PDA

View Full Version here: : Using an Iphone as a laptop modem

gregbradley
11-05-2011, 07:33 AM
I am wondering if there is an app you can buy that turns the iphone into a mobile modem for your laptop?

Greg.

acropolite
11-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Greg,
There is a already facility in the iPhone called tethering with the latest software release (release 4.x), no software required.
Unfortunately the 3GS models only get bluetooth tethering and I think USB tethering, the iPhone 4 has wi-fi tethering as well. This is a result of apples marketing strategy rather than a physical limitation, there are utilities available that will allow wi-fi tethering on 3G models if you jailbreak (i.e.hack the OS on) your phone. If your iPhone is a 3G model with old software its not that painful to update the software.

Unless you have areasonable data plan I wouldn't bother, you're far better off buying a 3G USB dongle and associated plan.

Tiotion
11-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Hi Greg,
The process of using your iphone as a modem is known as tethering and is fairly simple to do for idevices using iOS 4. To enable, go to Settings, General, Network and you'll see Personal Hotspot. Follow commands on screen and you can set it up; no app required.

Sorry i cannot be more specific but i have not done this for myself, If you get stuck, im sure you can find a tutorial online for iphone tethering. Just make sure the tutorial is fairly recent as this was a feature that generally needed you to jailbreak your phone. Some carriers also charged additional fees for the service...even though they arn't providing anything different to what they currently are.

Dont worry though; if you have an iPhone using iOS 4 it is natively supported and as far as i know, no telcos charge for it anymore.

Good luck!
Jack

Omaroo
11-05-2011, 08:14 AM
If you have an iPhone 4 Greg - your prayers are answered: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=72573

It's here now - and I've tried Personal Hotspot at home and it works brilliantly. It will in the field as well. Tethering is old hat, but if you ain't got a 4 then that'll be the only choice. With all your equipment, an iPhone 4 is peanuts... :P

gregbradley
11-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have an Iphone 4 and only got it about 3 months ago.

I'll check it out.

Cheers guys, very helpful.

Greg.

Tiotion
11-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Yeh if you get reception... Grumble grumble bloody vodafail....

Omaroo
11-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Ohhh..yeah :sadeyes: Having a Vodaphone contract must, quite frankly, suck.

As much as i dislike Telstra, their 3G network is remarkably good for the area requiring decent coverage. My reception down at our club viewing site in the middle of Belanglo State Forest is better than it is at home! A country users only choice.

DavidTrap
11-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Telstras plans have improved significantly over the last couple of years in terms of included calls and data allowances. I've always been with them because of coverage, but they are finally "competitive" on price too now (IMHO of course)

DT

rally
11-05-2011, 11:43 AM
I tethered my 3G iPhone to my laptop the week the update came out.

Apart from a few issues to get the BlueTooth connection working, it worked very well.
Helps if Blue Tooth enabled is toggled to On your devices !

Better than my internet at home !

Omaroo
11-05-2011, 11:52 AM
iOS4 on an iPhone 4 now gives you "Personal Hotspot" - to literally turn your phone into a WiFi base station - allowing multiple people around you to connect through your iPhone via Wifi, if you let them, by issuing the auto-generated password. It's an absolutely brilliant new feature, and is far easier and more reliable than the old method of tethering via Bluetooth. Just wait until you upgrade at the end of your plan - you'll probably be eligible for the iPhone 5 by then. :thumbsup:

rally
11-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Chris,

I am waiting for the OS update so I can use my 3G in the same was as the iP4 !
I bought it outright from Apple direct - it was much cheaper that way, so I can change anytime, but the problem is - It still works !
So I have no real justification to change and now that I use an Otter Box its going to be near impossible to damage even if I try and play football with it !!

No mobile reception at home and none where I have been doing Astro lately either !
So I cant even con myself to justify the changeover based on new features.

Rally

AdrianF
13-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Personal Hotspot on the latest iPhone upgrade but from what I understand is very expensive. Better off buying a USB dongle, I paid $99 for my telstra one and I put $50 credit on it and I got something like 15 hours of Internet time, skype with video and browsing.

Adrian

Omaroo
13-05-2011, 08:00 AM
'm supposing that it all depends what plan you're on Adrian. My new iPhone 4 is on a business plan that includes 3Gb of data per month. How much did you really want to use? Seems like enough to me, so I don't see how it's "expensive". :shrug:

The_bluester
13-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Again, it all depends on what data is included in your plan cost wise.

But I am actually going to put my hand up as thinking that USB based tethering is a good thing. I used my phone (3GS) as a tethered modem at a car club event last year to keep tabs on what weather was coming (Phillip Island in winter so it really was useful to have access to the BOM website) The advantage of USB tethering was that we left the phone tethered all day in the pit box with the met RADAR site constantly refreshing and as it was USB it kept the phone charged all weekend.