PDA

View Full Version here: : First look with Siebert 15 mm Ultra

Solanum
29-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Despite clouds earlier on this evening, they cleared off in time to allow me some viewing before bedtime. Remarkable considering that I only took delivery of my used Siebert 15 mm Ultra and 2x Barlow two days ago, courtesy of Rob Skelton.

When I was considering the purchase I didn't see a huge amount of comment on Siebert eyepieces here (except for Astronut), so I thought I'd add my comments for the sake of the next person looking.

Transparency tonight was good, but seeing pretty poor, consequently I didn't give the 2x Telecentric Barlow much of a work out. I tried the 15 mm Ultra on several objects: Saturn, Omega Centuri, Rigel Kent, Eta Carina nebula, 47 Tuc, and lots of open clusters.

Two things struck me whilst using this EP. Firstly the contrast was superb, easily better than my Televue 20 mm Plossl, which really surprised me. Stars were slightly sharper in the TV 20 mm Plossl, but this may be due to the poor seeing and higher magnification of the 15 mm. My 6mm LV was totally unusable tonight.

Secondly the lack of visible coma, stars were sharp as far as my eye could see towards the edge of the view. The difference in coma between the 15 mm Ultra and my 30 mm 2" MAS was astounding, even though I would expect less coma in a 15 mm than a 30 mm EP.

Big open clusters looked great, sharp stars to the edge, and Eta Carina was a sight to behold, really good contrast. The best view though was Omega Centuari, hundreds of of resolved stars all sharp and the whole clusters filled the field of view perfectly. I spent a long time looking at this and came back to it more than once.

Now nothing is perfect and having a look at Saturn and Rigel Kent (clearly seperated despite the seeing), demonstrated this. There were distinct internal reflections, definitely not reflections from my eye, and with the brighter objects there was more than one visible as well. You could almost work out the internal lens structure from them. On the other hand they weren't very bright and were always away from the object itself, so whilst a little distracting they didn't interfere with what you were actually interested in.

In reality a 15 mm 70 deg AFoV wouldn't be my first choice for planetary viewing anyway, so this isn't too big a problem.

The good points:
despite appearances in some images, the build quality is very solid.
and despite the build quality, the eyepiece is really light.
the pop up eye-cup is very comfortable, the perfect size for my eye, more comfortable than any 1.25" EP I've tried.
excellent contrast.
almost no visible coma across the entire FoV (in an F5 scope).
almost no edge brightening.The bad points:
distinct internal reflections with bright objects.
if you look at Omega Centuari through it you may never bother looking at anything else :DNote that my eyepiece experience has been limited to what I currently own, so I can't compare the Siebert to a top of the line EP.

astronut
29-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Solanum,
An excellent (and accurate) report on the Siebert Optics.
Just wait until you try the Telecentric Barlow!!
I've had people say to me "Gee they're plain looking!!"
My answer is "I look through them not at them!! that's their strength":thumbsup:
I have the Telecentric 2", 2x barlow + the 17mm 2" Ultra + the 9mm 2" Ultra.
Thats all I'll ever need:thumbsup:

koputai
29-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Guys,
I obtained my 7mm Ultra a few days ago and tried it out last night.

Good points:
Light
Cheap
Sharp field
Comfortable and useful eyecup

Bad points:
Cosmetic finish is very ordinary
Abominable reflections

I was pleasantly suprised by the sharpness across the field. Most of the field was nice and crisp, even in the f5 scope. On globular clusters, and little open clusters, the view was nice, with a fairly cool tone.
However, on bright objects, this thing reflects nearly as much as a main mirror!
There are reflections off every surface, and due to this, the splitting of doubles is a joke, you just get two bright stars with a smudge between them at about 30% of the brightness of the stars.
Saturn, forget it. Bright ghosts constantly wander around the image, making it a wholly uninspiring event.
With this shorter focal length, the ghosts are often right on the object being observed.
Up against the 9mm Nagler, there is no contest. Cosmetically the Seibert looks like a backyard job. Visually the Nagler is sharper, and has much better contrast. I popped the 13mm Nagler in a 2x Barlow (making approx the same focal length) and it was far superior, both in contrast and lack of reflections.
Seibert continualy writes about people favourably comparing his eyepieces to Naglers. Wishful thinking I suspect.

Cheers,
Jason.

