PDA

View Full Version here: : ethos

mozzie
11-01-2009, 03:16 PM
i see bintel is taking orders for the new 17mm ethos nearly 1100 dollars what a shame our dollar wasnt better any other iis members interested in buying or do they own a ethos love to here there thoughts on them.i have naglers and was told that buying with an 82 deg is excellent the reason they are good is (it gives you a better sweat spot in the middle of the eyepiece) and have found that to be a true statment.not from the bintel team either.save harder and it is a lifetime eyepiece
mozzie

Kevnool
11-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the info Peter , I just cant seem to bring myself to it as much as it would be a grand EP.......Cheers Kev.

mozzie
11-01-2009, 05:03 PM
your right kev but i just dont think ill be able to resist ill get don or michael to bring one for spsp to look through before i buy
mozzie

acropolite
11-01-2009, 05:09 PM
I almost bought the 13mm Ethos when they were a tad over 600....:sad:

mozzie
11-01-2009, 05:15 PM
i was lucky bought a 26 nagler at astro fest of bintel for 550 stocked

Kevnool
11-01-2009, 06:13 PM
I got to admit i umed & arghed about that as well the only thing that swayed my decision not to was the fact ive got the s4000 14uwa.
Cheers Kev.

Rodstar
12-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Mozzie, I have the 13E, and it is an absolute cracker on my telescope. The few times it has been removed from my focuser on group observing nights, and others have tried it on smaller dobs, they too have been very pleased with it.

The 13E is very sharp across the FOV, has excellent light throughput, and takes the Nagler immersion feeling that one step further. On my scope it produces about 190x without Paracorr, and 220x with Paracorr, so it is only on poor seeing nights that it does not get a gurnsey.

I have been following various threads in Cloudy Nights re the Ethos, and it seems that most find one that is nearest the sweet spot for their scope, and will tend to baulk at the cost of the other focal lengths. Having said that, one bloke says his three premium EP's, being the 31T5, 13E and 8E make the perfect kit, and he doesn't need anything else. I would find three Ep's just a little restrictive.

I have worked out that my 13E, with Paracorr, makes about an 11.5mm focal length. Working backwards, if I was to get the 17E, with Paracorr this would become a 14mm EP. As I expect I would use a 17E with Paracorr most of the time, it would double up with the 13E.

I have decided that I will wait for a 20E (fingers crossed), which I will snap up, but I won't get a 17E.

At the shorter focal lengths, at current prices I would find it hard to justify getting the 6E or 8E. Both are about twice what you would pay for a Pentax XW or Nagler at similar focal length. At high power, most people are not so interested in what may lie in the peripheries of the FOV, but each has their own preference. I doubt I will shell out the bucks for a 6E or 8E until our exchange rate approaches parity with the US dollar again (which may be never).

erick
12-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I have a 13mm Ethos on loan for a while. It's worth more than my second-hand 12" Bintel reflector (the whole kit!!) and I will never buy one, BUT, I cannot get enough of NGC 253 (Silver Coin galaxy in Sculpter) with this eyepiece/scope! It is truly an amazing sight!

I did look through a 13mmE when they were first out, but spent my time trying to see the edge stop and complained about what a waste it was producing an eyepiece with 100 deg AFOV. What I didn't look at was the image :doh:. So when I got this one later to check out and forgot about the AFOV and looked at the view, I really did appreciate what it was all about. I'm no expert, but the detail and contrast I see in NGC253 with this eyepiece blows away anything else I have (OK, I don't really have much else of quality, I agree.) I reckoned I was looking at the Milky Way, naked eye - all galaxy and dust lanes across the whole field!

I also took time to look at stars across the FOV (yes with all the bending of the neck to see the edge of field). In my 12" f5, they were pretty sharp right to the edge. Again the experts will probably say it would be better with a Paracorr, but compared to my prior experience, wow-wee!

A tip for the beginners (eg. me!). Remember to remove the 1.25" partially opaque cap before inserting the Ethos in the 2" focusser. You can do without that sense of panic when you are desparately trying to work out how come you have buggered your friend's $1000 eyepiece :scared:

JethroB76
12-01-2009, 03:30 PM
For me the 13E owns the focuser most of the time, I too won't get the other focal lengths (particularly the shorter fl); I'm waiting for something like a 20 or 22mm Ethos