PDA

View Full Version here: : The Difference between Cats and Dogs

jjjnettie
18-01-2008, 09:55 AM
DOG DIARY
8 am - Dog food! My favourite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favourite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favourite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favourite thing!
Noon - Lunch! My favourite thing!
1 pm - Played in the yard! My favourite thing!
5 pm - Milk bones! My favourite thing!
7 pm - Got to play ball! My favourite thing!
8 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favourite thing!
11 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favourite thing!

CAT DIARY
Day 983 of my captivity.
My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.
They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed
hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the
rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to
keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of
escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet.
I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly
demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made
condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am.

*******s!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was
placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event.
However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my
confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn what this
means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my
tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this
again tomorrow - but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches.
The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and
seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicate with the
guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move.
My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell,
so he is safe ... . ...

For now...

duncan
18-01-2008, 10:02 AM
LMHO:rofl:
Brilliant Nettie:thumbsup:
Hows the G-Star going?

jjjnettie
18-01-2008, 10:10 AM
LOL, It's so true isn't it.
A friend emailed it to me this morning.

I haven't used the G-Star since before Christmas. Stupid cloud and rain.

duncan
18-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Yep so true.
I can sympathise with you about the weather. Don't know what i've done to deserve it though,LOL.:shrug:

Night Owl
18-01-2008, 10:23 AM
I've never shot a feral dog. I've shot hundreds of feral cats.:thumbsup:

h0ughy
18-01-2008, 10:31 AM
LOL this cloud is producing some interesting reading JJJ

Dujon
18-01-2008, 10:54 AM
'Nettie, no one owns a cat; nor do they act as guardians other than in the sense of feeding the gorgeous critters and providing medical benefits - all at the expense of the local tax payer. *sighs*

DOG: 'That was a good roll, boss'
BOSS: 'Not another bath!
DOG: 'Don't blame me, Boss, you did say sit'

CAT: 'I've had a decent wash, Boss, might I sit on your knee?'
BOSS: 'Of course you can, you feline sorceress'
CAT: 'Just before I do' drags backside over carpet using front leg propulsion 'There, that's better'.
BOSS: Censored

mdgodf
18-01-2008, 11:00 AM
hmmm...seems my cats are actually dogs!

Terry B
18-01-2008, 01:53 PM
I've never shot either but I have never heard of a feral cat killing sheep but the dogs certainly do. Different problems I suppose.

Outbackmanyep
18-01-2008, 02:42 PM
CATS....The Other white meat.....

PS...Feral cats decimate wild bird populations, thats why they're hunted!

astroturf
18-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Dogs have owners, Cats have Staff !

Bryan

Night Owl
18-01-2008, 03:03 PM
There are very few feral dogs in these parts (Western Victoria). And I have never seen a dingo. The bad dogs usually turn out to be town pets that get out and turn nasty in a pack.

On another tack, sheep aren't a protected native species, and aren't in danger of being rendered extinct by wild dogs, or cats.

Another thing I have noticed. Dogs won't climb trees and kill native birds, possums, sugar gliders, or anything else they can reach. Cats do.

And I wouldn't discount feral cats not killing sheep. I have shot a feral cat that was 85cm long from head to tail, and weighed 25kilos. That is bigger and meatier than the majority of foxes, which do kill sheep, that I have shot. It wasn't some cute little tabby. It was a killing machine that was intent on attacking me head on when I submitted it to the loud end of a 12 guage. The difference is a cat is a more alert and cunning hunter than dumb old brer Fox.

Ric
18-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Loved the analogy JJJ, a classic. all true for sure.

Cheers

xelasnave
18-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Rain grows the imagination better than the grass... a very nice read indeed and most entertaining Jeanette.

I think I will do some re runs on the Garfield movies

alex

Omaroo
18-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Too good Jeanette :)

jjjnettie
18-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Feral dogs are a real problem around here.
I know of one lady who was checking her fences, saw one dog, then two, then the pack. She is very lucky that her car was nearby.
The last few months the council has been making a real effort to get rid of feral dogs.

All pet owners should be responsible for their critters.
For a start they should all be desexed unless you are a registered breeder.

kljucd1
18-01-2008, 09:33 PM
:lol:

:lol:...and it's true too.

I like cats, they are much better then those flea bitten, stinky, incessantly barking pooches...or maybe that is just my mum's dog :shrug:

Daniel...

Matty P
18-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Had a good laugh... :lol: :thumbsup:

and still am... :rofl: :2thumbs:

Bobj
19-01-2008, 07:49 AM
No matter what mood you come home from work, your dog is happy to see you. A cat could not care less....

