PDA

View Full Version here: : A Possible Cure for Cancer!

ballaratdragons
12-08-2011, 02:28 AM
The results of a 12 month test have been released.

Leukemia patients with only weeks to live were injected and all but one was TOTALLY cancer free in 3 weeks! The other person is 70% cancer free.

Strangely, the research was based around the Aids virus!

They get an Aids infected cell, and alter the HIV & Aids parts and add bits to search & kill cancer cells.
The Aids virus is good at taking over blood cells so the altered virus cells enter the patients blood cells (like it would if it was still an Aids virus) and plays Seek & Destroy!
But this time it seeks and destroys cancerous cells.
The HIV and Aids parts don't work any more, so they can't harm you.

The patients lost on average more than one kilogram of cancer cells each. Gone. Totally eradicated from their bodies! In only 2 weeks. Cured!!!

They say it will work on Leukemia, Lung cancer, Bowel cancer etc etc.

As I find out more about this exciting news I will post it here with links!

supernova1965
12-08-2011, 06:23 AM
WOW I am excited by this can't wait to hear more about this:D:2thumbs:

bojan
12-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Like in SF novel, huh ?
(I 've read one back in '60-ties, about modified virus that cures illness and also rejuvenates - the patient was physically 30 years younger after the treatment. Ben Bova wrote something similar in one of his novels... nanomachines were involved. BTW,what's the difference between nanomachines and artificial viruses? To me, it's almost the same thing..)

Quite plausible, though.
Hopefully, it's not a hoax :shrug:

adman
12-08-2011, 08:48 AM
I have often wondered what is the difference between a real virus and a computer virus - and really, there is not much. They are both methods of transmitting information about how to replicate themselves. The one major difference is that the real virus is able to change its own 'code' by natural selection, whereas the computer virus (mostly) relies on a programmer to do the same.

there are many people who argue that viruses should not be considered 'life' - but are a gray area between alive and not-alive. You could argue the same thing for computer viruses.

but whatever - what a fantastic breakthrough - lets hope it passes all the hurdles to get it out of the lab.

You don't have link to the story do you Ken?

Adam

spacezebra
12-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks Ken for posting.

Having just lost my sister to cancer, I am pleased to see progress in this field. I look forward to the day when a cure for cancer is as simple as taking an aspirin for a headache.

Cheers Petra d.

Terry B
12-08-2011, 09:26 AM
As someone that works in the medical industry I find it surprising that the first time I hear of this marvel is as a post on the astronomy forum.
Somehow I think that there isn't a lot of reality behind the story.

renormalised
12-08-2011, 09:28 AM
This is great news. I only hope it's not another one of these "will take 10 years to come to normal use" and then disappear from sight. Too many promising medical breakthroughs have gone that way. This, if it works as well as it seems, needs to be brought out as soon as possible.

bojan
12-08-2011, 09:28 AM
This only means we are very multi-disciplinary oriented people :thumbsup:
It was also on the morning TV news today (7)

Omaroo
12-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Wow Petra. I'm so sorry to hear this.

Shano592
12-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Terry, what are your thoughts on Vitamin C therapy - where very high doses (up to 200g per day) of Vitamin C are intravenously sent into the body?

It is an illegal procedure in the US (as is growing your own fresh vegetables, in some areas), and I'm not sure about Australia, but I have seen "documentaries" about people who have done it, and the cancers are gone within 12 weeks.

They have all gone down to Ecuador to get the treatment done, as no US registered doctor will perform it.

The modified HIV-type virus is a little worrying. What happens if it's programming starts identifying other cells as cancerous? They should really have a kill code in each one, to terminate it after a set amount of time.

Robh
12-08-2011, 10:04 AM
More here ...
http://penncancer.org/penn_news.cfm?ID=1610

Interesting video at bottom. Research and clinical testing funded purely by academic centre and philanthropy and not pharmaceutical companies.

