just drops in the ocean..
It is notorious fact that a woman has to be twice as good as a man to be regarded as equal and be successful... your examples are extreme: all of those ladies were exceptional in their abilities and personalities (this statement does not mean I admire them for what they represent and policies they were implementing.. but I do admire them for what they achieved as strong leaders..).

jjjnettie
08-12-2009, 10:11 AM
She's no feminist, she's just a loud mouthed, controlling so and so who just wants her own way all the time.
Her attitude towards marriage is wrong.
"Aisle.....Alter.....Hymn"
As for having to ask permission to go out....wrong.
Consulting to make sure there are no other plans.... sure.
Big difference.
Her friends....when the marriage finally breaks up, are the ones that encourage her to strip him of all his assets, "Go for it girl, you can get half his tools too, what about his cd collection??"
I've seen it.
I don't blame some men for being bitter.

marc4darkskies
08-12-2009, 10:45 AM
I've seen it too - first hand. I don't care about comedic anti-male jibes on TV or in the movies. Just like when I can't find my keys when there sitting on the table in front of me ... because of my man-vision!! It doesn't bother me, and it certainly doesn't count as discrimination IMO - it just makes me laugh.

You want discrimination? This is what my lawyer said when I first consulted him for my divorce procedings back in 1992 (after her infidelity). " ... I wish you were the woman ... then I'd have some good news for you!! ...". She ended up with 65% of the net assets of the marriage! And don't get me started on the Child Support Agency!!

Cheers, Marcus

PS Happily (re)married now for 13 years

fringe_dweller
08-12-2009, 12:00 PM
thats right JJ, a controlling personality isnt exclusive to either gender, thats a human trait, makes me sad to almost daily read about males murdering their children and spouses, and its about control! dont hear about the other way around quite so much?

now back to my beef - soap opera's and most teen movies/shows ect. all thru history have portrayed adults generally as bumbling clueless buffoons - enuff already! :P

Paul Haese
08-12-2009, 04:48 PM
I only read the first two pages but you guys need to toughen up. These ads are designed to get your attention. Clearly that has happened. The trollop ads after midnight are so bad that the ads where men are portrayed as idiots just pale into insignificance. I hate both ads but I realise that the really bad ads are the ones that seek to elicit money from young men via phone bills while using women as sex objects, because women are seen as possessions. So what if men are portrayed as idiots. Most of them are really anyway. Drive like maniacs, fight each other over women or possession of them or do any other act of stupidity. So time for you dweebie lot to toughen up and accept the fact that women still have it a lot worse than we ever have and we can laugh about some woman standing over us with a leash around our necks. It could not be further from the truth. Flamming sooks.:P