Many years ago, when Steve Irwin was starting out with the TV documentaries, he went to a waterhole in the Qld outback. Hardly any wildlife in the district, but I seem to remember he caught 36 feral cats....

Ric
19-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Not completely true Bobj, when we get home from work Puss is always waiting at the door to greet us which involves being picked up and given a pat and a cuddle. This also involve lots of purring.

This is not occasionally, this is everyday. It has a lot to do with bonding with your pet's I suppose.

Dujon
19-01-2008, 11:02 AM
I hope that my previous post was not objectionable to any one. If it was I apologise.

Yesterday I had to allow the veterinarian to put one of my moggies on the first rung of the stairway to heaven. She was only eight. Lots of damp eyes around here at the moment.

Ric
19-01-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm sorry to hear that John, its always a terrible time when this happens.

After all they are our Furkids.

xelasnave
19-01-2008, 11:35 AM
I love my dogs, I love the cats also in my life,

Love is respect...

I respect all creatures and I guess by the definition of the term respect can say I love all creatures...

it upsets me to hear about creatures that have been firstly domesticated by humans for their use and comfort who when returned to their original state by being cast out of the human world for whatever reason..and being forced to survive without humans to care for them...that they are now "feral" and killed because they must seek their existence using the skills nature has left them with...

but they only kill to survive..

if only humans killed simply to survive and not because of hate...would any of us do less if we became feral than kill to survive? yet humans turn to hating the feral and of course hate is the justification for killing..and saving the environment or species is a justification for the hate and the lust for killing..
folk who kill other creatures in the name of protection are only having themselves on... they kill because they hate.... I respect those poor creatures that find themselves in environments they were removed from years ago by humans and now hated because they seek survival in an environment that has developed in their absence or environments far away from where their ancestors evolved.

If one is so concerned about the damage done to wild life by feral animals one wonders why concern is not raised in the areas that humans decimate wildlife... can anyone think of any .. or are humans faultless in this area.

alex

Ric
19-01-2008, 11:49 AM
A very well written point of view Alex, I fully agree.

Another word that comes to mind is responsibility, we are responsible for our pets actions. If people do not want to be responsible then don't have one.

Our cat stays in at night and only goes out when we are with him and then he always stays close by in the garden with us. You would always supervise and keep an eye on your children, is it really any different with your pets.

Cheers

xelasnave
19-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Thank you Ric....

I am sorry to moralise on a matter that can not be fixed but the point that I wish to make is that humans can be hypocritical when justifying their actions.

I applaude you as you are now doubt a fine human being who accepts responsibility for your actions..if all could only be so.

And no doubt the issue of the killing of whales for science reasons ticks me off...900 odd is a lot of science I guess.... the killing is one thing but the hypocrisy is the major crime in that case... as it is in all cases where humans seek to justify their presumed entitlement to be above other creatures on this planet.

alex

Night Owl
19-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Seeing that you respect all animals I take it you are a vegan.

Humans domesticated WILD animals so they didn't have to run around chucking spears at them when they wanted a feed of protein. So how was the domestication process of wild animals a respectful activity? At least during a hunt an animal has a chance of using its skills to get away. What chance does a cow / chicken / sheep have of getting away?

And what about the moral arguement of leaving wild animals wild?

Where is the respect in keeping an animal a 'pet'? Or didn't you see Free Willy?:lol:

KEEPING AN ANIMAL AS A PET IS RESPECT FOR AN ANIMAL IS IT?

I think the same arguement was once used to keep slaves. EG: They don't know how to look after themselves, and they just live in the wild, and at least we civilise them and bring God to them.

The positive effects of domestication are discarded by most, if not all pets, when in the wild, very bloody quickly I can assure you. And if they were so cuddly feral pests would seek out human company, instead of shunning it.

"but they only kill to survive."

Fiction rushes in where fact leaves a vacuum doesn't it. Please do some research before you take the safety catch off your emotional sentimental rethoric.

Time and time again I have seen pet moggies drag back home dying native animals, just after the furry assasins have scoffed a whole bowl of Snappy Tom! They had no need to kill a Rainbow Lorikeet, they weren't at all hungry. So really your arguement it total BS. Cats will kill slowly just for the entertainment factor, despite how much they have just eaten. They are ruthless killers. And in the wild I have also seen feral cats kill native animals, only to leave it and walk off (they don't get far before kinetic energy catches up fast). Yeah, nature gave them skills allright, but their skills are about as appropriate in this country as Cane Toads are. I suppose we should respect Cane Toads as well!:lol:

So I only kill ferals because I hate them, and that's how I justify my lust for killing?:rofl:

Would it occur to you that I and other people hunt ferals because they respect the native animals to not be exterminated by an imported feral pest. By your defective logic I suppose anyone who has or wants to kill a Cane Toad to a fly are only doing it to justify their lust for killing!

I can see your grand vision. The entire continent overrun by feral animals till there isn't a native animal left or so much as a blade of grass.

And you call that respect for all creatures?

Man, the 60's must have been a blur for you!

AstroJunk
20-01-2008, 12:48 AM
Hey JJJ,

Here's a big cat that I was playing with last week.

I recon it was thinking... "Lunch!"

Gargoyle_Steve
20-01-2008, 05:19 AM
Night Owl that's an out and out unjustified attack on Alex's comments. You could have simply said you disagree with some of the things he said without putting all the anger or venom in it .............

[ I've chosen to delete the rest - the remainder serves no useful purpose anymore. Apologies to Night Owl or any other party if I gave offense in any way, that was never my intention. ]

=================================== ================

Back on topic - great posting Jeanette, I look forward to reading it to my 2 staffies - listening to me read is their favourite thing to do! ;)

Ric
20-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Hey Astrojunk, I can't begin to imagine how much of a buzz patting a Tiger must have been.

Cheers:)

xelasnave
20-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks Steve for sticking up for me:thumbsup:.

But nothing Night Owl has said do I find offensive in fact I like it when someone opens up and feels they can add to the subject under discussion.

To Night Owl I did not say I was a non meat eater ... as I said I love all creatures but some I prefer cooked...and in fact as I was eating my chicken last night there was a point where I looked at it and imagined the day it was a live creature being grown for no other purpose than to gain my respect er love... but don't think I did not feel that I too could be a little hypocritical given the thoughts I shared in this thread.

I don't know which matters you would really like me to talk further upon but I take it as a general matter that my personal views stimulated much of your reply...and believe me I liked it.. I did not find it insulting and say however that in reading Steve's comments it made me think folk may see it that way..but dont you worry about that I did not take it personally what else could you say really.

You have opinions and that is fine I dont think we have an issue there at all...

But perhaps if for a moment you could see my anguish for folk who like to kill things and use other reasons to justify their actions..and just recognise that is the way I feel..it does not mean I am right.. but it is the way I feel about killing of animals and things generally.... And I recognise its one of those things that if you like to kill I would imagine it will get a rise out of you ... thats good ...also justify killing of ferals as much as you want as it will dilute the thurst of the point I seek to make...no problems with me at all...but I will still call killing wrong and those who kill I will accuse them of having a lust for it... I hope you have no problem with that.

I would like you to expand on the specifics of the kills if it helps you explain yourself.

I can identify with how my statements must upsets you...lust for killing..well I agree they are strong words...but if you kill over and over irrespective of the justification what else can one call it but a lust to kill...

I know it sounds bad but I feel that is the way it is..and I said so...you feel the way you do and you said so...that is the way it should be...

I live on 200 acres of mountain bushland away from the realities of the world somewhat a paradise really... I respect and love the creatures around the place and fortunately there are no feral animals as I think the environment is too hard for them... and to be honest not having to face the problem you see is both a blessing for me but no doubt takes my mind away from the real problem some introduced species present in various areas. I have 3 dogs but no cats and fortunately have not seen a wild cat..we still have dingoes but I dont think you could call them a feral animal...still so many folk want to shot them and they do no damage around here at all...

I wish I was firing on all cylinders today and could provide you with a better response but in truth I am a little flat today...sorry.

I liked your inference that the sixties were at time when I like many of that era that I enjoyed the flower power life style and as much as I would like to say yes I had a great time wish I could remember unfortunately I can not say that I got into the flower power thing and all that..I lead a very normal and quiet life..working during the day studying at night I did not even have a weekend hobby ..I was sortta a nurd by anyaccont..then followed getting married raising my first batch of kids and managing a business... I did not have a drink until I was 24 years old would you believe.

I too am frustrated that the world is not perfect I know that but I simply do not like to see things killed as if it were a duty by the person who has taken upon themselves a course that by their personal vendetta that they will make things right. Mainly because that view is delusional any action to fix the feral problem needs a better approach and I feel that a reasonable person must accept that is sadly the case.

But I would encourage you given the various things that you see wrong in the world not to think that as they are present that you can justify killing of a feral just because it is unfortunate enough that they findthemselves having to fend for itself...

Now before I go I must say this... my grandfather always told me that if I started a fight I would get a flogging.... but if I found myself in a fight and I lost I would get a worse flogging... but I love to fight so throw me some punches so I can say you started it.