Regards, Rob.

renormalised
12-08-2011, 10:11 AM
That's good new, Rob. Might mean this is being done for the right reasons and not for power and profit.

Terry B
12-08-2011, 10:29 AM
A few points
Cancer isn't one disease so sweeping statements about a "cure for cancer" is misleading at best and an outright lie at worst.
Almost all cancers are essentially dieseases where our immune system doesn't recognise abnormally growing cells as abnormal and doesn't attack them. Giving mega doses of a vitamin is unlikely to magically kick start the immune system to recognise the diseased cells and "cure" the cancer.
There is a thing called "Evidence Based Medicine". If there is no evidence that a treatment works when compared to placebo or other treaments then it probably shouldn't be used. There is a reason that the treament mentioned isn't used as there is no good evidence that it works.
A definition I heard of "alternate medicine" is that it is a treatment that doesn't work because if it worked it wouldn't be alternate medicine but mainstream treament.

bojan
12-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Very good definition :thumbsup:

Same or similar may be applicable to other "alternative sciences"

jjjnettie
12-08-2011, 11:13 AM
I'll believe it's true when it's offered as treatment in our hospitals.
I'm highly skeptical of ALL professed cures for cancer. Giving false hopes to those with the disease is the height of cruelty.
You would not believe how many snake oil merchants are out there selling their quack cures to the desperate. And they'll produce all sorts of official looking reports and documents to back their claims so you'll purchase their Dandelion Tea, Almond kernels, Homeopathy waters or whatever "cure" they happen to have this week.
As I said to Petra the other day, I'll bet you any amount of money, that if these scum of the earth had the disease, they wouldn't be treating themselves with their own potions. They'd be heading straight for the nearest Hospital for treatment.

jjjnettie
12-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Ha...touched a nerve there didn't it.

bojan
12-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Maybe, but still you are quite right, most of those are the worst scum.
The same may be applicable to media as well .. they feed on news like that, they should know better.

spacezebra
12-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Thank you for your thoughts Chris and thank you to all that emailed me privately.

It was a long hard battle for her, but thankfully now, no more pain. The world has lost a very talented lady.

Regards Petra d.

TrevorW
12-08-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't think I know of anyone who hasn't had someone they know or love affected by cancer in one form or another, it's such an insidious desease, like MS which they are also working towards finding a cure for, let's hope this isn't just another storm in a teacup.

Omaroo
12-08-2011, 12:22 PM
I seem to recall only a few short years ago that the researchers who suddenly announced a preventative cure for cervical cancer were booed and sullied too.

It's now standard practise.

Are we calling this HIV-derived treatment "snake oil" or just the vitamin C claim?

The HIV as cancer therapy research has been going on for some time, and I can find reference to it going back at least six years: http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2005/s1303130.htm

jjjnettie
12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Until I see it being used successfully in the Oncology units in our hospitals, yep, it's all snake oil to me.
I refuse to get my hopes up. It's too cruel if it's not true.

Paul Haese
12-08-2011, 12:52 PM
My sister who has a PHD was involved in this particular program with HIV a few years ago. I spoke to her recently and she said cures for cancer will still be sometime away yet. I will ring her today and see what she says about this. She has been working on skin cancer for years and is the leading expert on Mast cell development and in particular the skin cells on your backside are determinative of whether you get skin cancer or not. Her research and testing methods have been adopted across a fairly wide range of the research programs.

I too would be most skeptical about anything labelled a cure for cancer. Not one cure will cure all patients and all cancers. There will be lots of commonalities that can be applied and techniques that can be used. Ken do you have link for this information?

Omaroo
12-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Nettie - "snake oil" label is possibly a little harsh I think. :) This is purportedly legitimate research - still in the early stages, but nevertheless they're trying. The term "snake oil" is usually used to refer to a sleight of hand - a known fake sold for profit. I don't think that this fits that description.

renormalised
12-08-2011, 01:18 PM
So, if you have dysfunctional arse cells, you're going to catch the heebie jeebies elsewhere:):P:P

cookie8
12-08-2011, 01:18 PM
I can't wait for more info. Nothing worked for my recurred bowel cancer in the last 2 years. Prepare to try anything...

asimov
12-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Looks/sounds promising but I'd hardly call it a 'cure' as yet. We can but hope.

asimov
12-08-2011, 01:28 PM
I think JJJ explained it well enough Chris - it's snake oil 'to her'.

jjjnettie
12-08-2011, 01:43 PM
I feel for you Vincent, I really do. Living with cancer, or living in it's shadow can be hell.

They've found a cure for cancer? great. just don't go shouting about it until it's in the hospital ready to be used.

mithrandir
12-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Petra,

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. It is a terrible way to go.

I lost a sister to melanoma about 2 years ago. My brother's wife (age 37 with 2 children under 6) has been given a couple of months to live. It's an unusual cancer and none of the treatments they have tried have done any good. SWMBO's father (88) has been just diagnosed and given about the same time, since his other health issues make treatment impossible.

Andrew

Octane
12-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Petra,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

H

Poita
12-08-2011, 03:10 PM
I've had cancer twice, and become skeptical of 'cures' to say the least, but I will read up on this with interest.

As for vitamin c therapy, it is a bunk, I tried it, my lymphoma got much worse and thankfully I had the sense to get chemo and radiotherapy in time.

Second time around I had immunotherapy as well, which so far has done the job.

I'm open to new research on cancer treatment, but can't tell you how many times over the last ten years people have called me up excited about the latest cure...

Aster
12-08-2011, 03:34 PM
WOW, must ask my Oncologist if that is the real thing, like the other 101 cancer cures announced over the last few years, and if that will cure me.....Give me a break

There may well be a cure in time to come but, until my surgeon, oncologist or doctor suggests to me that that may be worth a try I will just agree with "SnakeOil"

ballaratdragons
12-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Hey Terry, I can't help it if I was watching TV when the announcement was made to everyone.
I'm sure someone in a Frog Breeders forum also posted the news too. It was given to the general public at the same time as the Medical world.

Rob has already given the link.
Here is the link he gave

To others.

Please don't jump down my throat!
I just posted what was announced.
I didn't say it is 100% foolproof. Neither did they.
Some of the posts are worded as if I am a liar!!!

Don't shoot the messenger. Sheesh.
I just thought I would share what I heard.

Your welcome :rolleyes:

Omaroo
12-08-2011, 04:07 PM
I agree Ken. I think that calling valid research "snake oil" is, at worst, a bit disrespectful. If researchers didn't keep trying to come up with new approaches we'll all just go nowhere. I know a couple and they work their proverbial arses off to try and find solutions to medical ailments. This HIV approach may not work yet - or maybe it does - but dismissing it as "snake oil"? :shrug:

I understand how emotive this can be - I may even have it myself - but dismissing research as "bunk" until it's available is not the way to go.

Terry B
12-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Dear Ken.
Sorry I offended a bit. It wasn't intended. I hope some good comes of it. It is just the global phrase "cure for cancer" that I find difficult when ther is no one disease called cancer.

Paul Haese
12-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks Ken, I will run it past my sister and see what her take is, that is if I can get her to answer the phone (busy saving the world) and if I can understand what the hell she is saying once I get her to answer.

spacezebra
12-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Thank you Andrew and H for your thoughts.

I lost her to Bone Cancer 18 days ago and right up until her last days in Palliative care, her naturopath was telling her that he could cure her. I will never understand how someone could do this to another person - by offering such false hope.

Petra d.

ballaratdragons
12-08-2011, 09:47 PM
My condolences, Petra.

This thread would be a touchy subject for you and many others.

I do not have cancer myself (well, I hope not) but my excitement at the news report almost had me in tears with excitement for all those that do.

They probably shouldn't sprout the name 'Cure for Cancer' unless that is exactly what it is.
Maybe they could at this stage say 'A positive stage in Leukemia treatment', but I was just passing on the excitement of the Researcher making the announcement when he stated that they "have a cure for Cancer".

I really wish they do have the cure. The Scientist was reeling off all sorts of cancers that they claim this method eradicates.
And he wasn't a sensationalist. He was a mild-mannered but excited Scientist sharing his enthusiasm with the world now that he has been allowed to do so. He has probably been busting to let people know but couldn't. That's how he came across.

For the sake of sufferers and the family and friends of sufferers, I really hope this is the breakthrough they are claiming it to be.

Do a search. It should be all over the internet by now as the news was released about 48 hours ago.

I apologise if I angered anyone with what they believe to be yet 'another' false hope. That was not my intention. I was just relaying the news as I heard it.

I shall also change the thread title to 'A possible . . .'

Jen
12-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Petra ((((HUGS))))

Hope there is a cure one day very soon (sounds good) on paper :)

ballaratdragons
12-08-2011, 10:55 PM
It's gone beyond 'on Paper', Jen. That's why the announcement.
2 of the 3 test subjects are now totally free of cancer. The 3rd is 70% free.

The real test (and hope) is if it can be repeated and that it works for everyone.

Also another amazing discovery is that it appears that the Search & Destroy cells last for life, not die off soon after they do their job as they did using previous methods.

jjjnettie
13-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Ken, it's not you we're cranky at. I need you to understand that.

It's the disease and the people who push these damn crank cures.
I sincerely hope that this cure is for real. But I can't get excited by it yet.

Chris, I'm a volunteer with cancer research, on the clinical level as well as in genetic research. More blood tests, more needles, but it's worth it, to help others down the track.

ballaratdragons
13-08-2011, 01:21 AM
:thumbsup: all's cool jj.

At least these aren't some Mystical Mountain Messiahs spurting some Cancer healing property of their Yak Poo tonic or some such thing.

Did you watch the video in the link?
They seem pretty convinced.
Yes, let's hope :)

Omaroo
13-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Absolutely Nettie - you're a champ. Society needs more like you, so it's all the more important to think of active and on-going research as far more than a means for dodgy few to peddle reptilian fluids.

jjjnettie
13-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Sorry about being so grumpy about this.
It was a bad day yesterday.

Omaroo
13-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Still luv ya. :thumbsup:

Kal
13-08-2011, 11:27 AM
I remember reading an article about research where they were looking at genetically modifying the polio virus to attack cancerous cells a couple of years ago and thinking that we will have a cure for cancer within a decade or two, and this piece of news is 'a step forward in the right direction' as far as I see it.

It is only a small case study of 3 people with one specific type of cancer, and without long term observation it isn't exactly ready for release today, but it is a step forward and I am more certain than ever that I will see a cure for cancer in my lifetime

:)

marki
13-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Very interesting thread Ken. When I studied this stuff at uni I always thought there would have to be a way to use vectors to mark the cancer cells as foreign thus alerting the immune cells to get in there and do their job. Using a vector to reprogram the T cells themselves is an even better solution and a very clever one at that. It can't be far away now but without the backing of a major drug company it will take years to get this technology into mainstream medicine, it just costs so much to get it through all the red tape. Sure it might not be the "cure" for all types of cancer in all individuals but it is certainly a step in the right direction and could be a much better option then some of the current chemo stratergies being used.

Mark

multiweb
13-08-2011, 12:59 PM
I understand the annoyance about false hope but wouldn't that be wonderful if it was true and they're making some real progress. Interesting article. Any breakthrough is good right? It's a step in the right direction.

Aster
13-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Ken,

My post was not directed at you, it was just in general to all the media, articles re cancer cure.

