PDA

View Full Version here: : Software and Apple Mac

swepie123
19-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Hi everyone. Im looking at buying an LX90 or LX200 shortly.
My main laptop is currently a macbook air. Is there any advice anyone wishes to give me on Apple apps for guiding and imaging?

Omaroo
19-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Hi Michael

If you're using a DSLR, you can get away with a a standard intervalometer, or tether your camera via whatever software it came with from the manufacturer, Lightroom, Aperture or whatever. You could also use Nebulosity from Stark - and integrate it with PHD.

Guiding - if you intend to use a SSAG/QHY-type guide camera and a Mac, best advice is to buy an Orion Star Shoot as it supports OSX whereas the QHY5 does not - even though they are mechanically nearly identical.

PHD works well on the Mac - I use it on my 11" MacBook Air too.

2stroke
19-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Well if there the same you could try editing the plist and add the device address :) Lol hackintosh here. A google may help you out :)

troypiggo
19-08-2012, 08:21 PM
In addition to Chris' advice above, you might look into http://hulse.id.au/eqmac/ for scope control. Haven't used it personally, but it appears promising.

Pretty sure Astroplanner can control LX200 mounts native in Mac.

Personally, I use a MacBook Pro, but run all image capture and guiding software in a WinXP virtual machine using VMWare Fusion. The availability of astro software Win-based is far greater than Mac. I use PixInsight in OSX for processing.

Omaroo
21-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Firmware is completely different. The question of OSX support on the QHY forum has been routinely ignored. It'd have been done by now if it were easy.

CDKPhil
31-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi Michael

I am using Equinox Image for guiding, It has a very nice interface and very easy to use. I think it is only written for Sbig cameras, I am using an STi.

There are few glitches with it, it likes to hang every now an then. Force quitting does not help much, you need to restart to get it to operate properly. This is a bit of a pain.

It supports a two camera set up, guide and image with the same program. Also it has a function for differential deflection, guiding, focus control for various brands of focusers, FWHM focusing, sequence generator, drift trend, and a lot of other stuff.

Having this App means I can do every thing on a Mac with out having to cross to the dark side.

It cost around $50 US. Money well spent . You can get it free if you buy an Sbig camera. I found that out after I paid for it.:screwy:

Cheers

Phil