PDA

View Full Version here: : New laptop, grey diagonal lines

LewisM
04-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Been using the new laptop for about 2 weeks now. All great. Last night I had it out as my camera controller (APT works GREAT by the way!), no problem. Brought it back inside and in the left half of the screen is a series of evenly spaced light grey lines - BARELY noticeable, but I notice them. Left to right, cover about 2/3rd's of the screen, and about the same down. 45° diagonal

Now, the screen has never been damaged, and surely this cannot be burn in already???? (I never let the image stay for any length of time). But it is bugging me! I know it is still under warranty, but to be honest I do not need the down time without it whilst ASUS repairs it.

Any ideas? I have cleaned the screen - it's not dirt :)

Colin_Fraser
04-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Looks like a problem with the graphics card. Id take it back, show them and ask them to replace it.
Being only a couple of weeks old, they may come to the party.

ZeroID
08-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Warranty should cover that. Not sure what the Aussie rules on that are but basic Consumers Guarantee over here would be invoked if the retailer argued. He'll get re-imbursed by the supplier anyway.

Poita
09-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Most likely the graphics chip has failed, usually due to faulty soldering of the chip itself to the board.
You could try a driver update, but I'd put money on it being a hardware failure.
Take it back to the store you bought it from under warranty.
Current laptops do not suffer from burn-in, so don't worry about that as an issue.

-P