PDA

View Full Version here: : details in globular clusters and nebulae

Brian W
19-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Hi all, we own a Meade 8" LightBridge. I am developing an interest in going for detail rather than the big picture. Examples would be the 3 central stars in the Triffid, the incredible details in the central region of M-42 and land masses on Mars.

Just to throw in a monkey wrench I am also trying for the type of view that would have been doable in the mid 1800's. Something definitely less than wide... perhaps even less than 66 degrees.

It would be nice to keep the price below $150 U.S..
Brian

erick
19-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Good collimation, a few nice televue plossls, a 3x televue barlow?

ausastronomer
22-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Hi Brian,

The central star region of M20 is known as HN40. There are actually 7 stars in this group. 4 of these are visible in an 8" telescope. 3 are relatively easy, the 4th will take very steady conditions, but it is definately visible in an 8" telescope. I have seen 4 in my old 8" many times, although 3 is the norm under good conditions.

For an eyepiece suitable for the detail you are after I would recommend a 6mm UO HD ortho. This will give 200X in your scope. These have short eye relief but provide excellent optical quality for high power detailed observations. A 5mm HD ortho would give 240X in your scope, but will not be useable any where near as often as the 6mm.

Cheers,
John B

Brian W
22-03-2010, 01:43 AM
Hi John and Eric, 200 is indeed about where I max out on many nights. I have just dropped a line to U.O.

Thanks,
Brian

mental4astro
22-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi, I'd suggest to also have a look at the TMB Planetary eyepiece range. They are reatively inexpensive

I just got the 6mm (current model, not the Mark 1), and I'm most impressed with its eyerelief, field of view (60 degrees), a incredibly good image quality. I've used it on an 8" f/4 scope (133X), and on a 13.1 f/4.5 scope (250X). Both scopes gave beautiful images with this eyepiece.

Compared to the Meade Series 5000 Plossl 5.5mm I have, the TMB blows it away. Wider field of view, way longer eyerelief, and sharper image. Cheaper too.

Just for fun, we barlowed the eyepiece to the 13.1" on a high-rise building red beacon light about 600m away, you could not only make out the screws holding the cowing in place, but the orientation of the screws.

Brian W
22-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi Alexander, thanks for the input. I am sure the TMB are as good as you say they are but we have already ordered the University Optic ortho.
Brian

ausastronomer
22-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi Brian,

Did you order the "HD" model or the standard volcano top ortho ?

The HD version is IMO unquestionably superior for not much extra money. It has clearly better coatings and internal baffling, which improves contrast and reduces internal reflections noticeably.

Cheers,
John B

Brian W
22-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi John, we did indeed order the HD. With any luck it should be here before Triffid and Lagoon are past me.
Brian