PDA

View Full Version here: : USB Server rather than USB Hub ????

Nico13
30-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Anyone using a USB Server with Ethernet LAN cable back their laptop rather than a Powered USB Hub to connect to their mount and camera gear etc?
I'm considering this as my four port USB Hub can be a bit temperamental when powering up with it not finding all the ports.
I find I have to power up with one USB device disconnected at least and then be a bit selective as to how I start software to drive it all.
A bit messy really so has anyone had experience with a server type setup, looks the same as USB connected one but just uses a LAN cable instead?

DavidTrap
30-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Have you found one that connects at true USB 2 speeds?

The only ones I have seen previously were USB 1.1 - that was a while ago, so speeds may have improved.

DT

Nico13
30-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Hi David,
Just Google'd for a look and you see a lot saying they are USB 2, I have no experience with them really, I guess that's why I posted the question. :question:

Moon
30-07-2012, 11:15 PM
What is the distance from the mount to the PC?
Have you considered a mount hubpro?
What gear do you need to control?
James

mithrandir
30-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Most USB2 extenders are really full speed USB1 and are good for 12MB/sec.
Lindy have a USB2 full speed one (https://www.lindy.com.au/online/arrshop.exe?af=570&as=42632&az=1&ai=2491710) (480Mb/sec). Not exactly cheap but not totally over the top.
To get that speed any extender needs gigabit cable (Cat5e or Cat6) and a gigabit port in the PC. If you want to run it through a switch that has to be gigabit too.

pmrid
31-07-2012, 03:18 AM
I had a brief flirtation with these but dropped it because they did not seem to function with devices like my imaging and guiding cameras. It was fin with stuff not making big power or throughput demands though.
Peter

Nico13
31-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Hi James,
Up to about ten metres I guess and the control list is

Mount (NEQ6 Pro) using TheSky6
GPUSB with PHD
TouCam USB
Pentax DSLR USB to PKTether

So at this stage just the four items. In hind sight I guess Mount hubpro would have been a good option as it has dew control as well I think but I have just built a four chanel dew control unit so yeh would have been the way to go probably.
Could alway sell my dew control unit off and go that way, not sure yet. :question:

DavidTrap
31-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Have a look at the Lindy 8 & 12 metre USB cables - I have 20 metres in total of these cables working through a powered USB hub.

These work at true USB 2 speeds.

Have a look at this thread - LINK (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=75934&highlight=usb)

DT

Nico13
31-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks DT,
Lots of great info here so this gives me a number of alternatives to move to if after I give my current Belkin USB Powered Hub and ext leads a bit more of a chance to prove itself or otherwise as so far I've only been doing dummy runs inside due to the lovely weather I've been having.
If it proves to be too much of problem with port connections as mentioned at the start of this thread then I've got somewhere to go from here.

Thanks everyone for your input. :thumbsup: