PDA

View Full Version here: : Stopping Adobe CS3 bad pixel and noise repair

wasyoungonce
10-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Gents...is there a method to stop Adobe CS3 automatically fixing bad pixels and noise when opening files (aka CR2s)?

I open my dark file CR2s and CS3 keeps detecting and repairing bad pixels/noise when I want don't want this.

I'm trying to do the above so I can save files as TIFFs or PNGs so I can then analyze sensor noise, std deviation etc in imagJ. I cannot open CR2s with imageJ (http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/index.html), they have to be TIFFs, PNGs or FITs.

I'm doing all this as I have built a DSLR cooler box and wanted to quantify the best temperature to run it at....aka find lowest sensor noise given sensor temperature.

Thanks in advance.

wasyoungonce
12-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Meh....too hard this way and I should have realised.

Using Fitsworks (http://astrotips.com/Downloads-index-req-viewdownloaddetails-lid-523-ttitle-Fitswork.phtml) to make dark files from cr2 to Fits then analyse in ImageJ.

Fitsworks and ImageJ are damn fine bits of kit.

Octane
13-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Brendan,

Canon's mighty Digital Photo Professional is the software that comes with your camera to open RAW files. Why aren't you using that?

The garbage you're seeing in Adobe Camera RAW is Adobe trying to reverse engineer the Canon RAW specification. Along with botching the colours, it's also going ahead and trying to rectify defects in the image.

Canon's DPP is the /only/ true Canon RAW format converter, as far as I'm concerned. Everything else is a hack.

H

wasyoungonce
13-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi H.

I've been "house sitting" and have been so do not have access to my DPP. I was looking for a method to convert CR2s to TIFF or FITs so I can do some noise pixel std deviation tests on the sensor at different temps in imageJ. I built a DSLR cooler box an wanted to find optimum cooling point Vs sensor noise.

I knew camera RAWs were proprietary and they differ between mfgrs but didn't know Adobe was that bad...although it must use pretty strong techniques for bad pixel repair (probably built in their RAW converter).

I'll be home late tomorrow and try DPP. AT the moment using Fitsworks which uses DCRAW conversion.

Normally I don't bring CR2s straight to Adobe. I usually use DSS to make TIFFs but it has a pixel repair as well.

Thanks for the info re: DPP...I'll be looking at that way more closely now.

Brendan