PDA

View Full Version here: : Vixen LVW eyepieces at good prices?

Sharnbrook
30-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Hi All,

I have just noticed an EBay site selling Vixen LVW eyepieces at a "Buy-it-Now" price of approx US $199. Allowing say $20 for postage, and a true exchange rate of say 85 cts (this is what I paid yesterday via PayPal for another item), this still gives a landed price of approx A$258, which is somewhat lower than generally advertised here. What's more, he will ship WorldWide.

Usual caveats, I have no experience or relationship with this business.

Click (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250192701550&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123) here, to go to site.

StarLane
02-12-2007, 11:14 PM
I've heard of Smart Astronomy before. From all reports they have a good reputation. Didn't know they were selling on Ebay. Good price for such an excellent EP. For my next purchase I am thinking about an LVW 17mm.

matt
02-12-2007, 11:23 PM
You can get them here too http://www.optcorp.com/ProductList.aspx?uid=30-718-76-813 without getting nervous about buying on E-Bay:whistle:

They're not hard to find at that price (U.S). Just shop around.

StarLane - from all accounts the LVW 17mm is a very nice EP. About the best in this price range for the eye relief and quality of image.

Stephen65
03-12-2007, 12:11 AM
I bought three of them from Optcorp earlier this year for US$199 each plus postage

space oddity
03-12-2007, 07:47 PM
I have bought a couple of items from this seller before (a scope cover and clutch plates for my scope.) Items arrived no problem(although the clutch plate was the wrong one:(.) The scope cover is great. Check the postage charge with them first, you may be a bit optimistic ! You can get a postage discount out of them for multiple items and you might be able to wrangle a small discount for multiple purchases:). This seller does have excellent feedback, so purchase should be OK.

matt
03-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Just make sure you stipulate USPS.

It's no drama.

Stephen65
04-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Yes, if you are ordering from OPT the online shopping system will give you two quotes for shipping. Don't accept either of them, instead select the option for them to contact you via email with shipping costs. They can usually offer you cheaper options, especially if you are ordering multiple small items.

StarLane
04-12-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm heading to Japan in March. Will be purchasing a couple of LVW's and maybe another Pentax XW. With the strong OZ dollar around 1 to 1, the LVW's will cost me $180 each and the XW5 $270. Very good prices compared with the silly prices here. The LVW is almost half price.

matt
06-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Yes. The prices for these items are silly here in Oz.

I have not, and will not, buy another eyepiece domestically ever again. I would like to support local vendors, and I do with purchases of other types of gear, but not on eyepieces.

I get all mine from the US - either new or 2nd-hand through Astromart.

I don't even buy second-hand domestically anymore because the price being asked is very close to the same price I can get it from overseas brand new...untouched.

Horses for courses, though.

Prickly
10-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Last year I bought some through Astro optical for around that price. They had a 2 for 1 deal going and it worked out about that price.

Ive been very happy with my LVWs. Might be worth ringing around some supplies just in case and asking if you are interested.

Dont know why they are not just advertised at that price straight out either. They might sell more. Could be tempted for another myself.

Cheers
David

Prickly
10-01-2008, 10:06 PM
By the way when I say dont know why "they" dont advertise outright at that price Im referring to all suppliers not specifically Astro optical (who have been not too bad really on vixen gear Ive found).

Prickly
10-01-2008, 10:14 PM
In fact perhaps a group of individuals wishing to purchase approaching the major suppliers and inviting them to tender for the supply of a number of eyepieces might be another approach.

Astro78
24-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Just wanted to comment how much better the LVW 17mm is compared to the LV 15mm I've got. It's brighter (a lot!) and slightly sharper. Believe the brightness is due to the much larger field stop. Strange they don't advertise this.