Every other week there is another great first Australian World first discovery of a cancer cure. Then when you read further it might be possible and medical tests could start in another 5-10 years.

Why not wait until the cure works and is available in every hospital before announcing another possible cancer cure.

That's why my comment "give me a break"

After 3 major ops and around 400 hours of chemo I too would love to get a cure but, I also know that there is no such thing as a miracle, doesn't matter how they dress it up.

Really it is just another sickness, at present without a cure, but still only a sickness and treated in most hospitals as such.

No sympathy required by me. I know it will get me sooner or later but then I might get run over by a bloody logging truck crossing the road tomorrow. There are millions of people a damn side worse of as us cancer patient in the modern western world.

For the present, or until there is a miracle, I live my life as normal as possible. Enjoy my Astronomy even though the weather has been s..t, or freezing cold.Play Golf, go Surf fishing etc. On my off days, of which there are quite a few, as other sufferers would know, I hibernate. You all know the saying "Life is not mend to be easy" :)

marki
13-08-2011, 02:08 PM
We have seen many possible cures for cancer advertised in recent years and for some especially those suffering from this horrible disease it can be seen as false hope. Research groups always advertise well before it is available (takes many years to get it through sometimes) as they must get funding or the project will fade away. We are seeing some of those advertised ten years ago now moving into mainstream medicine. Funding for medical research is pretty poor in this and many countries and many foundations including the telethone foundation provide funding based on merit. Simply put you must provide positive results and get it out there or put it on the shelf to die a sad death due to lack of funds. Don't lose heart or be over critical of these research teams, they are doing their best to find an answer to a growing problem based on proper medical research. Be wary of those who tell you peanuts will do the trick based on a kitchen table conversation with Aunty Madge with absolutely no scientific rigor involved for these are the crackpot cures. If you really want to help donate money as our "fearless leaders" have found better ways to spend our tax dollars.

Mark

Paul Haese
13-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Just got off the phone to my sister. She was saying she had heard of this but the data at this stage is not a large enough section of the population, and it is only one type of leukemia; not all types (apparently there are several types).

The bottom line though, she said she doubted this would be an overall cure but she would no doubt hear about this at the next conference she attended. So stay tuned. It could be years before we hear about this again. Clinical trials will be the real test.

jjjnettie
14-08-2011, 11:09 AM
I thought I'd share the latest Snake Oil spam to hit my inbox. I received it last month.
This is just the highlights.
Can you believe that he's insinuating that by using his product, you can stop your chemo treatment!!!

As a result of the cancer returning, she was scared into doing the chemotherapy treatment again by her oncologist, only to see her blood test results continue to worsen. When she saw that the negative results from chemotherapy on her body, she then decided it was time to get serious with her health and what she consumed, what she put on her body and what she supplemented with. She changed her household to safe and effective products including nutritional and wholistic supplements. Her blood test results then improved a little.
Then she decided to stop the chemotherapy treatment but continued using the safe and effective products and supplements, because they made her feel great, and within one week her blood test results were back to a normal level and have remained normal ever since. She has "wowed" the doctors again with her remarkable recovery from a previously bleak prognosis.
I get so passionate about helping people like her to rid their bodies of these dreadful diseases and where possible to help people to avoid getting these dreadful diseases in the first place. After all an "ounce of prevention, is worth more than a pound of cure".

I firmly believe that the fantastic results helping people I continue to achieve, are because these products are the safest and most effective products in the world and they really work.

"Neways is doing what no other company in the world is doing. Soon the tide of public awareness will tilt in favour of safer alternatives. This is what Neways is about."