Yours was a good post.:thumbsup:
alex:):):)

fringe_dweller
20-01-2008, 03:07 PM
not the same old lame soft target thinly veiled fruedian misoginistic macho BS about cats ruining the planet! are you serious? lets compare the enviromental damage done by that species called humans to that done by cats shall we? and incidentally the cat issue is originally caused by HUMANS! the ones i really want seen shot and worn as hats are the feral humans that dont desex their cats!
i am a keen bushwalker, and night walker, and i can tell you by far the biggest problem would FOXES, and GOATS, there seem to be millions upon millions of foxes around here, i am yet to see a feral cat? and foxes being half dog half cat? must be a no-go area? i dont see anyone wearing fox hats? or goat hats or camel hats hmmmmm something else underlying here

Night Owl
20-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Likewise xelasnave, absolutely no offense taken, and none intended. Or as Evelyn Beatrice Hall under the pseudonym Stephen G. Tallentyre wrote as an epitome to Voltaire [François Marie Arouet] (1694–1778), French philosopher, author. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.'' Voltaire's Essay on Tolerance also included: "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Needless to say I disagree with your ideas. But as I see it there is absolutely nothing wrong, bad, evil, rude, insulting, offensive, insensitive, unhealthy, or corrupt etc with having an arguement, as long as violence is not resorted to in some perverted manner to finish it (as is sadly the case in many historical curcumstances). In fact, it is good mental exersize arguing, as it challenges you to think about what you actually are prepared to believe in and act on.

That is why not being prepared to challege ideas you don't believe are right is the mortal enemy of every free willed human. History is full of the tragedies of entire nations of people being silently complicit to serious wrongs against individuals and other nations. That's bad.

What sort of world would it be if we all had to think the same? It would be the fruition of Adolf Hitlers vision for a thousand year reich, that's what!

So, if I disagree with you, or anyone elses ideas, I will attack your ideas that I disapprove of.

But on the same level, if I, or anyone else opens their mouth, then we should have the intellectual maturity to expect that not everyone is going to agree with us, and sing our praises. We should EXPECT that our ideas will not be universally accepted. And if we expect otherwise we need psychological help because we are demonstrating meglomaniacal personality traits!

But it isn't really an attack if someone doesn't agree with us. It is a CHALLENGE. I for one have no problem with having to defend what I say, and I actually enjoy the experience if people do. I might change my mind. I might even learn something I never would have otherwise.

I would rather have that happen than end up being the intellectual equivlent of the main charater in Hans Christian Anderson's "The Kings New Clothes", or George W Bush for a modern parable.

In fact I am sometimes accused of provoking an arguement, just for the hell of it. And yes I will do that, as it is a healthy cognitive workout! ;)

The real problem is when anyone tries to remove your right to express your ideas, and stifle debate.

Actually this issue of who can't say what to who shows up a bigger problem than all others, that is gathering momentum in society. The runaway destruction of free speech is illustrated by having to be Politically Correct.

You want an example of the utter stupidity of having to be Politically Correct...

Director Peter Jackson, of Lord of the Rings fame, is working on remaking the Movie based on the famous World War 2 617 squadron "Dam Busters" raid. Guy Gibson, the 617 Squadron Leader had a pet dog was called "Nigger", as it was a black labradour. The code word for a successful dam attack was "Nigger", as the dog had been run over and killed the day of the attack. Well knock me down with a feather, Jackson is coming under considerable pressure to not use the word "Nigger" in the movie because some people consider it a racist slur to use the word "Nigger" as the name for a dog!

The word "Nigger" means 'BLACK' in spanish! Gibson didn't name his dog after any hue of human pigmentation!

Forget that it is historically correct, and was over 60 years ago, and that Gibson was risking his life to defeat the Nazi's, and that Gibson loved the dog, and he was eventually killed in action!

Just don't offend anyone or hurt their feelings!

And to go one better, in America and England now in school classes you can no longer call the board at the front of a class that the teacher writes stuff on a "Black Board". But you can call it a white board! I'm not kidding.

I recommend everyone read George Orwell's "1984". Basically, its about what happens when governments eradicate such words as freedom, rights, and struggle etc. The basic premiss is if you eradicate the word, people will no longer know what to do if they lose freedom, rights, or anything else....

Total evil is only prevented by everyones right to free speech.

xelasnave
20-01-2008, 07:14 PM
A wonderful post Night Owl but please call me alex.

I was thinking about the feral problem and in fact think it would make a great thread.. I saw some rabbits around here and they have not been around for ages...the problem needs more work than individuals can do.

I had a neighbour in Tabulam proper an aboriginal chap and blow me down guess what his name was.... "Blackie" ... I asked him how he felt about it and he said what can you do..."when I got this name we did not have political correctness..."
But out of respect for the Nigger thing instead of calling those plants we used to call Nigger Boys or Black Boys I now call them Playboys... I hope I dont offend anyone from the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney.

