PDA

View Full Version here: : barlow and eyepiece

baf65
21-03-2008, 04:33 PM
ust been doing some research on purchasing a couple of new eyepieces and a barlow for our Nexstar6SE, wonder what your opinion is of this Meade kit
which I can get from the USA for $99
Meade Super Plossl Eyepiece 9.7 mm (1.25")
Meade Super Plossl Eyepiece 15 mm (1.25")
Meade 2x Short Focus Barlow Lens #126 (1.25"or there is also an OWL Barlow for around $30 or one that is an ED Barlow for $70

also anyone know of anywhere to get a good price on some filters?

thanks in advance!

wavelandscott
21-03-2008, 05:26 PM
While I have not tried the kit that you have identified, I would expect the items to be "äverage" for quality and value...

What eyepieces do you have now?

The OWL Barlow I believe will be the same as the GSO Barlow sold by a number of retailers here in Australia (some under their own name, Andrews, Bintel etc.)

I do not think I would spend money on filters at this stage...depending on the type of viewing that you are going to do they may not prove particularly useful.

I will interject here with my usual comment on eyepieces (and related gear)...It is very easy to feel the need to run out and buy lots of different eyepieces...I've been guilty of this too. My advice is "don't do it" use what you have for a while and then try before you buy additional gear (if you can)...

The opinion that I have gradually formed for me is that fewer in number but higher in quality eyepieces are the way to go. Most nights I use only 2-3 eyepieces...Low magnification, Medium magnification and when conditions allow it High magnification...

Yes, I will admit that I have more eyepieces than that just 3 but it turns out that most nights that is still all I use.

Better quality will help provide the best view that your telescope is capable of...and remember that the eyepiece makes up a big portion of the light chain...which is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Although budget may be an issue, I'd suggest that you consider a single Televue plossl instead of the kit...then as budget allows you can add more. The TV plossls are world class and will last you a lifetime. Additionally, if you ever decide to get out of the hobby, they will maintain a much higher percentage of their purchase price compared to the Meade kit...

Good Luck...

lknowlen
26-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Astromart.com is a good location for purchasing accessories. I enjoy using both the Brandon oculars and the Dakin barlow. TeleVue is another fince choice for eyepieces and barlows. Any thoughts of those?:)