PDA

View Full Version here: : Burgess Planetary clones/backdoor sales?

casstony
20-03-2007, 11:27 PM
There's been some discussion on other forums about copies of the Burgess/TMB planetary eyepieces being sold at various places and it seems like Australia is keeping up - check out the Skywatcher wide angle plossls at Kirk's Camera http://www.kirkscameras.com.au/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=104&keyword=&manufacturer_id=0&Itemid=&orderby=%7Bvm%7D_product.product_na me&limit=30&limitstart=0

Starkler
20-03-2007, 11:38 PM
They certainly look like the same eyepiece but it doesnt mean the performance is the same. Cheap knockoffs may use cheaper inferior coatings, use the older shiny retaining rings or any number of ways to make a cheaper copy.

casstony
20-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Yeah, while the exterior is the same the guts could be completely different - or not. I guess someone could wander in to Kirk's with their Burgess and do a daytime comparison.

Who'd want to be a manufacturer these days.

JethroB76
03-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Has anyone had a look at these clones or whatever they are?:poke:

AstroJunk
04-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Have they been removed? I couldn't see anyting remotely like a TMB Planetary in that list.

casstony
05-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Looks like they have been removed. Also, in that list, I notice a couple of the XW's are about 10% more expensive than they were - maybe we're about to be gouged again by the distributor?