Dr Samuel Epstein M.D. Founder & Chairman of Cancer Prevention Coalition, USA.
(1998 Right Livelihood Award ) The Alternative Nobel Prize Winner

"As a result of my company's investigation (Credence), like Dr Samuel Epstein, I do not hesitate to recommend Neways carcinogen free personal care and nutritional supplements to all who are looking to make a change for the better"
Phillip Day - UK Cancer Researcher & Speaker

How I Can Help You ...
I would like to help you and your family by introducing you to the company that has helped me and so many others over the 24 years. The company is called Neways International and they have a worldwide mission to "Enhance the Health, Wealth, and Well Being of people around the world by helping one person at a time, one family at a time and one household at a time". They have been recognised as being the largest healthy homes company in the world today. Neways is a product rather than sales driven company that formulates, manufactures and distributes their own products and is headquartered in Utah (USA).

I'll let you know that although there is also a business opportunity to sell Neways products, my main interest is in helping you and your family with your health and wellness, and to purchase these products for exactly the same price as what I get them for (i.e. at the wholesale price which is 30% less than retail price).

It goes on to give the fellows phone number on the Gold Coast.

supernova1965
14-08-2011, 11:32 AM
This is Horrible should be kicked of the net for peddling this fear

bojan
14-08-2011, 11:34 AM
This guy should be sent to jail.

jjjnettie
14-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Hey, I can guarantee that most anyone who has had this disease has had people they know come to them suggesting alternate treatments.
Oh ...so and so has this cancer, took this stuff and got better....heres a phone number or a business card.
Some think that they are genuinely helping, but most are just putting their hands out for the cash.

CraigS
14-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Not quite about cancer, but this air-head (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGW4a96GqGc) has an extraordinary amount of media exposure in the US, and has a large following as a result. Jenny McCarthy is a major campaigner for the belief that childhood vaccinations cause Autism.

The James Randi Educational Foundation, (JREF), awarded her the 'Pigasus Award' in 2008, (granted for contributions to pseudoscience), for the "Performer Who Has Fooled The Greatest Number of People with The Least Amount of Effort".

People like this are a menace to society .. and to kids.

jjjnettie
14-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Stupid bimbo has the blood of children and adults on her hands because of her ignorance.

Aster
14-08-2011, 02:45 PM
That might be so Mark, and one doesn't take much notice of all that 'Cancer Cure' stuff if one has accepted ones illness. I would like to know the percentage of cancer patients who have not and can not.

Every time such people see, hear or read articles on a new 'Cancer Cure' they are on to their doctors and asking to be given that new medication, only to have the chair pulled out from beneath them, finishing up in hospital or on tranquilizers.

Believe me, it's true.....Tell you a little story....also true.
I am an optimist, like to crack a joke doesn't matter how dire the circumstances.

On my first chemo session I learned my lesson never to ask or say anything in a normal voice, speak veryvery quiet so the person in the next chair cant hear you.
I did ask the chemo nurse what kind poison they serve here, only to be glared at by all other patients, not a grin or smile on any face, accept the nurses. Had to ask the chemo nurse to please put me on at another day with people you can have a joke with. Which she did. I was told later by the nurses that the majority of patients can never accept that they have cancer. It's the WORD Cancer, as most will loose the plot as soon as they hear the word, no, they will tell you that you have a tumour.
Just about the same thing but a different word.

In all my time in hospital or doctors only my own doctor told me I had Cancer everyone else used the word Tumour.

spacezebra
14-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Hey, I wonder if it is the same Naturopath that my sister was under - he is also on the Gold Coast.......

Cheers Petra d.

marki
14-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Alexander, my sister had leukemia, my mother has bone and lung cancer which was initially caused by breast cancer. My best mate died of a brain tumour and my uncle of lung cancer. My sister has been in remission for 35years (she got it young and the massive dose of chemo and radiotherapy given back then worked). My mother continues to battle but the sheer number of cancers on every bone in her body will eventually grind her down even if the chemo has stunted the lung cancer. After several operations and chemo sessions both my uncle and mate accepted their fate and refused further medical intervention preferring to die rather then go on. I have not suffered from cancer myself but do have some idea of the trauma cancer patients and their families go through. The problem is the system is setup in such a way that researchers must report any success no matter how small if they hope to obtain funding. Without this they cannot go on and a real cure would never be found. It is horrible that this gives people suffering the from the disease false hope but maybe one day in the not too distant future there really will be one.

