PDA

View Full Version here: : Whats the best eye piece for deep sky viewing?

astroAJ
14-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Hay every one
I’m really new to astronomy and I hear that 2” eye pieces are great for deep sky viewing.
Whats a good eye piece for observing bright nebulas and globular cluster.
I’m on a tight budget.

At the moment I’m using 1.25 eye pieces and an 8" sky watcher Dob

Please give me some tips and info

Thanks
:help:

Kal
14-06-2007, 09:59 PM
What sort of telescope do you have?

ballaratdragons
14-06-2007, 10:00 PM
25mm EP's in 1.25" are fine for DSO, but your question is which 2"

That could start an argument :lol:

Some will say Nagler, others will say another and so-on.

I say for a 'cheap' 2" EP (you say your on a tight budget) is to hunt down a 2" 32mm Erfle. They can be found in The USA around $150 :thumbsup:

Stephen65
14-06-2007, 11:03 PM
The William Optics SWAN series are widely thought to be excellent value for money, the 2" eps come in 25, 33 and 40mm sizes and are A$169 each. You can get them from Andrews Communications in Sydney and a few other places. They are a seriously good eyepiece by any measure, and especially so at that price.

If your budget doesn't stretch that far then any of the telescope shops will sell you Chinese generic widefield eyepieces at prices starting at about $50 - brand names like GSO, Bintel etc. They are decent eyepieces but will probably show aberrations towards the edge of the field.

ballaratdragons
14-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Wow! That is a good price!

They are fairly good if you don't mind the Seagulls in the outer 1/3rd FOV. I use the 2" GSO 30mm Superview and I can put up with the abberations.

casstony
14-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Hi AstroAJ, your question is not an easy one to answer and you'll get many opinions. One way you can go is to buy an Andrews 30mm UWA 80 degree eyepiece ($99) which will give a very wide field of view making it easier to find DSO's. The disadvantage of this eyepiece is that stars in the outer 1/3 to 1/2 of the field will be distorted, but to get the same field of view in a better eyepiece will cost several hundreds of dollars. Since you're just getting into the hobby it's not worth spending megabucks at this focal length on what is primarily a finder eyepiece.

Down the track after saving some pennies you could consider spending a few hundred on a high quality wide field eyepiece between 10 to 15mm focal length. Before doing that you need to get a feel for what magnifications you can typically use(depending on the stability of the air where you observe), so that the expensive eyepiece you buy will be useable almost all of the time.

The idea is to use the cheap wide field as a finder, then swap to the expensive eyepiece to get a really nice view of the DSO at about 80 to 120x magnification.

rmcpb
15-06-2007, 08:36 AM
I have both the 30mm GS superview and for the money its a great eyepiece. However, I have retired that eyepiece and now use a WO SWAN 33mm and for $169 its a beauty!

Stephen65
16-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Just noticed you can do even better than A$169 for the SWANs, A$128 at

http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com.au/