PDA

View Full Version here: : HP 110 Mini netbook running Linux - help needed

niko
18-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Hi all,

I recently bought a secondhand HP 110 mini netbook mainly for sitting on the couch and web surfing.

It runs Linux and has a 16gd SSD.

I wondered if there was any value in upgrading the RAM and putting in a 250gb hard dive and loading windows to then use as astrophotography laptop. Or would it just run so slowly it wouldn't be worth it?

Alternatively maybe I just stay with Linux and use whatever capture software I can for that OS. I found wxastrocapture to use with the webcam but can't figure out what version of Linux the PC is running so therefore which version of WX to install. Any help there would be greatly appreciated. Properties screen says

netbook says "HP Mi (Mobile internet)
release 1.2
Kernel linux 2.6.24-22.Ipia
GNOME 2.22.3

Is there a DSLRFocus for linux?

any advice greatly appreciated.

cheers

niko

Octane
18-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Niko,

Trying to use Open Source software for image capture, mount control, processing, etc., will be a world of pain. I know it can be done, but, why bother with the hassle? I ran an Asus eeePC, 10" netbook, running Windows XP for image capture, mount control and planetarium software, and it ran flawlessly. Also, I was running Starry Night Pro Plus 6 which takes a bit of grunt. Done it all without a hitch.

H

ballaratdragons
18-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Nick, that is the exact model I am writing to you now with.

HP Mini 110, with Intel Atom, 1gb memory, 1.66ghz, etc etc.
Mine is XP Home.

Does me fine for my Astrophotography, imaging with my Canon 350d, while running Cartes du Ciel, surfing the net, etc all at the same time.
Only thing it doesn't like is if I try to do other things while I am doing a LIVE Video broadcast.

Also remember that these machines don't have a disk drive, so everything has to be loaded by memory stick :thumbsup:

niko
20-10-2010, 10:50 AM
cheers guys

all good comments - exactly what this forum is all about really!

Ken - looks like there's something to talk about in a coupls weeks!!

niko

Ken - you must have a larger capacity hard drive than mine - mine is only 16gb

Visionoz
21-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Niko

I think that the flavor of Linux is Ubuntu (I might be proven wrong!!)

HTH
Cheers
Bill

irwjager
21-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Hey Niko,

There's a lot you can do with Linux (it's all I use) and 16Gb.

To find out what you're running do this;

Applications->Accessories->Terminal

Then type in "uname -a"

It should give you a nice long string with all the info you need.

WxAstro - if you can get it to work - is great. And you can even use Registax and (some/most) other Windows software by installing the Wine compatibility layer.

I love my little netbook for Webcam stuff. I record using an app called 'guvcview'.

Oh, and I can't live without KStars and Stellarium (planetarium/charting software). Brilliant stuff all for free! :thumbsup:

Octane
21-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Ivo, note the important words in your post, "if you can get it to work". If someone doesn't know what distribution they're running, chances are they're not going to have much luck trying to get software to compile/install.

As I said, a world of pain. : P

H