Mark

jjjnettie
14-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Here is the first part of his email.

i hope this helps you..?
Hello Fellow Health Searcher,
Please let me introduce myself, my name is Craig Griffiths and I live in the Gold Coast in Australia. I am a 41 year old karate instructor and a family man of 3 beautiful children. I am VERY passionate about my health and helping others to improve theirs. If your health is in your top 3 values then this letter is definitely for you.
The reason I am writing to you, is because of your Youtube message, and I believe I have been blessed with a gift to help people with their health.
I have been sickened and saddened by the dramatic increase of people suffering from cancer all over the world. For example:

M54
14-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Very sorry to hear that news Petra. Condolences to you and your family.

Molly.

Exfso
15-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Having had a tongue tumour removed 14months ago and gone through the radiation (lucky I did not have to have chemo), for some reason I have been perusing these so called cure all remedies that seem to be raising there collective ugly heads. The majority of the claims at least on the surface seem to be possible, but when you dig deeper, you always find that money is involved, ie your money. So I tend to steer well clear of any of these so called remedies. However, one does come to mind which appears to have a reasonable degree of success. This clinic was on Current Affair a couple of years ago. They use what is called radiowave therapy and the guy that started it is now retired, but his business lives on in Perth. http://www.radiowaveclinic.com/page.php?section=85
I spoke to a lady a couple of weeks ago who had the same type of tumour as mine and she attended this clinic. I think from memory that she paid out around $5k ( a lot more expensive now!) and after 5 yrs is cancer free and still has all her taste buds in tact as well as normal saliva function which I do not. Bloody radiation, dont start me on it, but without it I may well not be here now. Early stages for me however as it can still come back, 5 years seems to be the point where one is officially in remission.

desler
15-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Wow, Touchy subject indeed.

I'm no Doctor, no scientist or anything else, I'm a little old school when it come to dealing with snake oil sellers and promoters. A quick and painful solution works best in my opinion. However. Testing, advancing the understanding and experimenting of new cures / technologies should not be hidden in a back room somewhere.

There are young, keen and bold people working everyday for the betterment of us all. I'd like to see more articles in the paper about that!

I lost my Father to cancer in April 2009, unfortunately his, was inoperable, but I got to look after him for the last 7 or so weeks of his life. I'd give almost anything to have a few more days with him, but not so.

Would have I tried all the snake oil treatments to extend his suffering, probably not! The Doctors, although caring and understanding made an appropriate diagnosis early on and we just had to accept certain things and get on with it. I know this might sound crazy, but those last 7 weeks were some of the best that we'd ever had together and I miss him greatly.

Will the Hiv experimentation be the cure all, who knows? If it one day, saves one family from experiencing a terrible loss, then great!

As for the suffering and loss that successful treatment can bring on. I must be a little selfish, because I want those who I care about in my life to stay with me on the journey, even if, I only see them twice a year at astro camp!

Too all those that have lost someone recently to this terrible disease, I offer my sincere sympathies.

Darren

danielsun
15-08-2011, 01:02 AM
Ken I also heard this news on the radio the other day and it always makes my ears prick up to the news of any chance of a cure. Even though it is very early, any promising sign to fight this is a step forward just knowing that they are constantly working on a cure or better treatment is all good. We also just had a loss in the family of my wife's Aunt to stomach cancer just last week. It seems to be getting more widespread for me hearing many people I know being diagnosed with this terrible disease of some sort including some here on this forum.
I can't wait for the day when they do ultimately announce they have a cure.

My condolences and thoughts to you Petra, Darren and to all who have been touched by cancer.

Daniel.

spacezebra
15-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Thank you Daniel and Molly.

Cheers Petra d.