PDA

View Full Version here: : PixInsight

technofetishism
26-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Can anyone who is a user of PI give me a reason that I shouldn't buy it? From what I can tell with playing around with it is that while its workflow is a little different from PS, it actually feels better once your used to it. (and DBE tool is just love so far)

RickS
26-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Some people don't like the GUI interface but if that doesn't bother you it is a great tool for astronomical image processing. The documentation is a bit sparse but there are a bunch of decent free video tutorials (e.g. http://www.harrysastroshed.com/pixinsighthome.html) and one paid tutorial under development (http://www.ip4ap.com/pixinsight.htm)

It's definitely my preferred processing environment.

Cheers,
Rick.

h0ughy
26-10-2012, 11:23 PM
well you just answered your own question. i bought it

technofetishism
26-10-2012, 11:50 PM
I wish some of the GUI functionality was copied in some other programs Ive used.

Poita
27-10-2012, 07:49 AM
If you don't mind the UI, then definitely buy it. It is the most powerful thing out there really, just takes a while to wrap your head around the workflow.

troypiggo
27-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Based on your first post, no reason not to buy it.

One thing to consider is the computer you're using it on. 32bit is not going to be supported much longer, so if you're on WinXP and having trouble with the calibration/stacking/pixel rejection routines, that could be an issue.

That being said, I'd still recommend buying it and upgrade the PC :)

cfranks
27-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Another plus is that all upgrades are free. Unlike Maxim's hundreds of $$.
The assistance from the Forum is second to none.

Charles

netwolf
27-10-2012, 10:08 PM
+1 the help from other users and Harry's videos is fantastic. The workflow is easy once you get the hang of it, indeed its the best feature. You can refine, save and reuse workflows. My advise watch the videos and give the trial a go. You will buy it.

technofetishism
27-10-2012, 10:15 PM
well its good to know no one has anything negative to say about it. and there arent any traps that i havent come past yet.

cheers all. :)

Geoff45
29-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Best astroimaging software around. Leaves all the others for dead. And it's not all that hard. Think about the first time you ever saw a photoshop gui. Was is obvious and intuitive as to how to use it?