Have a great day I really enjoyed your post Thank You

alex

jjjnettie
20-01-2008, 08:57 PM
How very sad. My sympathies are with you.
( I found nothing offensive in your last post )

Most of the pets I've had have been rescued.
There was Matilda (Tilly), a Foxie cross wire haired terrier who was abandoned, pregnant, in the middle of a busy freeway.:sadeyes: She was a terrific little dog for me. She used to come to work with me every day. Me to my job, and she to the Produce Agency next door, killing rats and mice, she was paid in dog food.
My horse was a giveaway, left in a paddock, old, sick and neglected. The most quiet gentle trustworthy giant you'd ever meet.
My cat I got from Animal Rescue. Dumped when she got pregnant.
Our new dog was from a dumped litter. The only survivor, the rest starved to death.:mad2:
If people are going to have pets, they must take responsibility for them through all phases of their lives. You can't just dump them when things get complicated.
If you can't afford to desex them, don't get a pet.
If you can't afford to keep a few hundred dollars aside for vet bills, don't get a pet.
If you have a pet and can't keep your commitment to them, you have to do the right thing by them. You can't just dump them in the bush to fend for themselves.
I'll get off my soapbox now.

Night Owl
20-01-2008, 09:02 PM
quote=fringe_dweller "Not the same old lame soft target thinly veiled fruedian misoginistic macho BS about cats ruining the planet!"

You got a funky psycho-sexual reason why I also like roast chicken with stuffing and gravy? :lol:

Night Owl
20-01-2008, 09:19 PM
I have two friends at work, one is called "Black", and he's Italian, and another requests he be called "Darkie", as he doesn't like his 'real' name! Darkie happens to be a south sea islander. Having talked to those guys about their names, and how they feel about it they say it comes down to one very important factor. Its not what they are called that is important, but THE INTENT of why they are called it.

For example a Jewish person calling a fellow Jew a Jew would not normally be considered a racially inspired insult or racial slur. But if a nazi called a Jewish person a Jew then despite the same language and same spelling it is highly likely the word Jew is converted to mean a racially motivated slur.

It really is a case of what's in a name?

And more importantly, can the political correctness police really hope to erase hatred and contempt by trying to eradicate the word (there is that Orwellian 1984 thing again)? I don't think so. I think it is an excersize in a waste of time. The only thing that would make sense is to educate and thus eradicate THE INTENT of the insult or slur.

You can call a dog a dog, but does the dog really care what you call it? As long as it gets its supper and you treat it with respect it will answer to anything. Its the respect that works, not the name. Same with people.

xelasnave
20-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Mens Rea or something like that...our criminal law mostly requires a guilty intent otherwise there is no crime... so if you kill somone make sure you tell the arresting officer...I did not mean to kill him and repeat that to all from that point on and you get manslaughter rather than murder...
I call my dogs my little darlings who are very pretty and very handsome and they seem to like that even if I am not eating at the time.

Yes its still raining or at least that mist that is wet........

alex

Gargoyle_Steve
21-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Night Owl I've deleted most of my previous post, simply because emotions are obviously now running on a different level to what they were, and it's apparently water under the bridge. I sincerely hope I didn't create the impression that freedom of thought is frowned upon by the community at large here, because that simply isn't true.

Cheers to you both! :cheers:

----------------------------------------------------

For what it's worth - just so my own opinions aren't thought t have motivated my post - I love my dogs, and am very much inclined towards protecting nature and animals where posible, however I have done a fair amount of hunting in the past, I have shot feral cats, foxes and wild pigs amongst other things.

And ..... if I had the power to delete all cane toads in Australia from existence with the push of a single button I'd do it so quick you'd have trouble seeing me!
:D

fringe_dweller
21-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Yes, my diagnosis is you're just plain fruity sir, admit yourself to the nearest mental health unit poste haste :D

fringe_dweller
21-01-2008, 01:01 AM
im sorry as the long time partner of a cat lover, i have learned to love our feline friends, unless they are non nuetered males in particular, not a more offensive creature walks the earth i'm sure, but snip snip and hey presto, all the stinkin alley cat stereotypes are gone?
i often see people who 'own' cats' and they taunt and abuse them, and go, wow look how ungrateful and sleazy unfriendly they are - but my number one tip for how i stopped knockin the moggy and looking at them like the learned to love our fellow pussycats and accept them as the equals they are, and maybe even our overlords? and not the spitting vessels of evil wickedness personified -

don't under circumstances laugh at a cat, that is the height of rudeness and they never forget

signed Dr. phil kearn, cat whisperer

jjjnettie
21-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Mr Robert A Heinlein gave the same advice in his book " The Door Into Summer"
"You must never laugh at them (cats)"
"Not because they aren't funny, they're extremely comical. But they have no sense of humour and it offends them. Oh, a cat won't scratch you for laughing, he'll simply stalk off and you'll have trouble making friends with him."

