PDA

View Full Version here: : Does size really matter?

Robert9
18-02-2009, 04:32 PM
I am considering the purchase of a UHC filter and was looking at the Bintel range. I noted that only their nebula filter didn't carry the comment "Suitable for telescopes 200mm or larger." As my scope is only a 150mm, would the light loss from a UHC filter be too great?
Robert

Starkler
18-02-2009, 04:45 PM
If you're looking at nebula it will help in any sized scope, however the contrast improvement gained tends to diminish in smaller scopes especially where there is light pollution.

Would I buy one to look at nebulae through a 150mm scope from Mt Waverley?
Nope, but then I wouldn't bother looking at nebulae at all from Mt Waverley.

TJD
25-02-2009, 06:07 PM
i have a nexstar 6 se and i would say its not worth it as it is a sct its only worth it unless your imaging and personaly i would not buy one even for my 12" but dont let my have a impact on you desition as this is my coment
(dont read it)

pgc hunter
25-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Well, 150mm isn't *that* small, you will get improvement on nebulae, probably moreso on brighter objects. I've used a Meade Narrowband in my 4.5" scope and loved it.

Your best bet though would be to go to a club star party / viewing night and ask people if you could try their filters in your scope and then decide whether or not to reach for the wallet.

the Mornington Peninsula astro society has public observing sessions down at 'The Briars' on the first friday of each month I think it is.

fragchamp
26-02-2009, 12:42 AM
I just tried out a DGM NPB nebula filter tonight. It loses only a small amount of the nebula light but cuts the stars way back. Made the biggest difference on Eta Carina, where the shape of the nebula became very well defined (because it cuts the Milky Way out). Also of some interest on Tarantula. On M42 I found it of no benefit. How do these nebulae look on a 6" scope? I have dark skies and 12" scope and still wouldn't call Tarantula a bright object. I need five minutes of dark adapting to properly appreciate it.

AstroJunk
26-02-2009, 12:59 AM
My top advice - Join your local Astro Soc, meet some great people and try out all their kit! Eyepieces and filters seem to behave so diferently under diffent conditions and in different telescopes that you really need to 'try before you buy'

Robert9
26-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks for all your responses. There certainly is a mixture of opinions. I think the try before you buy is probably the best option - for a start anyway. I'll be going to an ASV meeting on Friday night (unless I'm frazzled by the forecast heat) and see what I can discover/find. Unfortunately, Mornington Pen. is a bit far for me.
Incidentally, Mt. Waverley isn't too bad. I have been able to view the Tarantula neb. from here amongst quite a few Messiers all within the last month - albeit before the bushfires spread their ugliness over the countryside and into the skies.
Thanks all,
Robert

TJD
02-03-2009, 09:09 PM
theres a reason why they say 200mm ;)again dont let my post afect your desition as i am new to this:D

pgc hunter
03-03-2009, 12:15 AM
I think a UHC filter will perform well at 150mm aperture, but it's best to try first before splurging the money. Ofcourse, melbourne weather has been garbarge, and will be as per usual, but try before you buy.