PDA

View Full Version here: : Hyperion Eye-Pieces

Jazza11
11-10-2009, 04:35 PM
I was looking at getting a few more eye-pieces for my collection and decided i want to get a few hyperions probly the 3.5mm, 13mm(or close), and a 21mm my scope is a 10" dob with a f ratio of 4.7 i hear that if u have a lower f ratio the better the ep's have to be to get the best views is this true and do u think these are good choses???

mbaddah
11-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I had the 13mm and 21mm Hyperion eyepiece which I used in my 10" dob as well and they were beautiful eyepieces for the price. Definitely recommend!

JethroB76
11-10-2009, 09:12 PM
great mid-priced EPs IMO; a 5mm or more likely an 8mm would probably see more use than the 3.5mm though

Jules76
11-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Agreed. :thumbsup: I have the 8mm and for planetary viewing, and it gets the most use. Gives me just about the right balance between zoom and image contrast.

I have considered a 5mm or even a 3.5mm, but after using the fine tuning rings (a must get when you buy the Hyperions), which also give me 6, 5 and 4.3mm, I came to the conclusion that if I were to buy any lower than 8mm that it would barely ever get used. I would need perfect seeing conditions to get any real benefit from the magnifications achieved at 5 or 3.5 mm, which I'm just not going to get in the suburbs.

A 13mm with fine tuning rings would probably also be a good option. That would also give you 10.8, 9.2 and 8.1 mm. The fine tuning rings can be a little bit of a nuisance to some having to screw/unscrew them in the dark, but the flexibility they provide in essentially giving you 4 EP's in one, outweighs this in my opinion. Plus, in the case of my 8mm, they ended up saving me spending money on an EP I pretty much wouldn't use. :)

Wavytone
12-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Buy Vixen LVW's if you can - not the Hyperions. The latter are distinctly inferior copies.

Bloodbean
12-10-2009, 08:21 AM
There's a massive price difference between Vixen LVW's and Hyperions though...

RobF
12-10-2009, 09:48 PM
You may not be looking to lash out and buy Televue, but there's lots of good info to read at
http://www.televue.com/engine/page.asp?cat=2

I've been very happy with the views through my 8mm Hyperion in 8" Newt, but are using a 13mm type 6 Nagler more and more.

Once you do figure out what you want through research and looking through other people's gear, I'd suggest its worth waiting for what you want on IIS classifieds too. You can generally sell well looked after 2nd hand gear for what you bought it for.