View Single Post
Old 29-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Dennis
I have now used my 40D twice since it has arrived so have similar experience to you. I am also from a background of a 0401E chip (an audine version not the SBIG) and agree about the amazing fast downloads.
I haven't bothered using the mirror lock up at all and only used the remote live view for focusing. Do you get lots of shake?
I just set the camera to manual on the dial and all other settings like bulb etc from the EOS utility.
I found taking darks, offsets and flats pretty easy and the flow was fine.
Flats are so much easier than I am use to. Just a T shirt over the front, aim at a light on in my office and let the camera choose the exposure time. They were short enough to not bother with darks.
For processing I have always used Iris and the flow is similar, just the actual steps are a bit different. I used this plan:
http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/iris/roadmap/help2_us.htm

The size of files produced is amazing compared to the ST7 size CCD. After processing the image I posted in this thread and deleting all the intermediate files I had about 2 gig on the recycle bin.
I agree the camera seems a winner. Now if this rain would go away I could check it out more.