PDA

View Full Version here: : EP Purchase??????

astroAJ
28-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi all

I just have a few questions concerning purchasing eye pieces.
I’m looking at buying 3 $60-70 EP’s but I’m not really sure which ones because WA Astro shops don’t really have a very big verity in EP brands.
I saw on sale some Optex SP EP for $70 are they worth buying and is the quality good or should I purchase something else.
I have an 8" dob F6 ;)

dazastar
29-05-2008, 06:58 AM
I gave this plug to a guy posting yesterday

go to http://www.kkohki.com/English/kkohkiparts.html

This guy makes the ortho's for university optics, meade, antaries etc and also sells vixens etc direct.

I don't think you'll beat his prices. His service is fantastic, fast turn around on delivery, warranties etc. I usually recieve my orders from japan in 2 days to Queensland Australian

Another good vendor is http://www.andrewscom.com.au
He has a large variety and is, in my opinion, the cheapest in Australia.

Cheers

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/../vbiis/images/misc/progress.gif http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/../vbiis/images/buttons/edit.gif (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=330299)

Starkler
29-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Yep in this age of globalisation you shouldn't feel limited to the local dealer. There can be great savings to be had by buying mail order. I have purchased many items this way including from overseas and never had an issue.
FWIW I have received packages faster from the US than interstate at times.

As for what eyepieces suit you its hard to give advice considering you haven't told us what scope you have and what eyepieces you already have.

wavelandscott
29-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Exactly what I was thinking...it would be helpful to know your current gear and what you enjoy looking at before jumping in with a recommendation...

Clear Skies!

koputai
29-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Well he did actually say he has an 8 inch f6.
In that scope you need something around the 12-13mm mark for most of your viewing (preferably with 60-70 degree field), a wider one (25mm+), and something around 8-9mm for tighter viewing. Don't go for 80+ fields in that price bracket, IMHO they're are basically crap.
I think second hand is your best bet.
You should be able to pick up a Meade QX 26mm (2 inch barrel) on ebay or similar for around the $70 mark. Contrary to popular belief, in that scope they're actually pretty good, and give a nice wide view. These come up for sale reasonably regularly as they come standard on Lightbridges, but they're not fashionable.

Cheers,
Jason.

astroAJ
29-05-2008, 01:12 PM
:lol::lol::lol:
Ok...
I have an 8" F6 skywatcher dob And the 2 EP's which came with it- Skywatcher SP 25mm and 10mm
I also really like DSO so I’m looking for EP's for that area of observing.

Thanks

davewaldo
29-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Hi astroAJ,

I think you would be better off buying 1-2 more expensive EPs rather than buying 3 cheaper ones.

I used to own a 10" dob, and my favourite EP was a 14mm Meade UWA s4000. This cost me $250 second hand but performed like a Nagler. I used this EP for 80% my my viewing. You might be able to find a second hand 13mm Orion Stratus or Baader Hyperion for less than $150, this EP would keep you happy for some time.

I think that buying good quality gear once, is cheaper than constantly upgrading one small step at a time.

Personally I don't think you would notice much of a difference from your standard EPs to a $60 EP.

The 20mm bintel UWA is on special at the moment for only $79. This EP would be a great purchase as it is 2 EPs in one. The bottom element unscrews giving you a 30mm EP. I've had my eye on one of these. Although it isn't amazing in fast scopes below F5 it is a wonderful EP for finding objects as it shows such a large field, it would give good views in your scope (perhaps some seaguling in the outer edges in 30mm mode but nothing to worry about).

So if I was in your position I would be buying a 13mm Hyperion/stratus (same EP basically) and the 20mm Bintel SG Wide Angle. These will be a great combo for DSOs. Later you might like to get a barlow or an 8mm EP for Planets.

Good luck!

Dave.

rmcpb
29-05-2008, 06:03 PM
With your present eyepieces, while not the best on the market, I would agree with David that one 13mm Hyperion would be a real asset. The other two eyepieces are functional as they are.

I would then save for one to replace your 10mm, I would suggest a 9mm Burgess Planetary, good eyerelief and a 60 degree AFOV at about $120.

Add a good 2x barlow to that when finances allow and you are starting to cook with gas.

Make haste slowly and don't end up with a lot of paperweights.

wavelandscott
29-05-2008, 06:27 PM
It would help if I closely read the original post :doh:

While I don't know the Optex brand, I suspect that they are similar in quality to the existing eyepieces that you recieved with your scope...I'd encourage you to use the eyepieces that came with your scope for a while...and I would not rush out and to buy more of the same.

My general advice is to buy fewer better quality eyepieces instead of having a whole case full of low quality eyepieces...In any given night I do most of my viewing with only a couple of eyepieces...so I reasoned I'd get the best that I could for those 2 or 3 (at least to start with).

I'd shoot for as good a quality eyepiece as you can (read as much as you are willing to pay) that gives around a 2 mm exit pupil in your scope...with as wide a field of view as you can get (since your scope is undriven).

From the Televue website...

EXIT PUPIL
The exit pupil is the image of the objective that is formed by the eyepiece. It's where you place your eye to see the full field of view. You can calculate the diameter of the exit pupil by dividing the focal length of the eyepiece by your scope's focal ratio:

Exit pupil = eyepiece focal length ÷ telescope f/#

For reflector telescopes, it's best to avoid exit pupils larger than 7mm or smaller than 0.5mm. Refracting telescopes have no upper limits on exit pupil sizes.

This is similar advice to what koputai was suggesting...

There are a number of good articles on the Televue website in the eyepiece section about choosing eyepieces for small dobsonian reflectors...even if you do not choose any of the TV products, the advice is still valid...

