PDA

View Full Version here: : USB hub

arifmshaikh
22-05-2012, 02:33 PM
I am connecting three USB devices(guide camera, usb filterwheel and gamepad) to the 4-port USB hub(no external power) and experiencing some weird behaviour. After few minutes, some of the usb devices stop working. So do I need USB hub with external power to resolve this or am i connecting too many devices and conflicting each other?

Moon
22-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Arif
I think a powered hub is a good idea. Do yourself a favour and get a good quality one. The last thing you want during an imaging session is a poor fitting connection or some instability.
James

arifmshaikh
22-05-2012, 03:19 PM
James

Thanks for the reply.

I will buy the good quality powered USB hub and a wireless gampad to remove one more usb cable from the setup.

Moon
22-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Another more expensive option is the mount hub pro.
Depending on your setup, it could also be a good option.
James

arifmshaikh
22-05-2012, 04:12 PM
James

What is this mount hub pro?

Moon
22-05-2012, 04:19 PM
This (http://www.hitecastro.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:mount-hub-pro&catid=36:mount-hub-pro&Itemid=54)

troypiggo
22-05-2012, 04:58 PM
The other issue could be length of cables. I think the max recommended length of USB cables is 3m, or is it 5m?

alistairsam
22-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I bought a cheapie powered hub from ebay and could not get the guide camera and main camera to work, so will need to get a proper one.

But I bought a USB extender that works very well.
They use a normal Cat5e network cable to extend USB for upto 150ft. But make sure they mention Hi-Speed USB as some are USB 1.1 and not 2.0. ($15 from ebay)

I'm connecting all USB devices including my EQDIR mount cable to a powered hub (decent one), then use the extender from the Hub to PC so I can sit inside the tent.

if you like DIY, you could add the Dew Heater, USB Hub, Camera Power supplies into one box like Martin's control Box here http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=86909
he has just one Power lead and one USB lead to the control box.
Similar to the Hitec Astro box, but should work out cheaper.
Been thinking of building a similar box. will make wiring so much easier.

arifmshaikh
23-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks Alistair

I just dont want to add extra power supply cable in the setup. What I will try is, buy another 2-3 port usb hub and connect it to another usb port. Connect each power hungry usb devices (camera and filter wheel) on each hub. Let see how it goes.

alistairsam
23-05-2012, 04:09 PM
do you mean you'll connect one camera to one port via a passive hub, and another camera to another port via another passive hub?
not sure why you'd do that as you'd end up with two cables from the mount anyway?
else you could just use 5m USB leads as I believe the USB 2.0 distance limit is 5 metres.

arifmshaikh
23-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Yes, you are right.
I just want to try to see if this works ok for me, otherwise the powered hub is the last option.

floyd_2
23-05-2012, 09:27 PM
I think 5m USB leads are really stretching it. At 5m, it might be a better idea to use a 5m active USB repeater cable. I had a lot of success with these leads in my imaging setup previously.

Dean

alistairsam
23-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Its possible that 5m may not be reliable, I've only used them with webcams and they were good quality cables, but not sure how they'd be with CCD's or dslr's.
That's why I prefer the Cat 5 USB Extender. 150ft is ample, and it doesn't need power and worked with all my devices.