fringe_dweller
21-01-2008, 01:38 AM
woah didnt know that jj!, he knew his cats! :) well trained ;)

Night Owl
21-01-2008, 01:40 AM
I'm usually only concerned about an arguement if I start bleeding as a result of it. I figure absolutely nobody is ever going to suffer anything as serious as a paper cut from partaking in a joust of words in an online forum, no matter what the topic, or how heated it gets. It simply can't hurt, sort of a 'sticks and stones' sort of thing. In fact it is probably good for most people to safely vent off steam in a forum, and for others to have their sensibilities slapped around a bit as well. When that happens regularly you find you are more willing to accept others opinions as being different than your own, and find you won't actually melt or die if someone doesn't agree with you or do what you want in all other areas of your life.

Or, it isn't good for your mental health if you get everything your own way.

Of some concern to me is that the social engineers of society have somehow made it appear that if anyone gets angry about anything, and dare express their feelings, they are judged to be a dangerous lunatic or something. For example, when this happened to me...

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=27483

I'm sure I was well within the emotional operating parameters for an adult human male in the circumstances. I didn't assault anyone, I never made threats to kill, but I let them know I wasn't going to be a frikken door mat, and just sign on the line for the sake of their convenience, and just accept that I had just better cop it sweet and hug my $1000 of broken useless scope. I had paid $90 to have my first scope delivered, and some careless bonehead had destroyed it through sheer negligence. If I don't have a right to get angry in those circumstances, when would I have?

The denying of and repression of basic human emotions (such as getting pissed off) can lead to some very unhealthy behaviour in the long run, such as individuals 'Going Postal' when their emotional tank eventually and violently ruptures.

fringe_dweller
21-01-2008, 01:46 AM
its called going ice-icle around here :D

omnivorr
21-01-2008, 06:24 AM
...the difference between "humans" and cats and dogs is a tiny one that few humans can percieve without long and attentive association with those animals....

they lack conceit.

in an inverse proportion it can be observed that those humans that pontificate as to the "lesser" being of those animals do themselves exhibit gross manifestation of that trait that cats and dogs lack.

it is the sad result of millenia-long "marriage" between species of different longevity of individuals, and different intelligence.... the longer-lived less-intelligent have deluded themselves into thinking they are superior...

the supermarket-fed off-the-shelf EGOnaut wanks about what's feral and dribbles about the philosophical rectitude of their own pursuits, all Nike'd safe and glam.... ...you know who you are... Next time you plant your flaccid arse on an ant that bites you.. don't demonise the ant!!

think how un-vigilant your corpulant complacency has made you... how "unfit" you are to exist. You may condemn a cat because it kills but does not eat... but then, sloth-ignorant and arrogant, ..you know nothing of keeping yourself "KEEN" (in EVERY sense of the word)

in the cocoon of comfort these last 500yrs of earth-destruction bequeathed you... YOU dare to condemn those who faithful to your kind followed, indeed, were "blackbirded"-for your (forebears' )convenience, ... then discarded rather than kept (a burden of expense)...... (whether human or otherwise) .....and now you despise.

YOU new-born scoin of hypocrisy..... DARE you to make judgement of those exploited by your forebears to render you your comforts and self-idolatry
.......lazy nothing bucket p*ss-filled self-recycling fountain of vanity you are!!!

take heed of the black-death.... just prior, it was fashionable to hurl cats from high places...a cultish christian (sic) fascination.. and then the un-mitigated population of (no doubt "christian" ) rats bore the flea-vectored bubonic "germ".....

but nevermind...mummy's precious... if daddy's dollars don't preserve you.. you'll only burn with the rest of us.

and something "feral" may just lovingly lick your bones.

:- if I have offended anyone, ..if they recognise themselves in any way depicted in what I have said; ..then I offer my deepest apologies for being the one who confronted them with reality. I could only wish that someone else had done it to them much much sooner!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

xelasnave
21-01-2008, 10:57 AM
What a post there Omnivorr...:thumbsup:
Never have I read something so deep about stuff so shallow:thumbsup:. Great stuff of passion and observation:thumbsup:.

We are all trapped to a degree in the world you describe but some are fortunate to see the box we find ourselves in ..if only to pity the others who can not;).

I find each day some creature in difficulty that once I would have passed by or killed for convenience... a spider stuck in a bottle or a frog trapped inside the house or an ant in the toilet...and the funny thing each day one presents to me to test my resolve.. now I help them out and in that little act I give them respect such that I can respect my compassion and desire not to be another elite human...By saving them or giving them another chance at life I really save myself.

