PDA

View Full Version here: : Is there a way to check what updates are being downloaded?

[1ponders]
03-07-2012, 10:28 AM
I like to monitor what downloads from all programs are downloaded and installed. I only have 2 gig a month peaktime and in the last 3 days I've used 12% of my monthly allowance of data and I've done no manual updates. Windoze updates is set to only tell me when there are updates and I download the ones I want. When I turned on this morning there was a update done at 9 that I have no idea what it was. ( I used a download monitor on my taskbar). The other night I noticed that something was being downloaded (i use a webgateway monitor regularly to monitor my Skymesh activitiy to keep records of its pathetic performance) and still have no idea what it was.

It isn't coming from someone accessing my network and downloading stuff, I know that, so my question is: Can I check somehow what has been specifically downloaded over the past few days?

erick
03-07-2012, 10:43 AM
really crude, but search your disks for all new files, to see what that tells you? maybe first thing in the morning after you leave it on and connected overnight?

michaellxv
03-07-2012, 10:46 AM
You could try looking in Event viewer (find it in Control Panel), although others will have to tell you what to look for in there.

A number of the major software vendors have their own auto update process so it may pay to check what other auto updates may be going on. Adobe, Apple, Java, your Browser of choice, AV software etc

[1ponders]
03-07-2012, 10:50 AM
I'll check it out Michael and see if I can work it out from there. I've started checking software but I'm finding it really challenging with some of them to actually find where to turn off auto updates.

michaellxv
03-07-2012, 10:52 AM
And they have a sneaky way of turning themselves back on after each update. Watch ALL the check boxes, they very kindly tick the auto update one for you and surround it with lots of text so you miss it.

erick
03-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Yes, I notice one of mine has introduced check boxes with the automatic one checked. I think it is Adobe Reader update. Have to reset to notify only each time.

chrisp9au
03-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Hi Paul,

If it's Windows (7) that's updating then you can view the updates that have been installed.

Control Panel/System and Security/Action Center/Windows Update/Installed Updates

This gives you a list of all updates installed and the date that they were done.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Chris

[1ponders]
03-07-2012, 12:27 PM
fixed that little sucker, thanks Erick, that's 1 ;)

Thanks for that Chris. :)Well it wasn't Adobe, last update was on the 21/4 and the last Windoze update was 21/6/2012. The hunt continues ;)

Colin_Fraser
03-07-2012, 03:25 PM
You can also turn off the services that update software. You can get a list of what programs do this by running Services.msc.

silv
03-07-2012, 04:23 PM
to find out who accessed/downloaded from the internet in the past:
dunno. search for files modified between 6pm and 6am?

to see who it is while it is actually happening might be useful, too?
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/how-do-i-find-out-what-programs-are-accessing-my/d9ca78ed-a86e-45e2-bf6f-9841a072ec10

real firewall software could also have a feature to track statistics of network traffic and causing processes. (from the moment onwards you activate that feature)

or check your router: maybe it has a logging feature that lets you trace back to the process name which triggered the internet access.
(from the moment onwards you activate that feature)

I used to run "Netlimiter 2" on Windows. Freeware up to Vista. Unfortunately, a license for Windows7 costs 30 US$.

From my Windows days I also remember that there is a setting for Windows Software Update to run the actual download but to wait for install command. Maybe check that you have disabled the hidden download option?

[1ponders]
03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
I like the look of that, Thanks Colin. I'll definitely check that out for future use.

I think I may have found the culprit though. AVG. When I opened it today it was a whole new interface! and then I rechecked my download usage via my ISP meter page and there was 263mb download on the night of the first/second, and this mornings was an update to that update. Grrrr. I've sorted its little red wagon out now. :mad2:

[1ponders]
03-07-2012, 05:30 PM
That's usually the first thing I check when I install anything that requires updates. ;) Been caught once or twice before. But I'd must have missed AVG unless as it was mentioned before that the auto-update was turned back on during an update. Sneaky sods.