PDA

View Full Version here: : Registax 5 dbk31 processes in B&W

paulee
20-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Hi all, hopefully you can help me out here. I have imaged Jupiter usiing Imagesource software - debayer off at Y800 15fps, roughly 1.02GB. I set Use debayer on in align/options, colour is there, I then select alignment area & align. After alignment it's in B&W all the way through to Final. I've tried Extended mode Vista, Avi > 1GB. With extended mode on default(or Vista) & Avi >2GB ie, extended mode off, I get "Failed to decompress AVI" after 76%. I have Vista 64 & have used Registax before on Saturn & all OK. Any suggestions???

Dennis
20-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Hi Paulee

As a last resort, I’d run the avi through VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org/)and save the file as a new avi and R5 should be able to work with that. I say last resort as it would be preferable to fix your problem so you don’t need the additional step!

Cheers

Dennis

paulee
20-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks Dennis. Will try. B&W was looking good, hopefully the colour will be worth the effort.

paulee
20-08-2009, 09:37 PM
tried it & failed. Puzzling? I even reduced the frames to 1000 & also brought the file size down to 890MB to see if extended mode had any bearing. I reprocessed an old avi of Saturn that was around 600MB & as it's being processed I get the familiar green hue & all OK. It might have to do with extended mode? When off with the VD avi & debayer selected the image expands & almost disapears to the bottom of the view. I wonder if some strange setting is on in RS5. Mind you I tried the avi's on an XP lappy with the same results. I can't figure out AviStack to see if that works better. Grrr!

Paul

Dennis
21-08-2009, 07:49 AM
Ouch – that is bad news! VD has always worked when I have had the occasional dodgy AVI, so I’m afraid I don’t have any other suggestions. Hope you get there in the end!

Cheers

Dennis

turbo_pascale
21-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Without sending you on a wild goose chase, there are various programs out there that can extract the frames as bitmaps. Extract a few hundred, and then try it that way. You will then hopefully be able to determine if it is the AVI causing the problem or the frames themselves.

Turbo

paulee
21-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks Turbo. I'll give it a go a well, otherwise I'll have to get another session if it gets clear again. Pity as the B&W detail isn't bad...

paulee
21-08-2009, 11:51 PM
I used Maxim DL to convert 100 frames & same results, I hit align & B&W through to the end (debayer shows ticked). I'm at a loss.

gmbfilter
23-08-2009, 02:42 PM
I have been having same sort of problems with a DBK21........
I have been playing around with white balance settings and colour settings.

I fiddle with the settings to get as good a Jupiter as I can viewing in colour then switch to Y800 to record

I may be on the right track...but problems with poor focus and poor seeing have given me stacked boobs :sadeyes:

paulee
23-08-2009, 06:40 PM
I do that too, except the white balance is auto & colour as is. I was going to go back to 1000 frames tonight, but as usual the clouds are coming over. My first session was 1500 frames, all became B&W after pressing align, as with the 2nd session of 2000. My bad seeing Saturn previously at 1000 (700 odd MB)where all colour, so appears that anything beyond the 1GB mark are failing.

paulee
23-08-2009, 11:51 PM
After another test -
; 1000 frames (slightly over 1min) at 750MB all OK
; at 1500 frames (1.40min)1.09GB & extended mode >1GB set = B&W - >2GB set = "Failed to decompress AVI" - all at Y800.
Looks like RS5 has probs with debayering >1GB with XP, Vista & W7 RC.

Paul

paulee
25-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi all, a success!

I changed a setting on Virtual Dub to redo the avi. In the Video menu, I changed it to direct stream copy & instead of the file size being bloated in the conversion it was left at the same size 1.02GB. I ran it through RS5, but had to set extended mode to >2GB.

DavidU
25-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Well done ! You sorted it out

turbo_pascale
29-08-2009, 03:46 PM
So are we saying that ICCapture's AVIs are the problem, or Registax just needs an update? If the latter, then perhaps we need to inform Registax.

Turbo

paulee
29-08-2009, 05:53 PM
It does seem to be the latter, but as after running through Virtual Dub & at the same size Registax works. A possible update to RS5 to support the Y800 uncompressed format coming from ICCapture at >1GB, or an update for ICCapture to produce a compatible avi for RS5 at >1GB.

Have you tried processing a >1GB file from your cam with the same results? Mind you, if the focusing/seeing is good on Jupiter 1500 or so frames wouldn't matter & the extra step of VDub(video=direct stream) for >1GB as a mental note prior to processing.

If it's not just me having this problem, informing Registax of the extra step required might lead to a bug they have.

Paul

turbo_pascale
30-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Yep... same problem. Clearly they have some idea of the issue hence all these "special" options for file sizes and OS versions. I suspect replicating it is a bit of a trauma.

Turbo

paulee
30-08-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm happy with the results so far, the extra step dosn't take that long. They RS haven't released an update since March, maybe there's a fi9x around the corner.