PDA

View Full Version here: : PixInsight value

Spidy
16-12-2020, 03:37 PM
Would like to get opinions on whether Pixinsight is worth the money if you shoot with a OSC camera? Deciding between it an Astro Pixel Processor.

ChrisV
16-12-2020, 05:00 PM
Thats all I've got to shoot with - an OSC camera (although sometimes with a dual band filter)
Thats all I process with - pixinsight, but have used startools previously

Highly recommend PI. Can't comment on APP. Don't forget startools - excellent and very reasonably priced

If you go with PI, I would say try before you buy - but make sure you have plenty (I mean a hell of a lot) of time set aside to learn.

Spidy
16-12-2020, 05:32 PM
Yeah, that's what I've heard also. Thanks for the input Chris.

RugbyRene
22-12-2020, 11:08 AM
I've used both Startools and PI.

Both have pluses and minuses. ST is in-expensive & will do a decent job on your images. PI is more expensive, more daunting (until you get used to the workflow) but is the gold standard. I've processed an image using both & had better results with PI. That might say more about my ST processing skills than anything else.

Rene

Spidy
22-12-2020, 11:31 AM
Thanks Rene. I'm evaluating PI ATM. I'm leaning towards it more and more.

My philosophy is if I have to learn a piece of software anyway, might as well learn the de facto standard.

RugbyRene
22-12-2020, 12:07 PM
There's loads of tutorials on YouTube. You might want to watch the videos by Shawn Nielsen at Visible Dark Astro.

Also there's a good tutorial by Kayron Mercieca at https://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorials.html

Rene

Spidy
22-12-2020, 12:16 PM
Thanks again. I'll definitely be checking them out.