Good Luck!

astroAJ
01-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi all

Ok I’ve used the scope for over a year now. :D
Anyway I think I am coming closer to making a decision. However I do have a few more questions.
What is the quality of the 20mm Bintel UWA and the 13mm Orion Stratus and how well do they perform in a scope of F6?
I have been hearing a lot about the TV Plossls, would they be ok for DSO’s or should I stick to the Bintel UWA and Orion Stratus which gives a bigger FOV?

Thanks

astroAJ
01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Another question does anyone know the quality of the Meade series 4000QX wide angle 15mm.

dannat
01-06-2008, 09:00 PM
I don't think you can beat the tv plossl in the price range, but in the 9mm range the eye relief is a bit tight. the 20mm is great. i had a meade 4000 plossl and was not impressed, but the meade uwa's are very good - but a step up in price. orion stratus are almost same as hyperions, the bintel ultra wide is probably ok for low magnification in a fast scope, but at high power is not recommended.

astroAJ
01-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Hi all

I was looking at the Bintel website and they currently are selling the Orion edge on 16mm 60 deg for only $109 is that a good buy????

So many questions :lol:

thanks

toyos
02-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Splurge a little more and get a 13mm TV Ethos, it's worth it. You can then pretty much forget about other ep's in that range knowing that yours is the best.

JethroB76
02-06-2008, 12:52 AM
I have a feeling AJ isn't looking to spend $600-$700 on a single eyepiece or even in total.

If you're after bang for buck I'm not sure you can go past the Hyperion/Stratus for a decent widefield EP - providing you can live with their weight.
The TV plossls are quality no doubt but you're looking at a fairly narrow field and in some fl's tight eye relief. However you're probably already using plossls - how do you find the FOV?

You will likely not gain much from buying new at $60-$70 each, you will however if you spend ~$150 - particularly if you buy second hand.

Jeff
02-06-2008, 01:01 AM
I've tried the 15mm Meade 4000QX wide angle, and it's very good. However, I found that the GSO/Bintel 15mm superview (under $50) also performs well in my LightBridge dob (68 deg AFOV, lightweight, nice pinpoint stars).

Meade 26mm QX was a bit flakey in my f/5 LightBridge (considerable coma in outer 40% of field), but I agree that it should look better in your f/6 scope.

I know cost is a key factor for you, but my advice is similar to some others below:
- go for 3 EPs (low, medium, high power)
- low (not sure ... I was not happy until I got a Televue Panoptic 27mm)
- medium (GSO/Bintel 15mm)
- high (just 2x Barlow your 15mm .... although a Nagler 7mm would be nice for planets and moon!)

Good luck, and have fun!

Cheers,
Jeff

davewaldo
02-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Hi Astro Aj,

Like others have said, the Hyperion/Stratus Eps will serve you very well. In your F6 scope I don't think you would see any aberrations unless you were very skilled at looking for them. So one of these EPs (probably the 13mm, I'd go Hyperion) would be the best in this price range.

Then, as you don't want to spend loads of money I recommended the Bintel 20mm UWA. Here is some discussion on that EP: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=195379

This EP is also called the 1rpd. I have used it in an F5 scope and it does show some aberration but at the same time it shows a huge field which makes finding objects MUCH easier. Your scope being an F6 would minimise these aberrations, they would also be less when using it as a 20mm EP. In my opinion you don't get good 30mm wide angle EPs until your spending several hundred dollars, in the meantime this EP will serve you well. If you do want to spend more, you could look at importing a Baader Aspheric 31mm. For around $180.

I really think these EPs would keep you happy for some time. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Dave.

koputai
02-06-2008, 10:37 AM
I agree that 13mm is the best bet for your 'middle' eyepiece, in a '68' or 60something AFoV it makes a great general EP in that scope.
However, I'd once again suggest the Meade 4000 QX 26mm as your wide eyepiece. I don't think the 20mm is a wide enough step from the 13mm. I also have an 8 inch f6 Dob and the QX 26mm eyepiece is very good in it. It gives just enough field of view to fit in the Pleiades cluster. It gives minor coma at the outer regions of the field, but it's only noticeable if you look for it. In the f5 scope there's lots of coma, but it's fine in the f6. As I said before, don't buy it new at $150, get it second hand off Ebay for $70 or so.

Cheers,
Jason.

astroAJ
03-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi everyone I have one final EP to inquire about.

The Meade 5000 plossl?

How would this perform in my scope compared to the Meade 4000QX?

davewaldo
03-06-2008, 02:03 PM
I have the 26mm serries 5000 plossl, I like it, but only because I got it for $60 secondhand. It isn't a wonderful performer in an f5 scope, but is still quite good. Basically I expected it to be better considering it's Meade's top of the line.

Oh, and remember the 20mm UWA is really a 30mm UWA with a removable 1.5x barlow on the bottom, so although 20mm isn't a big step from 13mm, you will use it mainly as a 30mm EP. Or you could save a few dollars and just get the 30mm version.

Dave.

astroAJ
06-06-2008, 08:52 PM
how good is the william optics SWA EP's

dannat
06-06-2008, 09:27 PM
I have a swan 9mm, they are ok(better than standard ep's),but i prefer the spl 6mm i bought - better eye relief, and I know the fov is smaller 70- cf 55 but i think it suits me(the spl) a lot better, i don't like looking arund the ep'sfov.
much prefer the comfort of long ER.
I hear the 15mm & 20mm swan's are better than the 9mm.
of the spl's I think the 6mm or 12mm are the best choices.

astroAJ
06-06-2008, 09:36 PM
dannat how much coma is there in the EP?

dannat
06-06-2008, 10:53 PM
if you are talking about the 9mm swan, about the outer 10-15%loses sharpnesss, the 6mm spl is slightly better, only the very edge loses sharpness in my opinion.