PDA

View Full Version here: : Imperfections in new Baader zoom eyepiece

hendo
26-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi all,

Not sure if I should have posted this here or in the beginners thread so my apologies if this is not the most appropriate place.

I’m very much a beginner to the astronomy scene and i’ve just bought a Baader Hyperion zoom lens for my 10” skywatcher and wanted to get advice from IIS members about a couple of perceived problems with the eyepiece. I received the eyepiece today and upon inspection I noticed it has two visible defects/imperfections in the coating underneath the top lens. One spot is ~0.5mm in diameter and the other ~0.25mm and both are located in the centre part of the lens.

In addition, at the bottom of the eyepiece there is a very slight but obvious dent on the edge of the outer sleeve in which the inner barrel slides (my apologies if I am not using the correct terminology or if my description is poor) suggesting that the eyepiece has been dropped slightly (without the adaptor on) or something has been dropped onto it. This dent is right on the very top edge of the barrel and doesn’t appear to be affecting movement of the eyepiece zoom. It’s probably only a cosmetic issue (and a trivial one at that) but I expect a brand new eyepiece to look brand new and I am concerned about the potential implications for what may have occurred internally if it was dropped.

The eyepiece rattles slightly if you turn it upside down although I don’t think this is a problem as a quick perusal of the internet suggests this is standard for these eyepieces. However, I would be reassured if somebody who has/had this eyepiece could please confirm that slight rattling is normal?

Due to work commitments, I probably wouldn’t be able to test the eyepiece for at least the next few days and given my inexperience I may not pickup if these defects are causing slight problems. Obviously I want to get this sorted ASAP so I was going to ring up the supplier to ask for an exchange tomorrow but I wanted to confirm if others think these defects are unacceptable in a brand new eyepiece before I do. I’m not anticipating having difficulty with the supplier (Andrews comms) but would like to be informed just in case I do. Alternatively, if I am simply being unrealistic in my expectations I’d rather hear about it first from IIS members rather then the suppliers as I don't want to make unrealistic demands and have any associated aggravation as a result of my inexperience.

Sorry about the long-winded post for such a simple question. Brevity has never been a strong point of mine!

Thanks in advance,

Steve

astroron
26-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Some things may be cosmetic and not effect the performance,but you paid good money so you should have a good quality eyepiece. Also you should not receive an eyepiece with a dent in it, so in my opinion you should return to sender for an exchange or refund.
From what I have heard about Andrews Communications you should have no problems.
Good Luck :thumbsup:

taxman
26-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Hello Steve,

I ordered a Baader zoom a few months ago and had to send it back twice. The first one had a 2" barrel that didn't fit, and the second had a pretty obvious scratch on one of the internal surfaces.

I think it could be with such a huge world-wide demand, Baader may be getting a bit lax on the QC.

Don't be shy in asking for a new eyepiece in unblemished condition - after all, that's what you pay for. And a well functioning Hyperion is well worth it...

dannat
26-08-2009, 09:14 PM
if the coatings show any signs i would be asking for another - a new ep from a company like Baader should be visually perfect imo

hendo
26-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys,

Your replies are very much appreciated and I'm glad your expectations match mine! I'll give Andrews a call tomorrow, organise an exchange and ask them to inspect it before they send it.

@Taxman: just out of curiousity, does your Baader zoom have a slight rattle?

Cheers,

Steve

taxman
26-08-2009, 09:57 PM
The first one did, this one is good though. Good luck with your exchange!

AstroFlyer
27-08-2009, 08:47 PM
I've just checked mine - no rattles/defects/imperfections.
Good luck.

erick
27-08-2009, 08:49 PM
I have a Seben zoom and it rattles - but I think that's normal :P

I was given it for free :rolleyes:

hendo
27-08-2009, 09:58 PM
I rang up Andrew's today and they didn't hesitate to offer to exchange the eyepiece and I even got an apology for the inconvenience. They're happy to give the exchange eyepiece a visual checkover before sending so I am very happy with their customer service (and their excellent pricing!). :)

Thanks for the rattle feedback guys, I'll be sure to ask for a non-rattler too! :thumbsup:

DavidU
27-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Thats great service !