Folk dont understand the implications of that observer thing they speak of in general relativity.. an ant is the center of its Universe just as we are each the center of our own.
Maitain the passion.:thumbsup:

xelasnave
21-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Jeanette I love the compassion you have and very comforting to see the creatures you care for...:thumbsup:

You are a very nice person:thumbsup:.

I have found cats are very sensitive ..they remember if you have been harse I have no doubt and I think they will never forgive you if up punish them ...folk think they are standoffish but I think they just dont get involved if they sence you are not kind.

Dogs have feelings also I have no doubt.. mine have such interesting personalities ... the boy is like a human male as he needs assuring he is in control.. the girls know if I am upset and in their way try to comfort me when I am flat..they know when I am in pain also I feel.

I have never had a horse I really would like to get a young one and let it in the house like the dogs and be one of us... and experience its personality... I guess they would go outside when they needed to like the dogs.

xelasnave
21-01-2008, 11:23 AM
AND for those who think I am crazy and attribute it to dope or booze I say this being different does not need to be explained that way:eyepop:... I am one who does not need approval from others and happy with who I am.. If you think I am crazy thats OK but I am maybe more at peace than most, so I consider my state a wonderful one to enjoy.

netwolf
21-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Jeanette, i needed some comic relief. But then i read the rest of the thread..

It is easier to do a thing than to undo it. We have domesticated animals for our own needs for companionship. Why are we not satisfied with the companionship of other human beings? We casually speak of desexing animals, is this not a cruelty? Simply to breed these animals as companions and then to take responsibility of protecting other animals by desexing or hunting those that are not that have been abandoned, is it not hypocritical? They need to be cared for, the must be desexed to protect others. Why dont we care for all of them and desex them all to protect us..
Or would it be better to live and let live and where possible help them along. To accept them as they are and not try to make them as we need them to be.

Regards
Fahim

Night Owl
21-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I see you speak fluent urban environmentalist.:lol:

Night Owl
21-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Its fine de-sexing them, but how are you going to catch and desex the multiudes of the damn things that live, breed, kill and die in the wild? For example, I've hunted the damn things 300km from the nearest town or house in the deserts of the Northern Territory, where the only water around must have been the blood of other native mamals.

Also, your garden varierty urban moggie doesn't lose its interest in snuffing just about everything it can catch just because it sleeps on the foot of your bed, or had its nads surgically removed.

It really comes down to how suitable for this country a pet cat really is. For example, if I wanted to import an exotic pest animal the customs at the airport would flog me for trying to import an animal that could threaten Australias A to Z crop etc. But its ok to have a domestic pet, that if it buggers off over the back fence for keeps, and drops a litter of kittens, it will wreak absolute havoc on native animals for generations. Which is precisely what has happened.

Maybe we should make it compulsory for cat owners to also own a Cane Toad?:lol:

Why won't cat lovers stick up for Cane Toads and the environmental damage they do? I know why, because cane Toads aren't 'cute and cudly', and nobody wants one sitting on their lap, let alone to pat it! :lol:

Lucky saltwater crocs don't have fur and purr when you scratch them behind the ear! There would be a lot less hippies in the world, and a few more content fat crocs!:rofl:

Night Owl
21-01-2008, 02:57 PM
You may not believe this, but I agree entirely with you! But I also realised many years ago that there is an infinite amount of suffering involved in living. And one of the things astronomy teaches you is you, us, the planet, the entire galaxy we freewheel on, doesn't account for anything much in the scale of the universe. Nothing we do means anything but to us, on this lonely isolated rock. Which is lucky really, because if we could, I'm sure the human race would quickly screw up somewhere else at an exponetial rate!

But, I suppose that is the price evolution demands, a survival of the fitest, and luckiest. I count myself lucky every day if I avoid exposure to yet another sorrowful event, large and small. But I also greatly appreciate that I am alive, and I have witnessed creation. I've also realised that on my own I could never do enough about what I would like to do. But, you can only do so much, and sometimes it is easier to walk away or drive on by, because you haven't got anything left to give, and you can no long face the sadness. Or as a friend of mine who is a fireman said. If you can't save yourself, you won't save anyone else in the future.

fringe_dweller
21-01-2008, 03:00 PM
erm i wonder who can tell me what the number one killer of our iconic species koala's are in this country? if you responded fido you are correct

to compare the cat's eco footprint to the damage loss of habitat causes to little birdies ect. in history by farming and suburban development, specially draining swamps and lagoons, is just plain farcical - oh but that comes under 'dominion over all things' if your a bible reader i believe

btw i have never stepped in cat ****e while walking in the park :D

xelasnave
21-01-2008, 03:39 PM
The reality is that species migrate and certainly we can feel guilty as it was us ( the recent wave of humans) who are responsible for bringing the cat, the dog, the cane toad, the horse , the camel, the goat, the fox, the rabbit those birds..indian minor? etc to these shores but they are now part of the mix... think of the plants also that invade once they are cast out...

