PDA

View Full Version here: : A couple of comparisons

ColHut
07-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Notwithstanding the high cirrus cloud tonight I got out my 4.5" f8 and 10" f5 and compared the GSO 25mm in the 4.5" and the 30mm SV in the 10". They both provide about the same magnification. I was impressed with the larger number of stars visible in the 10" (naturally you say) despite the haze. But as a relative beginner impressive all the same.

I also got a chance to try my new 5mm TMB/Burgess planetary in the 10" on Jupiter. I was very impressed with the lack of distortion right out to the edge of view (AFOV a modest 60 degrees). But it was great to see so many bands in so much detail. Really good. I also note that my meade 9.7mm which whilst crisp in the f8 was really providing too small images seems much better in my f5 - not only 1/3 bigger but still very crisp. Maybe something to do with exit pupil perhaps?

Anyway curses to the clouds but I really enjoyed the views with the new and old eyepieces.

:D

kinetic
17-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Hi ColHut,

Me too!
I think the GSO eyepieces do a reasonable job in the 12 GSO that I have,
I was gobsmacked by the views I got on the first night....

But,

when I slipped in my set of 25 year old Unitron 0.965" eyepieces they
showed up the GSOs as vastly inferior, size for size.

I don't think the Unitron Kellners and Orthos I have were ever exceptional
eyepieces, but, as I have said in another forum, it is a big wrap for the
optical quality of the rest of the OTA.

Invest in a good set of eyepieces at some stage later and you will see
the GSO really perform.

regards,
Steve B.

wavelandscott
17-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Reasonable is a decent description of the GSO line of eyepieces in my opinion. They are a reasonable value and for those dabbling in the hobby will do okay. But, they are not premium glass.

The advice I give to newcomers to the hobby is to use the eyepieces that they get with their scope for a while before spending any additional money.

Once they have some experience at the focuser and a better feel for what they want to look at then and only then I recommend buying the best quality they can...one eyepiece at a time budget allowing.