PDA

View Full Version here: : Opinion's on Meade QX Wide Angle

a1120028
20-06-2007, 06:07 AM
Hi all, I bought a Meade 8" lightbridge as an introduction to astronomy and now would like to experiment with a higher magnification eyepiece.

The scope came with a 26mm Meade QX 4000 series eyepiece. My local retailer sell mainly Meade, where do they scale in quality and value for money as far as eyepieces go.

I've found it to be a little underpowered for what I would like to be looking at but as I'm new to astronomy and don't really know what to buy I thought I'd ask.

wolfman
20-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Im not sure what magnification the 26mm will give you but you will need a GOOD quality wide field of view eyepiece giving around 50X to 60X for the DSO and general viewing, you will use this eyepiece more thany other, and another giving between 100X to 150X for the planets and closer looks to Glob's and Nebula's ect, this would be your minium, Pentax, Televue, Meade 5000 series, and many others will fit the bill.As far as the QX goes I brought one of these and swapped it back to them for a Superwide 5000 the next day, the difference was like chalk and cheese, I could not belive it.

janoskiss
21-06-2007, 11:16 AM
You need several EPs to cover the full range of magnifications from low, i.e. wide field of view, through to high power for close up look at planets, moon, double stars...
The 26mm QX is okay for a low power finder to begin with (although its edge performance is not the best even in the 8" f/6). In addition, you'll also want some higher power EPs and maybe a barlow.

ving
21-06-2007, 12:14 PM
grab a 7mm, 15mm and maybe a 32mm to go with the meade i think would do you... or a 7mm, 32mm and a good barlow.... either way.

rmcpb
21-06-2007, 12:31 PM
The most commonly used eyepieces I use on my 8" f6 are:

33mm Williams Optics SWAN
12.5mm Meade series 4000 plossl
9.7mm Meade series 4000 plossl

I also have a 7.5mm, 5.5mm and a 26mm but would really like to add a 15-20mm.

My point is that the top three sizes cover about 90% of my observing and IMHO are a good basic set of sizes for your scope, however, the choice of brands are up to you.

JimmyH155
21-06-2007, 05:09 PM
I have heard quite a few people knock this eyepiece, but for me - on the 12" Lightbridge it came with, I think it is great:D I only use it for clusters though and it is marvellous. I call it my "Cluster Buster"
Point it in the general direction of Eta Carina (due south) and you will see what I mean

a1120028
23-06-2007, 11:33 AM
I went out with the SA Astronomical society last night and had a look through a few different eyepieces and I don't think my eye is refined enough to see a lot of the finer differences in the brands. I might stick to the lower priced QX for now with a higher power say 15mm and a barlow and see how my "eye" develops over time. The more I experience the more I should work out whats good for me I hope.

BC
23-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi there,

I have a 10" dob and I have the 20mm QX. The fact is, people simply have different tastes. I know the 20mm QX has not been given a very good rap on this (very good) site, but this eyepiece is my most used one. I really like the wide view and don't mind the edges being not-so-sharp. I use it with a 2x Barlow for higher power and like the result. It's always interesting reading other's opinions about EPs, but in the end, you may see things differently. My biggest disappointment was the Televew 10mm Plossl. I find the view to be no better than the 9mm GSO I got with the scope.

Have fun pondering,
Bruce

wavelandscott
23-06-2007, 01:35 PM
I think there is an important bit of information here...

When choosing an eyepiece or any other piece of gear for that matter there are two different set of criteria involved...

The one side is "scientific" and can be measured...field of view, eye relief, contrast, transmission...etc. Different eyepieces will have different "not disputable" specifications...

The second side is (for lack of a better word) "artistic" and people will use perceptions to fill this criteria...and is strongly correlated to experience and eyepiece time.

I beleive that as people gain more eyepiece time, they begin to have much more appreciation for the "scientific" criteria and through experience begin to see even more with the technically improved gear.

The important thing is that you use what ever gear you have and gain enjoyment from it...a $500 eyepiece unused is worthless...while a $20 chinese generic eyepeice that is used regularly can be priceless.