What can we do I ask and I doubt if there is anything that can solve this problem really... they have throw a lot of cash at getting rid of the rabbit but they are still there...

I forgot to mention the water buffalo up North..

There is one thing which could work... a bounty as when ever humans see a profit they are prepared to drive that species to extinction...

I bet if you could get $20 for a cane toad they would last about 5 years...
I think we should not be so hard on the ferals however when we can see tracts of land cleared cleared by greedy humans to be replaced with mono cultures that will not support the native species that once lived there... up home as I said there is no problem with ferals as there is plenty of turf and it is tuff to get by irrespective of being a local or an import there is enough room for all it seems but where it is desert like well one cat or one dog or one rabbit, horse or whatever will have an enormous impact..

I dont know but one thing is for sure it is humans that have created the problems with ferals and they wont do zip to really fix it...

I wonder what the planet will be like in say another 500 years at the current rate of land clearing, species extinctions and lack of care on our part... I dont think there are any bears left in the UK and they were once a native there..and wolves they are gone alsoI think... it was not the Lions the Rome let go when they left that took them out... those animals were hunted by humans.

Sadly on this planet extinction is the rule not the exception... that is the fact we who are confined to a small part of history can not comprehend... and when you look back thru history you find the percentage of extinction is (from hazy recollection) some 95% or greater.. so that leaves me to think everything is the way it is ..a sad reality that can be laid at our feet in this age..however when humans were not the main players extinctions still happened... it is sad to think we lose so many aniamls each year the curent extinction rate is unbelievable I can not recall it but maybe someone can tell us how many species disappear for good each year...

I think I will spend the rest of the day wringing my hands.

alex

Glenhuon
21-01-2008, 09:00 PM
[quote=Night Owl;289100]
Maybe we should make it compulsory for cat owners to also own a Cane Toad?:lol:

Why won't cat lovers stick up for Cane Toads and the environmental damage they do? I know why, because cane Toads aren't 'cute and cudly', and nobody wants one sitting on their lap, let alone to pat it! :lol:

I dunno, this cane toad doesn't look too bad :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ENUqV5-bw

omnivorr
21-01-2008, 11:11 PM
yes:rolleyes: I see you're location is Ararat. 'nuff said.

Plenty of dark skies out your way?:)

(PS Hi Alex, thanks for your kind words. I'd been too long without sleep at the time.. I was going to remove my post, but now I'll leave it :)

Dujon
23-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Likewise, 'Nettie. I purchase a little ginger kitten umpteen years ago for 50c at a local pet store. Within a year or three two other ginger cats 'adopted' our family. They were made welcome. One of them was a 'feral' - but only because he'd been dumped - and turned up on our back balcony one evening literally starving; his back legs didn't work. How on Earth he managed the 12 steps I don't know. He stayed with us for a few years but then simply disappeared. Despite myself, my wife and my children scouring the neighborhood we didn't find the poor sod. The other adopted was an absolutely gorgeous British Shorthair (I think) - he was a really, really handsome cat.

The original female passed away at about 17 years of age and the adopted BSH at about the same age just a few months later. That left a huge hole in our family. My daughter (bless her little cotton socks) purchased a couple of young felines - both ginger - from a council pound close to where she works and presented them to us. The one which recently succumbed to cancer was one of those.

Her name? Tilly.

*edit*

Yes, all of them were de-sexed - either before or after joining us.

skairey
25-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks jjjnettie, I loved it.

As for the men battling it out for top dog (or cat as the case my be), thanks for turning jjj's lovely ditty into a bun fight of killing and destruction.
The biggest killers of wild life is MAN, and you are just proving the point with your neanderthal chest beating.

Thanks for the light hearted and lovely post jjjnettie

JimmyH155
25-01-2008, 01:53 PM
The only disagreements I have had between myself and the wife in 14 years is the **@# cat. :(First of all she used to belt out kittens like crazy, and it was me who had to drown them (AWFUL job) Then I have taken her down to the RSPCA twice to be put down, and twice, the wife found out and snuck off and rescued her (at great expense) . Then once I grabbed her and thought "Aha got you, now you'ses going into the pool" What happens?? She struggled so much that I let go and had to have my lacerations attended to. :lol:
Now? at 15 years old she just sits on top of the 2 metre high fence and glares at me when I come in from work as if to say "You just touch me and you're going to be sorry"
The 14 year old deaf and smelly dog, on the other hand always wags her tail at me. :D

Ric
25-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Well, if you tried to drown me I too would shred you and not speak to you either.

Long live the cats:thumbsup:

cheers :)