Solanum
29-04-2008, 10:19 AM
From my perspective, I've never had the chance to use Naglers, but I certainly never expected the Siebert to compare with one, despite what it says on his website. The Naglers are double the price (and TV has economies of scale compared with Siebert, though perhaps offset with higher overheads). For it's price range, I'm pretty pleased with the Siebert (after one nights viewing anyway!), and it adds a new dimension to my current EPs.

I've seen brighter reflections than the Siebert (my 14 mm "ED2" for instance), but never so many! With the 15 mm, they are away from the object and I would estimate them at 10% the brightness of the object, like I said I wouldn't expect to be using the 15 mm for planets or splitting hard doubles anyway. However, I can imagine that at a shorter focal length (e.g. your 7 mm), which one is obviously more likely to use for planets, those reflections would be annoying, as you indicate.

janoskiss
30-04-2008, 01:44 PM
On the few Siebert EPs I've tried, I found the coatings lacking and reflections and ghosting bothersome. Most or all of the coated surfaces appeared to be single layer MgF. For their mid-level pricing I expected a little better.

mswhin63
16-09-2009, 11:30 PM
I am now considering new EP's but want to consider all my options. This and a couple of other post describe the Seibert EP as good overall but has a problem with flaring. Have another person in the club with positive responce but had no time to observe.

I am looking for 2" EP's all together and would prefer lightweight ones for the DOB but am concerned about the flaring. This post was over a year ago and wonder if there is any changes to the EP's that regarding the flaring.

The website suggest good comparison to Naglers, but the pricing is very different and suspect. I would prefer 80+ but would be satisfied with 70+ if worth it.

Any help would be appreciated.:help:

Solanum
17-09-2009, 07:43 AM
I haven't bought any more, but I have used my 15 mm quite a bit now. The ghosting is a real and distinct problem with bright objects. I can't use the 15 mm for viewing most planets and I can't use it for trying to split very bright stars. On the other hand it is very good for DSOs, I can never tire of viewing Omega Centuari through that eyepiece as it is just amazing. You get really sharp stars across the entire field, good colour and it is very comfortable to use. It is also very lightweight for it's size.

I don't know if the design has changed much, you could ask Harry himself, I'm sure he would give you a straight answer.

mswhin63
17-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the post, will contact them.

Visionoz
22-09-2009, 03:01 AM
I had purchased 2" Ultra EPs (7mm, 18mm & 24mm) from Harry early this year (2009) together with the PowerMag Wheel Barlow - they are indeed light and well-built with good workmanship rather than classy and snazzy looking - I suppose "plain vanilla" would be the right way to describe them!

I did not notice the flarings and internal reflections when viewing Jupiter recently and the Moon thru my 12" SW FlexDob and the whole combination of EP + PMW was not too bad considering the convenience factor, of course there were certain combinations that did not work too well eg when the EP fL was not suitable with the mag factor of the barlow which of course had nothing to do with the EPs' quality!

Overall they worked with good crisp images of the stars etc but when compared to say an WO UWAN type of EP (I do have a collection of WO 2" UWANs too) I can safely say that the WO has a better edge sharpness and contrast which makes the background sky seem darker. Other than that I am quite happy with the Sieberts

My 2cents worth!

Cheers
Bill

mswhin63
22-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks Bill,

I had contacted Harry Seibert and he tells me there was an issue sometime ago with flaring but said should not be an issue now.

To what degree the issue is deemed to be a problem I don't know but as my home I can only resolve planets and binary stars due to light pollution I will be a looking at a lot of bright objects at home.

Not sure if you will be a Lunatiks but would be interested to see the difference. Although could possibly be rained as most events have in WA this winter and spring.

Visionoz
22-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Malcolm

On the past two Lunatiks sessions I had first light with my 12" FlexDob and did use the Sieberts extensively and those who had looked thru my scope did not comment about "flaring" issues and neither did I - since the time I received the EPs and PMW barlows I DID NOT notice any of the "flaring" reflections issues either

In fact the 7mm performed admirably on Joop and even viewed the shadow of one of the moons as it transited the planet

Not my intention to encourage/promote or discourage the purchase of Siebert's products either

Cheers
Bill

mswhin63
22-09-2009, 10:48 PM
I am looking for a set of lens and prefer all 2" if possible, the Seibert seems the most economical versus performance. The only reviews I saw were back in 2007 and weren't the best.

I like the promotion/comparson of them along with there affordability.

I have jumped into a few purchaces without thinking and ended with junk. Just making sure this time.

I would prefer 82deg but if the price versus performance is OK I would be fine going to 70.